Chapala.com Webboard

taxi question

Buses are more reliable and economical than taxis. Taxis are catch as catch can and if you go out to dinner you might very well have to hoof it home, as they don't work late.

Many people who choose to go carless find a driver that they use say, once a week, after planning to do all their weekly errands in one outing. This is not economical, IMO, but saves frustration when taxis are non-existent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chapalence said:

Buses are more reliable and economical than taxis. Taxis are catch as catch can and if you go out to dinner you might very well have to hoof it home, as they don't work late.

Many people who choose to go carless find a driver that they use say, once a week, after planning to do all their weekly errands in one outing. This is not economical, IMO, but saves frustration when taxis are non-existent.

Thx..buses not a current option

I find taxis quite reliable and a much more economical option to having a car. The trick is to develop good working relationships with several taxistas , plan ahead and tip well. I find the bus to be unreliable, overcrowded and the schedules totally unpredictable. I have lived in this house in SAT for 10 years now and used to ride the us wherever and whenever I wanted. Not now. Sometimes they stop, sometimes they don't/. Sometimes the wait has been as long as 40 minutes. I just waited it out on that one to see how long it took. I typically walk to destinations with 1 mile +/-, but a bum knee has put a kink in that manner of getting about. If you can plan ahead, it almost always works out.

• Like 1

We also live in Riberas and use taxis all the time.  We have a regular taxi we call and usually try to do it an hour before we will need him.  If he is not available he will send another taxi.  We also get Taxis at the taxi stands in the plazas in Chapala and Ajijic.  You can also usually get taxis at Walmart and Soriana.  For trips to Guadalajara and the airport we make arrangements a day or two in advance.  We have even had them pick us up at 3 in the morning.  The buses start on time in the morning but later in the day you never know  what time they will show up but usually not over 15 minutes for a wait.  In the afternoon and evening they will be so far off schedule you will often find one bus following another one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chapalence said:

Taxis are cheap so no reason to not use them if you don't have a car.

I'm lucky and have a car and bike. So no need for bus or taxi. But I see why someone would like a taxi over the bus if they can afford it.

• Thanks 1

Taxis are cheap? Not in the Lake area compared to other places in Mexico that is for sure. In San Cristobal I pay 35 to 40 pesos anywhere in toen Here 70 pesos to go 8 blocks.. not cheap at all but convenient if you have to carry something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1