Chapala.com Webboard

RT renewal and TIP

olyted

Please help me confirm/clarify the information I've found.

Some background:

• I have a Residente Temporal visa, with Permiso Para Trabajar. Some information suggests that having a work visa has an effect on this vs a regular RT.
  • I brought a vehicle into Mexico, and the TIP is tied to the expiration of my RT.
  • My RT visa will be renewed later this year.

Some questions:

• Is it correct that I can go to an Aduana office when I have my new visa and extend my TIP to match new date? Yucalandia & RollyBrook have a nice form for this.
  • Where is the Aduana office in Guadalajara? My understanding is at the airport "across the street from the bus station". The only bus station/stop I know of is outside arrivals (Terminal 1), but I couldn't see an Aduana office/sign last time I was dropping someone off.
  • Is this something I should attempt with my terrible Spanish, or should I get assistance (fluent friend or professional)? I don't mind a challenge, but I'm willing to pay for piece of mind regarding legal matters.

For Spencer: Is this something your office can help with?

Thank you.

In May 2013 Aduana DF decided that that the "new" Residente Temporal con permisiĆ³n de trabajo was their equivalent to the old Inmigrante (FM2), which were not allowed to have temporarily imported vehicles. Aduana DF then established the policy that RT's with permission to work are not allowed to have temporarily imported vehicles, as a continuation of their prior import restrictions for FM2 visa holders.

For reference, the 2015 Ley Aduanera has no mention of it either way

That sends us to the 2015 SAT manual for importing vehicles:
Section 2.2 of the SAT manual for temporarily importing vehicles describes that BOTH ordinary Visitors visa holders and Visitante con permiso para realizar actividades remuneradas (Visitors with permission to work) are allowed to temporarily import vehicles, This is in contrast to the absence of allowing working Residente Temporales to have (foreign-plated) TIP vehicles.

e.g. Section 2.4.b and Section 2.2 only describe ordinary "Residente Temporal" and the special category of "Residente Temporal Estudiante" as the only foreign residents with permission to temporarily import vehicles. The 2015 SAT manual does not include "Residente Temporal con permiso para realizar actividades remuneradas" in their listings of foreign resident types who are allowed to temporarily import vehicles.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/informacion_fiscal/normatividad/Documents/manual_importacion_vehiculos.pdf

Thank you for your response, snowyco - the document will make for an interesting read.

My issue isn't really getting a TIP, however, as I already have one. I know several others that have as well, from at least two border crossings. My assumption had been that I would need to head to the border for a few days once I get a new visa to cancel the current TIP, then get a new TIP on re-entry. I was looking to avoid the long trip with a local renewal.

Your post, and the document, have me thinking it best to seek professional assistance. Even if I take the long shopping trip, I'd hate to get stuck on re-entry and find the rules/interpretation have changed.

I recommend you go to Aduana when you have filed your renewal at INM and take the page with your NUT number (starts with 6 zeroes) and also proof of payment. Of the many I have processed (FYI includes person in charge of US consular agency in SMA) they want you to return again when visa is actually issued. Numerous people are reporting loosing deposits even when following the rules.

I believe Spencer has noted in past through legal action Aduana agreed to allow as much as 15 business days after one receives notice of finger prints to report to Aduana for an extension. Spencer, pls do not hesitate to correct. What I am seeing is that is not working with Aduana at Queretaro airport so we use system I noted.

Also, had a client who's vehicle was totaled in April when hit by a truck with no brakes. The first question from insurance company was to prove vehicle is in Mexico legally. He had not extended the TIP. We went to Aduana at Queretaro airport who issued a letter upon seeing his visa expiration date as being months away stating vehicle was legal. They also stated verbally he lost his deposit which we knew. Aduana was very clear, if you are legal car is legal. (Think what this means :017: ) Deposit is another issue.

Spencer can help.

Buen Fin

Sonia

I recommend you go to Aduana when you have filed your renewal at INM and take the page with your NUT number (starts with 6 zeroes) and also proof of payment. Of the many I have processed (FYI includes person in charge of US consular agency in SMA) they want you to return again when visa is actually issued. Numerous people are reporting loosing deposits even when following the rules.

I believe Spencer has noted in past through legal action Aduana agreed to allow as much as 15 business days after one receives notice of finger prints to report to Aduana for an extension. Spencer, pls do not hesitate to correct. What I am seeing is that is not working with Aduana at Queretaro airport so we use system I noted.

Also, had a client who's vehicle was totaled in April when hit by a truck with no brakes. The first question from insurance company was to prove vehicle is in Mexico legally. He had not extended the TIP. We went to Aduana at Queretaro airport who issued a letter upon seeing his visa expiration date as being months away stating vehicle was legal. They also stated verbally he lost his deposit which we knew. Aduana was very clear, if you are legal car is legal. (Think what this means :017: ) Deposit is another issue.

Spencer can help.

Buen Fin

Sonia

Did you miss the main question the OP is asking? Can they have a TIP when they are Residente Temporal with a "Permiso para Trabajar" added or can they not have a TIP?

