Chapala.com Webboard

Temporary Visa and Car Permit

wallywingnut

It is good as long as your Temporal is valid assuming that you 'updated' it every year when your Temporal was/is due. One can't just get it and forget it.

Correct.

Since June 2010's Aduana changes, TIP holders with temporary residency ("No-Inmigrante" visa back then, Residente Temporal now) have been required to notify Aduana in writing of every renewal of their INM permit (visa), providing the new expiration date of their renewed INM visa.

Failure to notify Aduana within 2 weeks of the expiration date of their TiP results in automatic confiscation of their deposit by Banjercito.

If you have a Temporary Resident Visa can you get a car permit for longer than 180 days?

Yes, it should have same expiration date as your TR visa.

If entering Mexico pre-approved it will be 30 days.

Once visa is issued for one year, at local Aduana you get extended for the full year. After one year a TR visa is normally renewed for 3 years and back to Aduana for an extension for the full 3 years. Timing to notify Aduana is critical and many go 2 times, once when payment is made for visa renewal and takes proof of payment and page with NUT number and again when visa is issued. Otherwise, I know many in battles with Aduana and Banjercito for their refund no matter what some may say is the law.

Buen Fin

Sonia

Sonia, what if a TR visa holder leaves the country by car during the period of his visa? Does he cancel the TIP and get his refund, then reapply and pay a new deposit when he returns? What, if any, are the possible complications in the event one simply kept his TIP (not cancel it) when he left the country (by car) and then returned using the same TIP. I note that each time I return NOB, I am asked whether or not I want to cancel my TIP.

Also, I am guessing that a TR visa holder should not use the online TIP system, since that system: 1) assumes one is entering on a tourist visa, and 2) gives only the options of 15 or 180 days as the duration of the TIP.

Sonia, what if a TR visa holder leaves the country by car during the period of his visa? Does he cancel the TIP and get his refund, then reapply and pay a new deposit when he returns? What, if any, are the possible complications in the event one simply kept his TIP (not cancel it) when he left the country (by car) and then returned using the same TIP. I note that each time I return NOB, I am asked whether or not I want to cancel my TIP.

Also, I am guessing that a TR visa holder should not use the online TIP system, since that system: 1) assumes one is entering on a tourist visa, and 2) gives only the options of 15 or 180 days as the duration of the TIP.

When we had a foreign plated car we did what many do, drive out at Laredo and not stop and same upon return. The only issue is if you were unable to return your car to Mexico as canceling the permit is not easy.

I know people with pre-approved visas and they ordered on line. They selected 180 days and rightfully issued a 30 day permit. I do not know what happens when one has say 4 months or 2 years remaining on a TR visa and orders on line. I do sense the system is gaining in sophistication and may be able to properly issue a TIP on-line with matching expiration date. Maybe others can comment. Good question.

saludos

Sonia

Thanks for the information/advice. If leaving through Nogales, it doesn't seem as though you can avoid the booth where they check your TIP. Again, they always ask whether or not you want to cancel it, so effectively it's the same as driving past I guess.

Archived