Chapala.com Webboard

Alarm systems

The most expensive part of an alarm system in the long run can be the monitoring. It depends where you live (how far from the responders) whether or not it it worth paying for it. I live in San Juan Cosala and had my system installed by SOSE. They told me it isn't worth it to have it monitored as I am too far out. By the time their security got to my house the problem would be resolved. The most important part of an alarm system is the stickers they provide that announce to all that you have a security system. Next in importance (to me) is the external siren that should hopefully scare off the intruders. You should have motion detectors in your house that will set off the siren when you are away and someone enters. You should have panic buttons so you can set off the siren if you are home and there is a problem. External motion detectors that set off the siren are a pain but you could have ones that trigger lights.

Only one disagreement with Cedros, the sensors should be OUTSIDE your house as a first line of defence, not inside, if they set them off inside, it's already too late. Outside sensors, good ones, properly installed are NOT a problem, they are essential. As I told someone the other day, baseball bats are too late, I'm not about to get into a kungFu hand to hand with anyone, you want to stop them as far away as possible, hence our walls to start with.

Security systems are complex, they are individual and depend on your life style etc. and if a vendor comes in and slaps a few sensors in, grabs his money and boogies - you just got screwed and paid too much and yes, you will be unhappy.

Outside sensors wouldn't work for me as my dogs sleep outside and wander around in the night and I get terrific winds here and I have lots of vegetation that moves around. It isn't too late if they are set off inside as the perps have always run like hell in my experience with virtually no time to grab anything. I agree it is preferable to stop them before they get inside and even more preferable to stop them from getting into your yard in the first place-a vary secure perimeter.

Cedros you have the wrong kind of sensors, the proper ones will negate interference by dogs and most vegetation, I have tons of palms, you name it and no problems. As I said, a good system not only takes into account your life style, but also your habitat and most "security" consultants" slap a few sensors on doors etc and hold out their hand for a check and the "tail light guarantee" is in force, when their tail lights go around the corner, "yo guarantee is up".

3 years ago the first company from Guad wanted $1,700 and half up front and couldn't even be on time for an appt to discuss the layout, the second local came once, never heard from him again, that was when I designed and brought in my system from NOB. I realize it's not for everyone, but be aware, if all you want is a noise maker, you can buy them cheap.

I would like to recommend the Honeywell ADEMCO LYNXR-1 system. I had researched several company's and still have their prices, etc. The installer and seller of this very sophisticated item is Guillermo Parra Llamas principal of the Equipos y allarmas Company. They are located in Guadalajara, and can be contacted by email at: equiposyalarmas@hotmail.com. www.equiposyalarmas.com The phone number is 3663-9512.

I had this installed about three years ago, and it dials a preset phone number, in my case the guard house at the entrance of our complex. It is totally wireless, with motion detectors in all rooms, contact switches on doors and windows, and so sophisticated that it will tell if battery's are running low. The main panel is beautiful, lighted at night, tells the time, date, etc. It will tell you if the phone lines are down, so that you will know that the phone cannot contact the preset phone number. The total cost, parts, installation, and service was $500.00 US dollars.

Guillermo comes every so often to check the system, batteries, and adjust the lines of sight if you have pets, so that they can roam at will and not set off the alarm. (The alarm is a 12 VDC 116DB steady or yelp trompeta) installed so that tampering with this item will set off the interior alarm on the monitoring panel. I have a two stage system so that at night I can roam the bedroom, use bathroom facilities, and still have the complete front of the house armed at all times. the wireless control is activated with a key fob and I can activate or disarm the system from inside my car.

If you would like to see the system email me at : captnaselli@netzero.net or 766-5687

No, but to Cedros, but I'll be glad to share with you what I have, PM me if you will.

My door is wide open as far as I know.

My objective is to have an alarm with a siren that will scare the bad guys away when we are out of the house. We have been broken into twice in the part 8 months. We have 4 dogs which did not deter the bad guys.<br /><br />I have installed a system supplied by Myron. It is similar to the one described by Captain Naselli and cost around MXN$5,300. It has a loud siren and will dial up to 6 phone (cell or landline)numbers.<br /><br />All the monitored systems either sound a siren at the house or have a silnet alarm that connects with the monitoing office. One of the Lakeside monitored system's office is in Chapala. If they do not get a reply to a telephone call to the house, they will send someone. Probably at least 15 minutes between the alarm going off and the security company arriving. The other one monitors from Guadalajara. They also phone the house. If no response or wrong password, they call the local police. By that time the thieves will have gone. Last time I checked the monitored systems cost about MXN$15,000 to install and about MXN$400 a month for monitoring.<br /><br />If anyone wants more information please PM me.

Cedros, said "you couldn't receive PM's" pm me with an Email and I'll send the info.

Odd. I just got one last week and there are only 3 there.

Oops I checked by messages for the 3rd time and I have a bunch so I cleared them out.

I have an extra security system that I bought in the states that I can sell at cost.

It's a wireless home security alarm system with remote control which includes:
1 Keypad / Control Unit (wireless with Auto-dialer)
5 Door / window wireless sensors
2 Motion sensors (wireless infrared detectors)
2 Remote controls (wireless key fobs)
1 Siren (Indoor, wireless, very loud)
This system calls your phone number, if the alarm goes off.
I can sell it for US$200.00. My friend will install it for 500 or 600 pesos.
If you are interested, you can write me at:
livingincommunitymx@gmail.com
Mike

About those passwords be careful what you choose as a password. I like telling this story.

Maid set off the alarm and doesn't get to the number pad fast enough. Security company calls and asks her for the code word. She tells them, "Poodle". They say try again. So she repeats it. They say we are sending the police that is not the word. Police come, know her, know the owners etc... Couple days later when the homeowners talk with the security company the person says the woman did not know the word. The homeowner spells, Poodle, and that is the word. The security guy located in Monterrey says, no that spells POO-DELL-LAY.

wow! what a paranoia! if people is so wealthy to spend so much in a sec syst this could not be the place to be, people should be enjoying Fla or Hawaii. We never have been robbed, everybody knows that we are under budget and we are not showing jewelry or an expensive car. Thanks God, our lifestyle is enough to show others that we are not worth for them....

Does anyone have a phone number for SOSE. I had my system installed by someone else and it needs to be upgraded.

Thanks

(376) 765 4921

Go to: www.optexamerica.com/productlist.aspx?l1=2&l2=6

VX-402R & BX-80N/80NR @ $150± usd NOB are the 2 styles we have via SOSE. Both are wireless, motion & heat signature activated, we access with MCT-234 Remote Fobs. The system is set for stopping an intruder at the perimeter, it is equipped with an unbearable alarm & to place an auto cell call to the monitoring station. $2,000 usd supplied & installed

I have to cast my vote with the poster above who said something to the effect that by the time the bad guy(s) are inside, it's too late.

Dark and quiet are the bad-guys best friends.

A screamer on the roof that flips on some lights is IMO, probably your best bet for immediate help.

I would also suggest it be hooked to a car battery back-up since if power is cut, it will still work. Oh yes, put a trickle charger on the battery so it's always charged. A good battery, fully charged, can last for literally weeks, and usually CFE gets things back in order in less than that time.

Thanks.

Sally

Archived