Did you miss the main question the OP is asking? Can they have a TIP when they are Residente Temporal with a "Permiso para Trabajar" added or can they not have a TIP?

Yes but OP did not ask that. If you read what OP asked starting with .... "SOME QUESTIONS" that was not asked. :017:

Buen Fin

Sonia

Yes but OP did not ask that. If you read what OP asked starting with .... "SOME QUESTIONS" that was not asked. :017:

Buen Fin

Sonia

It wasnĀ“t directly asked but was inferred from the paragraph above "Some Questions". It seems nobody, so far, knows the answer. I would be interested also.

I answered "YES". I have talked with Aduana many times on this subject and also asked the QRO airport Aduana staff.

And as I suggested the OP should contact Spencer.

This is their number in an email I received March 25, 2015. 800-01-03-01-01-2015 (1568).

Other numbers 01-55-5802-0000 and email: citev_AduanaMexico@sat.gob.mx

For those who have questions contact Aduana. They answer emails quickly and every time I have written. And phoned several times. As to you Alan, you know Spanish and I believe your wife is Mexican so easy to get answers that you say you are interested in knowing.

My experience on these issues come from processing literally hundreds of visas (pre-approvals, renewals, the first PR approved in SMA, amnesty, humanitarian, permiso para trabajar and never having lost a peso for a client; processing several Retorno Seguros, meeting Aduana staff in QRO plus representing clients for refunds; numerous calls to Aduana and Banjercito. And, one of the few who can nationalize cars already in Mexico with not one client accusing me of fraud. Integrity, experience count and proud of my success.

Hi, my office can handle the extension of your TIP, please call us or see us when you do your fingerprints.

Thanks again - and particularly Sonia. Glad to hear that I can renew locally, but I think I'll engage Spencer's office just in case rather than rely on broken Spanish and the kindness of strangers. Fortunately I still have a while.

Just to be clear: YES, you can have a TIP vehicle with RT/trabajo. I brought in a vehicle earlier this year, and the TIP expiration date is the same as my visa. I know others with RT/trabajo who have as well.

A couple of notes if anyone is wondering or planning the same:

• You cannot use the online TIP process. I believe this is for Tourist visa only.
  • You cannot go to a consulate office. With a regular RT I believe you can get a TIP, but at the Denver consulate I was told I must get the TIP at the border because of the work provision.
  • The process at the border was the same (according to what I've read) - visa, passport, and registration (with copies), pay Banjercito and good to go. It took maybe 10 minutes (no line). I crossed at Laredo/Columbia, others at Nogales/Mariposa.

Thanks again - and particularly Sonia. Glad to hear that I can renew locally, but I think I'll engage Spencer's office just in case rather than rely on broken Spanish and the kindness of strangers. Fortunately I still have a while.

Just to be clear: YES, you can have a TIP vehicle with RT/trabajo. I brought in a vehicle earlier this year, and the TIP expiration date is the same as my visa. I know others with RT/trabajo who have as well.

A couple of notes if anyone is wondering or planning the same:

• You cannot use the online TIP process. I believe this is for Tourist visa only.
  • You cannot go to a consulate office. With a regular RT I believe you can get a TIP, but at the Denver consulate I was told I must get the TIP at the border because of the work provision.
  • The process at the border was the same (according to what I've read) - visa, passport, and registration (with copies), pay Banjercito and good to go. It took maybe 10 minutes (no line). I crossed at Laredo/Columbia, others at Nogales/Mariposa.

That's good news, that Aduana has changed their old policy to now partly harmonize how Aduana treats different categories of Residente Temporal visa holders.

Olyted you are welcome. Yes, I always recommend Spencer as we know him professionally and personally and you will be happy with his services.

The person whose vehicle was totaled owns Pizza Pig in SMA and he has a Permiso para Trabajar. It was obvious to Aduana he had permission to work and they extended his TIP knowing this.

What I see almost daily is that with staff at INM, Aduana, Rentas, Seguro Popular, Presidencia, FSPE our new urban police, SAT if I am respectful, professional, patient they do their best with the training, education and resources they have to give clients the service they deserve. I try to stress this on my FB so others will understand this is a country with too many uneducated people, too much corruption, a lack of infrastructure but the vast majority are good and caring people doing the best they can with what they have been given. Nearly all Mexicans are embarrassed and frustrated but have few resources and knowledge to make change.

So be it a TIP, visa, permit, etc there are legal work arounds and while the attitude from Americans and Canadians is the black and white answer, we Mexicans ask how do I make this broken system work. That is why UCD permits work in some states, an amparo allows me to nationalize, Aduana will make TIP OK again without leaving the country if you were illegal and became legal, why there is an Amnesty program. Expats need to think like a Mexican at times and I am still training my husband after 7 years. :-)

saludos

Sonia

Expats need to think like a Mexican at times and I am still training my husband after 7 years. :-)

saludos

Sonia

And, my wife is still training me after 12 years. :D (I have shown some improvement) :D

Archived