Chapala.com Webboard

Tepetate Pien Thai restaurant

bdlngton

A group of about 7 of us had lunch at Tepetate Pien Thai restaurant on Hidalgo in Ajijic. The Lots of different dishes were ordered and everybody gave theirs a thumbs up.

This restaurant is owned by the Thai chef Pien who was at Taste of Thai, Erica who was a waitress at Taste of Thai, and a third gentleman.

The ingredients are very fresh and every dish is made to order, therefore for a larger group they don't all come out at the same time. I had the combo with pad thai with chicken, chicken satay, crispy roll and fresh roll, a real bargain for 80 pesos. I tasted somebody else's tom ka gai coconut soup and it was excellent.

The restaurant is about 2 doors west of the intersection of Hidalgo with Juarez.

Just curious - Is this the same chef who was having immigration problems and therefore the reason Taste of Thai closed down?

Yes, I think I said that in my original post. Apparently there were no visa problems, just an excuse for the owner of Taste of Thai to close. I don't know the true reason he closed. I'm just glad that this chef is still in town making delicious Thai food.

If this is the same chef as was at Taste of Thai, his food may be very good, but he has one recipe for disaster that was operating when our group ate at the former Taste of Thai: How pleasant is it to sit with a group of seven when the dish you and another person order doesn't arrive for 20 minutes to half an hour after everyone else has been served? It isn't fun for the group to be torn between being polite and waiting while their own food gets cold and going ahead to eat while two poor souls have nothing.

Other restaurants don't normally perpetrate this on their customers and there is no good excuse for it, IMO. Let's hope his new operation gets that one solved. I love Thai food, but wasn't impressed at the old Taste of Thai. I'm willing to give the new one a try, however. :unsure:

Our service the other night was perfect and very professional, by one of the owners. The owner at the old place was a complete moron, couldn't direct his own eyeballs, let alone run a restaurant properly. Not only that, he didn't care.

Our service the other night was perfect and very professional, by one of the owners. The owner at the old place was a complete moron, couldn't direct his own eyeballs, let alone run a restaurant properly. Not only that, he didn't care.

What you said., especially the last.

Glad you had a better experience with this new place.

A group of about 7 of us had lunch at Tepetate Pien Thai restaurant on Hidalgo in Ajijic. The Lots of different dishes were ordered and everybody gave theirs a thumbs up.

This restaurant is owned by the Thai chef Pien who was at Taste of Thai, Erica who was a waitress at Taste of Thai, and a third gentleman.

The ingredients are very fresh and every dish is made to order, therefore for a larger group they don't all come out at the same time. I had the combo with pad thai with chicken, chicken satay, crispy roll and fresh roll, a real bargain for 80 pesos. I tasted somebody else's tom ka gai coconut soup and it was excellent.

The restaurant is about 2 doors west of the intersection of Hidalgo with Juarez.

s

The third gentleman is the owner of the restaurant, Antonio Corona, and I understand the young lady is his partner in the restaurant. The Corona family own almost that whole block, starting with the Papeleria on the corner. Antonio seems to be there all or most of the time, and he is very friendly. His son Daniel, and daughter-in-law, Joanna, ran Tepetate as a different kind of restaurant before.

I have been there 3 x in the last 2 weeks. You may tell the chef the degree of heat you want in your food and he will adjust it to your taste.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, Antonio Corona is the owner of this new restaurant. He is a fantastic host! And, our meals were also fantastic. We sat upstairs with a balmy breeze floating through waiting for our meals. The service was fantastic, the waiters are very personable, and Antonio was so attentive. A wonderful meal and experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe they are now open on Wednesdays, and maybe closed on Sunday. Phone number for reservation if needed, 766 2020.

We love this restaurant and have eaten there at least 6-8 times since they moved to the Hidalgo location. Can't say enough good words about them. Seating upstairs is nice, with large open view, more refreshing at this time of year. Service has been excellent. Owner is friendly and professional. I like the Appetizer of 6 Coconut Shrimps with homemade sauce, done perfectly. Som Tam (Papaya Salad, made of green papaya), is another favorite for appetizer. I always order a Curry with Coconut Milk dish (Green, Yellow, Panaeng, Red or Rad Na).

Do give this fine Thai restaurant a try. They have a lot going for them, and I want them to succeed. After eating there, spread the word, as their location is not too visible, since it is not on the Carretera, the Ajijic Plaza, or Colon street, but it is only a couple? blocks west of the Plaza (Bancomer) at Hidalgo 31-A.

It is not on the mountain side of the Carretera. Rather, on the lake side of the Carretera. I guess previous poster was referring to "mountain side" of the street. Just go down Hidalgo (the street going west from the Plaza, where Bancomer is), to 31 Hidalgo, which is on the right side of the street as you go west, and there it is!

Yesterday after lindady's post we decided to finally go check out, what turns out to be, a very nice restaurant. We ate upstairs where the breezes seem to move through quite nicely. Very attentive service, a very refreshing Piña Colada and good size food portions. We liked the location - quiet and not dusty. We'll be back.

We went again on Saturday night, had the $100 peso appetizer plate (yummy as usual) and both yellow and red curry dishes. Their curry is just delightful: both had shrimp that were large and properly seared. We ate upstairs (for the view and the breeeze, and got to see a political march while there), a little worried about "out of sight, out of mind" syndrome, but we were continually attended to in a very professional manner. Just a pleasant experience all around.

Archived