Chapala.com Webboard

Any experience with the Mexico 55 Decibel Noise Law that passed December 2013 or the 066 support phone number?

Anapamu

Any experience Lakeside with the Mexico 55 Decibel Noise Law that passed December 2013 or the 066 support phone number?

-I think the law is officially known as -

NOM-081-SEMARNAT-1994 de la Ley General del Equilibrio Ecológico y la Protección al Ambiente; 8, fracciones III y IV del Reglamento Interior de la Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales.

The law mandates that residential neighbor's noise must always be less than 55 decibels.

262abtk.jpg

This website has a link to download the two page Mexico Decibel Law passed in December 2013.

http://www.saudicaves.com/mx/noise/index.html

Below is a snippet from that website referencing a phone number (066) that supposedly works to enforce the law in all of Mexico.

"Of course you are now thinking, "Theyll never enforce such a nice law."

Well, you may be surprised. I was.

I live in the municipality of Zapopan, which has local laws just as tough as the new federal ones. Zapopan has a phone number you can call 24 hours a day to complain about noise (38 18 2200, extension 3408 or 3342 and ask for Seguridad Pública). On several occasions when my wife or I have called them, they have sent a squad car all the way out to my remote community of Pinar de la Venta and the noisy offender was obliged to turn down the volume. I was told that you can supposedly get the same sort of results anywhere in the country by calling 066 (if you try it, Id be interested to hear what happened)."

The article recommends a great $49 peso downloadable decibel meter app - SPLnFFT.

There are several offered for free in the Apple Store for your iPhone and/or iPad. I have no idea how accurate the free one I downloaded is. I just know I can measure noise levels and am given a running dB meter.

The app is called "dB Volume"

This table doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Are these the noise levels permitted outside of someplace that might be affected or are they the noise levels permitted outside of potential noise offenders? How could one consider a school playground as a noise offender? Where do the local nightclubs masquerading as restaurants fall here? How about this new "disco" in Plaza Bugambillias that can be heard all over the east side?

What are the standards for measurement? Who will have the measuring equipment? That's the key information.

This law rather reminds me of the lack of common sense and enforceability in some of these new laws that have been passed, like requiring mom and pop shops to have the capability of providing computerized facturas and the draconian treatment of car rules.

PERHAPS WHEN THE STATE OFFICIALS OF Ministerio Publico come to LCS we could ask them to check with Attorney general Najera how the new federal law will be enforced and by whom? We could also ask the officials to investigate the allegations of irregularities and payoffs in the building department?

It seems to have worked in Puerto Vallarta, with a new beach club trying to bully it's way onto the strip. Sorry this is such a long, 222 post journey - but in the end, it seems peace prevailed - until Semana Santa!

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k7285958-South_end_of_Los_Muertos_beach_ruined_by_base_thumpy_music-Puerto_Vallarta.html

Guest bennie2

harry, good idea. we need to find out how we can use this law. NOT a good idea to expect "officals" to snitch on other officals. comeon, they all work together. this town has been designated as a party place. in a frac its real easy to get a blasting radio turned off. usually it was workers who made the noise & i was always successful in eliminating it. i wonder if the towns police would do this in the central.

Archived