Chapala.com Webboard

Electricity ??

What is up with the electricity?  Already this morning, and for the past two or three days it is off-and-on, off-and-on.  It is like someone is just turning the electricity off and on with a switch.   I am in upper Ajijic.  It messes with the computer which takes longer to get back where you were when it went off, then the computer was off.

1 hour ago, Floradude said:

What is up with the electricity?  Already this morning, and for the past two or three days it is off-and-on, off-and-on.  It is like someone is just turning the electricity off and on with a switch.   I am in upper Ajijic.  It messes with the computer which takes longer to get back where you were when it went off, then the computer was off.

I reckon you would need to ask CFE.

I use Chrome and if there is an outage when it comes back on it asks me if I want to restore my pages. Very convenient. 

1 hour ago, Floradude said:

https://www.walmart.com.mx/computadoras/accesorios-para-computadoras/reguladores-y-no-breaks/ups-cyberpower-cp685avrlcd-8-contactos-685va-390w-cyberpower-cp685avrlcd_00064953200687?msclkid=3bdb4252b7c9160898ea20ea37f1907c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=mg_lf_bing_ecomm_pla_1p_3p&utm_term=4581115210520314&utm_content=mg_sem_pla_1p_3p

Or something similar

I've also had the same problem for the last few days although n outages in the past 24 hours. Mine only affected 2 rooms, one of which houses the security DVR with an old UPS that doesn't have a manual alarm shutoff. Overnight Saturday the power dropped 6 times between midnight and 7am each lasting about 5-10 minutes. Didn't get much sleep being wakened by beeps every hour.

My computers and TV area have newer UPS on them keeping them alive during short outages and offering time for a normal computer shutdown should it appear the outage will be longer. Like the other morning when the power went out after 3 booms. Some trees at the carretera & 5 de Febrero blew into the overhead power line and tripped the transformer breakers. CFE came several hours later to restore power but the pile of limbs they trimmed are still there.

The outages are 1 to 2 seconds and maybe repeated frequently, or not. Several days ago I counted 11 times in a two hour period.  I too have Chrome and the ability to restore whatever I was working on, but it still takes several minutes for a 2 second outage.  I then ask myself, should I go reset the time on my microwave clock, or is it going to go off again  (and again, and again).  Should I restart the computer only to have the power go off again. The TV if on will automatically come back on.   I have been here 19 years and I am used to outages of various times from minutes to many hours.  I do not recall a pattern like this before.  This morning I think it was only 3 or 4 times.  It is so quick that I might not know it had even happened except my microwave makes a noise every time it shuts off for the electric outage, or of course if I am on the computer I definitely know.  The two neighbors I would normally check with are both away in Canada for a vacation.   

Don't forget a few weeks ago when transformer somewhere between Joco and Guad (Morelia highway connection) was in a fire and it did that for many hours ........ west AJijic worse than upper,  but affected all the way to Riberas or so.  I finally disconnected everything in case of a surge (some protectors better than others in our house) and waited it out.

I'm having 5 minute outages in the same 2 rooms overnight and during the day. Yesterday there was also a short complete outage. 

The partial house outage could be a low voltage situation but I haven't caught them with my ohmmeter to be certain. For those with outages is it the total house or just part, consistent with one phase dropping?

That's right, John. Many homes have only one or two phases. A few of us have all three phases. And when one face goes out, a second phase, will have a very low voltage and the third phase will not be effected  And if you notice that two phases are out, the third one will be out too. (I think)

My advice is to contact CFE, and if the problem isn't solved continue to contact them.  The constant on/off usually indicates their breaker system responding to something. Sometimes it indicates that they are working on it somewhere, but if it doesn't stop eventually then it hasn't been fixed. They have been having a lot of low voltage issues lately and usually they know about it, but I don't know how much automatic monitoring they have and they may not be aware of every event. I had the same problem  a few days ago  (and have had the problem several times in the last few weeks) and reported an outage to CFE. The system was restored to normal after an hour, but they sent a crew to our house 24 hrs later to investigate it as an isolated problem. Be aware that if you use the automatic reporting system on CFE Contigo, they may not let you report it again if the report is still open. I would then keep trying by phone to complain.

1 hour ago, econ man said:

My advice is to contact CFE, and if the problem isn't solved continue to contact them.

Definitely, to all:   Call 071, this is the CFE service line to report problems or outages.      Be sure to have your meter # (6 digit alpha-numeric) or the RPU service # from the CFE bill, (this is the 12 digit # starting with 472...... for those in the CFE Chapala / Ajijic service area).

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 11:51 AM, John Shrall said:

My computers and TV area have newer UPS on them keeping them alive during short outages and offering time for a normal computer shutdown should it appear the outage will be longer.

Here's an example (for others) of what a UPS can do for you.

Right now, I'm using one CyberPower RT650 UPS (650VA/400W, 6 Outlets) with only a Synology NAS (network-attached storage device) plugged-into it. The UPS has more outlets, and a 16 outlet power strip will also be plugged in when I can afford the disruption.

The NAS has four 8-TB drives in it, but since it's a whole computer system it can do more than just storage. One trick is that by connecting the NAS to a UPS, I can get emails about power outages. They look like this:

screenshot-mail.google.com-2022_06.28-14_49_34.thumb.png.0b48e125c2412f49583782eb36dcc5bb.png

screenshot-mail.google.com-2022_06.28-14_50_23.thumb.png.d0c2546e842802025d2724560d8d2854.png

The power evidently went out around 1:55 pm today, causing the NAS to begin drawing power from the UPS (a kind of intelligent battery), and then it switched back to AC when the power came back on a minute later. We never noticed.

When I'm done, everything important here (notably, networking gear) will be connected to a UPS -- but the NAS device is especially vulnerable to ugly shutdowns, so it has dibs.

LQ

We're seeing daily requests for backup energy systems, as never before.    We believe it is a combination of the local grid issues, combined with general awareness of the availability, accessibility, and improved pricing and reliability of energy storage and backup power that kicks in automatically when the grid is not available (most systems are less than 10 ms switchover time, or less than the blink of an eye).

The system shown here was installed last week in Ajijic centro, combining an inverter-charger and a 5 kWh lithium ion PowerWall "battery".     It can charge from either the grid or the rooftop solar panels, and is setup and connected to automatically power the essential loads of the home day and night.

The solar panel power connected to it is enough to both run the essential loads, and recharge the battery, in the event of an extended outage.     

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-27 at 9.47.32 PM (1).jpeg

• Like 4