Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel phone in us & canada

Having read postings on the forum about using the Telcel phone outside of Mexico it seemed like a no problem. Well  we crossed the border into Texas and no more phone, we can text.

We have the Amigo plan which is 26 days for 150.00 pesos. Do we need a different telcel plan to make this work? or do we need to make settings of some kind  on our cell phones.

If you have ideas on this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, peterth said:

Having read postings on the forum about using the Telcel phone outside of Mexico it seemed like a no problem. Well  we crossed the border into Texas and no more phone, we can text.

We have the Amigo plan which is 26 days for 150.00 pesos. Do we need a different telcel plan to make this work? or do we need to make settings of some kind  on our cell phones.

If you have ideas on this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Dial 001 before you dial the US 10 digit  number. Worked for us.

The Amigo sin limite works perfectly for me in the US and Canada. Check your SIM card, you may need to replace it, as warned on telcel website, because 3G networks telcel used to default to in the US are no longer supported. Your sim card must be 6.2 version and support volte:

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/la-red-de-mayor-cobertura/red-tecnologia/4g/volte

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Telcel has states you will need a phone with VoLTE capability after July 1 2022 to access the network in the USA as they are closing the 3G network

If you want to see if your phone supports VolTE enter your number on this page:

Activa VoLTE - Voz de Alta Definición | Red 4G LTE Telcel

On another note, newer iPhones support 5G (at least my 12 does and 6S does not). Check the option under Cellular/Cellular Data Options/Voice & Data. There's also a Data Mode on that same screen.

• Thanks 1

Not referrring to US coverage, but we received a notice on our phone last week from TelCel, essentially saying that they are discontinuing 3G coverage as of July 1, 2022.

It indicated that our SIM card may not be compatable with our 4G phone. 

Sure enough, we went into Tel Cel on Thursday and they said we needed a new SIM card.    A new SIM card, only 116 p, put us back in business.     

On 6/30/2022 at 10:24 AM, MakeItSo said:

The Amigo sin limite works perfectly for me in the US and Canada. Check your SIM card, you may need to replace it, as warned on telcel website, because 3G networks telcel used to default to in the US are no longer supported. Your sim card must be 6.2 version and support volte:

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/la-red-de-mayor-cobertura/red-tecnologia/4g/volte

I have the same plan. I would say that I think my connections when I am in the states worked more quickly and with better service when I had AT&T. I believe that this is because when I fly into the States I am still in their network and not having to switch over. The only reason I have Telcel is that for some reason in my immediate neighborhood in Riberas the AT&T service is very poor. Many of my neighbors told us that when we moved here. When I lived in Bucerias AA&T worked very well.

On 7/1/2022 at 7:40 AM, peterth said:

I thank everyone for the info, our sim cards are 6.4 and we have volte turned on. we did get a message from Telcel that we now have to change the 001 to +1 

For what ever reason our phones are now working.

How do you know/find out what “release” (6.2 6.4) your SIM card is? Thanks. 

The Canadian Snowbirds magazine reported that coming this fall there will be a cellular plan that will work seamlessly in Canada, the US and Mexico. 

33 minutes ago, Ericanuck said:

How do you know/find out what “release” (6.2 6.4) your SIM card is? Thanks. 

Click on the link I posted earlier and enter your Telcel number. If the result says your sim supports voLTE then you have a current version or at least current enough. If the test fails you can go to Telcel and ask for an updated sim.

53 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

Click on the link I posted earlier and enter your Telcel number. If the result says your sim supports voLTE then you have a current version or at least current enough. If the test fails you can go to Telcel and ask for an updated sim.

my Spanish is not great but it looks like this is telling me all is good. Many thanks. 😊👍

image.thumb.jpeg.2bee5d69bd9237c46b2afb8ed835e2ab.jpeg