Chapala.com Webboard

A change in TIP issuance rules?

Apoco

Pursuant to recent changes in Mexican immigration law, foreigners with temporary or permanent resident immigration status may not obtain a temporary import permit. (This change does not apply to temporary residentstudents.) Only tourists who come to Mexico for less than 180 days are eligible to acquire a temporary importation permit for their vehicle.

SOURCE: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/mexico.html

Pursuant to recent changes in Mexican immigration law, foreigners with temporary or permanent resident immigration status may not obtain a temporary import permit. (This change does not apply to temporary residentstudents.) Only tourists who come to Mexico for less than 180 days are eligible to acquire a temporary importation permit for their vehicle.

SOURCE: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/mexico.html

I'm confused. I have a foreign plated vehicle and have a temporary resident visa so I don't need the TIP? How does my car get to stay in Mexico without it?

There may be confusion in the US interpretation of that situation. I have not heard of any such changes emanating from Mexican sources. Perhaps Spencer can clarify this, as I think Temporary Residents can still maintain a foreign plated vehicle as long as they are diligent in their notifications to Aduana upon renewals.

Well - sometimes governments have difficulty understanding other government's laws. This would be major news, if it is true. I can't see the Mexican government giving up an easy revenue stream. But then again they precisely did that three years ago, when they gave up annual renewals, and issued a lifetime Permanent Resident Visa, for a one time fee.

Sometimes though, it can cost more to collect tax or paperwork than it is worth - like a giant Ponzi scheme. I tried to find something on Mexico, because I remember a prominent Mexican politician saying something along these lines. I did find this 2 year old article though. Mexico has the lowest tax rate out of the 34 countries which make up the OECD. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/06/us-mexico-tax-idUSBRE9450A520130506

Greece is the word!

On Sept. 12, 2013 the following revision was published to the Ley Aduanera in the Diario Official.

http://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5324941&fecha=09/12/2013

Articles 106 in there states in IV.a the following:

" Por el plazo que dure su condición de estancia, incluyendo sus renovaciones, en los términos y condiciones que establezca el Servicio de Administración Tributaria mediante reglas, en los siguientes casos:

a) Las de vehículos propiedad de extranjeros que se internen al país, con la condición de estancia de visitante y residente temporal, siempre que se trate de un solo vehículo."
So unless someone can find a subsequent revision to the law that was officially published it appears that residente temporales can still bring in and have a foreign plated vehicle here so the quoted webpage supplied by the State Dept. appears wrong.

I'm confused. I have a foreign plated vehicle and have a temporary resident visa so I don't need the TIP? How does my car get to stay in Mexico without it?

I believe this information is incorrect, but aside from that, the OPs post did not say you didn't need a TIP, it said you can't get one.

May be a typo, I havent seen it applied in practice as of a week ago, they may mean permanent residents may not.

The State Department web page cited above directs people to see another Mexican (SHCP) site for details. On that Mexican government site it states:

"In the case of foreigners with a visitor’s permit, temporary resident and student temporary resident may temporarily import a single vehicle, having to present for such permit their valid passport or passport card and the official document issued by the customs authority."

I think State may have got it wrong. It happens.

Archived