Chapala.com Webboard

For anyone in Ajijic who has hooked up to TotalPlay recently

6 minutes ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

Won't work if they call me in Spanish.  I can hardly hear English.

I gave you the information on the other thread. I use Edge as my browser and it makes websites in Spanish easier to read. I would suggest you do it online but the 800 number does allow you to choose English as an option. Would cranking the volume on your cell phone help at all?

Grateful we contracted with TotalPlay last Friday due to frustration with iLox outages. They installed it Sat. morning and we're making it our primary internet provider since iLox is out, AGAIN!!! They are saying they've repaired the problem(s) but CFE is dragging their feet on re-connected electricity to the affected area of the initial damage.

Either way, GRATEFUL to have at least one of internet providers working and working well. Hopefully iLox will be back on later today.

Salud!

Val Jones :)

Anyone had any issues syncing TotalPlay with a second modem dedicated to a VPN?  That's our current setup, the second modem runs off the VPN and is simply plugged into the TelMex modem without any need of special setup on the TelMex modem.

I think I'll go see if we can get hooked up by talking with the WalMart rep.  What hours are they there?

44 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Anyone had any issues syncing TotalPlay with a second modem dedicated to a VPN?  That's our current setup, the second modem runs off the VPN and is simply plugged into the TelMex modem without any need of special setup on the TelMex modem.

I think I'll go see if we can get hooked up by talking with the WalMart rep.  What hours are they there?

I think maybe you mean a router that is plugged into the Modem/router you have from Telmex.

A router should be no problem 

Wish I could give you my experience but I use a access point behind mine to extend the range.  My vpn is installed on the computers attached to my tv's.

Now I do know routers can be configured to stop you from installing another on the customer side. Not saying total play does this but it could be done. Niot many ISP do that.

13 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I think maybe you mean a router that is plugged into the Modem/router you have from Telmex.

A router should be no problem 

Yep.  

Sorry.  I'm a low tech redneck when it comes to this stuff.  Heck I started out using slide rules and those Smith Corona mechanical calculators.  :D 

2 hours ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

You should be safe unless totalplay likes to be jerks and stop you from putting a router in your house.

They don't care. There's no black magic in their gear. The device TotalPlay issued me is effectively an optical network terminal (ONT), analogous to a cable "modem." Simple tech.

Pretty sure you can buy your own for $20-30 USD. Folks often buy a pair so they can run fiber to an outbuilding, instead of ethernet (and its 500' limitation) -- or for safety, because fiber's non-conductive.

And you could make a good case for pulling fiber instead of ethernet in a Mexican home. Better cosmetics and it'll fit through a smaller conduit. The downside is that each terminal must be powered. No such thing as power-over-fiber.

LQ

1 minute ago, Lou Quillio said:

They don't care. There's no black magic in their gear. The device TotalPlay issued me is effectively an optical network terminal (ONT), analogous to a cable "modem." Simple tech.

Pretty sure you can buy your own for $20-30 USD. Folks often buy a pair so they can run fiber to an outbuilding, instead of ethernet (and its 500' limitation) -- or for safety, because fiber's non-conductive.

And you could make a good case for pulling fiber instead of ethernet in a Mexican home. Better cosmetics and it'll fit through a smaller conduit. The downside is that each terminal must be powered. No such thing as power-over-fiber.

LQ

What they made ups for 😀. Been thinking about buying land and build what we want... and you read my mind fiber thru the house in place of copper.  But install a wall battery unit 14k ish where the solar charges it first then rest is sent out to the grid. And a switch that senses when power goes out and then routes all power to the home thru the wall battery unit. Best of both worlds since it's like 53 peso every 2 months to keep access to the grid here.

• Like 1