Chapala.com Webboard

power of attorney

ISince I moved here on May 1 as a single woman, I havemade all of the necessary arrangments r creamtion etc but I stil do need someone who has power of attorney to access my money in my schwab account should I become incapacitated and am unable to do so.    I have no family or friends here to list as POA and am wondering who does that  - a notary -lawyer, etc.  My POA in CA has no authority here in Mexico as I undestand it .  Appreciate guidance on this last link .  Thanks.  dorothy slater  

(1)  Schwab....... some foreigners here give a trusted person location and PIN of their debit card, to be used for just that purpose. Of course you'll have to make a friend first.    If your POA in California covers Schwab account, then whomever has access in  same kind of case can still do it and arrange to get funds to doctor/hospital/ etc. becasue Mexico has no influence over an an American POA  at an American bank.

(2)  Being here alone, you should consider a Mexican POA (like health power etc) and only a Notario can do that. How much power you wish to confer in other areas would be discussed with same. Pretty sure you could name a family or friend in U.S. to be that Power but they may (?) have to come here  to exercise certain rights.

thanks for replying.  However,  have only been here for three months and as yet have not found a trusted freind - one has to have a lot of trust before giving access to your debit card.  I will try the notary route since i have to make sure this is taken care of sooner rather than later and a US friend is also not a possibility  for the reason you stated.  I am sure I can't be the only one in LC with a similar problem so there must be a way.  

22 hours ago, dottiejane said:

ISince I moved here on May 1 as a single woman, I havemade all of the necessary arrangments r creamtion etc but I stil do need someone who has power of attorney to access my money in my schwab account should I become incapacitated and am unable to do so.    I have no family or friends here to list as POA and am wondering who does that  - a notary -lawyer, etc.  My POA in CA has no authority here in Mexico as I undestand it .  Appreciate guidance on this last link .  Thanks.  dorothy slater  

I don't know if this would meet your needs but you can go online to your Schwab account and download a form to designate a beneficiary. They will distribute your funds to whomever you want upon your death. No need for power of attorney. It's pretty easy.

I have the beneficiaries all named and settled - my problem is getting cash out of my account while living here in mexico should, i god forbid ,have a stroke and not be able to get to the atm myself .  i have gotten all kinds of advice - one being that i sign up now with a nursing home/assisted living place and give them the POA now so that should I end up there, they could get paid - that seems a bit bizzare to me - - i hate to always think about the worse possibilities but in my situation i have to be prepared and that is what i have to do - as I said i have all the beneficiaries listed and if I should go quickly to wherever it is we go, i am covered with a simple death certificate going to scwab, vanguard and my annuity - - it is the" lingering" that is a problem.  When I was in the states, I had a good friend as the power of attorney who could handle this -she is not able to be the POA here in Mexico -

i am using my daughters address in denver - schwab does have an international division i believe whch i will have to check out - the money thing has been the most complicated =and the biggest mistake was not to keep my us number - i think there is way to get one but i haven't figure that out yet - because the security everywhere no needs to send you a code to your phone or test and i can't do either it becomes a question of calling the 800 number which presents another whole boatload of problems - should have moved to miami - but i will would have had to learn spanish!!!!!!! 

As much as you would like to have all your I dotted and ts crossed,There are some issues that are not feasible for you situtation. Regardless what you may told by a Notoria t is or other expert, you best get a trusted friend or relative on you bank account. If you do not have either, then sadly your screwed, and Mexico is not for you

• Sad 2

Can you daughter access your schwab account? Open a bank account in Mexico and have your daughter send money or do it yourself to your Mexican bank when you want it  so you can limit the access to your fund in general.It is easy to transfer finds from Schwab to another bank including a Mexican bonk. While you are well you can withdraw with your Schwab card but if you are not your daughter can control what goes into Mexico and check the withdrawls. DO not give a POS to a nursing home, that is crazy.. You could do automatic basic payments to them but do not give them POA

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dottiejane said:

i am using my daughters address in denver - schwab does have an international division i believe whch i will have to check out - the money thing has been the most complicated =and the biggest mistake was not to keep my us number - i think there is way to get one but i haven't figure that out yet - because the security everywhere no needs to send you a code to your phone or test and i can't do either it becomes a question of calling the 800 number which presents another whole boatload of problems - should have moved to miami - but i will would have had to learn spanish!!!!!!! 

Actually there is more Spanish spoken in Miami than at Lakeside. If you cannot speak Spanish in Miami you have difficulty getting a job!!

• Confused 1

depending on  where you are in Miami obviously.

I take the comment as an off handed a tongue and cheek comment not as an insult to anyone . It is not a bad idea to learn Spanish if you live in a Spanish speaking are no matter where and  although Lakeside may seems to be an English speaking area  it is not, when you scratch the surface.and there are instances when you could be sorry you do not speak Spanish.

3 hours ago, dottiejane said:

Just a FYI from my experiences here: (1) I have seen a Notary that was given POA  by a resident like you, clean out a nice house and take the 3 cars (2 antiques worth lots of money)(I'm sure clean out the bank accounts here BEFORE he notified the family NOB.  (2) I keep a prepaid, cheap, at&t telephone bought at WM NOB where I put $25 every 3 months on it to use for those bank security messages. Seems a cheap and convenient way to manage that problem. (3) Here, you know no one and please don't place your trust and your life in the hands of  someone so sweet and caring that you are not 100% sure about. Remember you are in Mexico, not Kansas. Don't get in such a hurry that you just accept anyone or anything. Unless you are on the verge of Hospice Care, you will have time to do it correctly. BELIEVE ! Best wishes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Whoa!!!  How to insult the culture and people of the country you chose. 🤥

oh dear i suppose if you knew me personally and didn't make assumptions you would know that - i certainly meant no isult to either the people or the culture - am not sure how you got that but guess this is the world we live in these days - in my day that would have been taken as a joke - but even dave chappelle has trouble these days .  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

for all of you who think I am insulting the culture and do not want to learn spanish - be calm - It was a little joke told me by a Miami resident I met here --I didn't take it as an insult coming from her and never thought it would be considered one on this weboard.  and I am studying spanish as we speak.  There - am I allowed to post again - hope this doesn't get like twitter .  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dottiejane said:

oh dear i suppose if you knew me personally and didn't make assumptions you would know that -

My sincere apologies DJ.  Sadly there are FAR too many foreigners here who neither want to / try to learn the language.  In our  over 2 decades here  the worst are the ones who say "..... I've been here  xxx years and I've NEVER learned a word of Spanish.... and why the he** should I?"  (always with an arrogant tone)   So yes, I did jump to a conclusion.

Felicidades on your Spanish lessons y ¡¡que tengas MUCHO éxito!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dottiejane said:

thanks for the excellent advise which i will take of course - the phone would also save me a ton of frustration but what i WMNOB - that i haven't heard before - d

WM- Walmart

NOB- north of the Border (the US)