Chapala.com Webboard

Low-tech guy with question

Here's where I'm lost. I added a speed test app to my iPhone. If I manage to get the Telcel website on my iPhone with wifi shut off, do I leave the website and go to my speed test? I'm guessing the speed test wouldn't be testing the Telcel website.

13 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

Here's where I'm lost. I added a speed test app to my iPhone. If I manage to get the Telcel website on my iPhone with wifi shut off, do I leave the website and go to my speed test? I'm guessing the speed test wouldn't be testing the Telcel website.

The speed test isn't specific to any site. It shows you how fast the speed is on your phone, regardless of what site you are on.

Some apps and websites are more data heavy than others, so if your speed is too low, some may not work, or take too long to connect to, so they stop loading.

For instance, a site or app that just has some text can easily connect, those that have a lot of images may require higher speeds to load.

It can also help if you clear stuff out of your phone's memory that you don't need.

It's testing the speed between you and the site it chooses. For example, I check the speed using 

Try going to that link. It will show you both ends of the speed test. This all may seem a bit confusing but at least you will get your internet speed serving the device you use to run the test on

38 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

No need to use an app. Just open chrome and access the link   https://www.speedtest.net/  That I posted earlier and that Pete re-posted. 

• Haha 1

I can't see my BBVA accounts when the site is inaccessible because of lost wifi connection. When I take the phone to the bank they spend minutes reestablishing the connection and tell me it's because of wifi. It then works for a couple of days and then not any more.

If I disable the wifi connection on my iPhone, the speed test shows 1 mbps. So my wifi connection to my iPhone is working for everything except the BBVA website where I need to go to get the code that will let me access my account on my PC. The only reason I have an iPhone is because I have to have one to get the code to access my bank accounts. (I have a Mexican and German bank account)

6 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

If I disable the wifi connection on my iPhone, the speed test shows 1 mbps. So my wifi connection to my iPhone is working for everything except the BBVA website where I need to go to get the code that will let me access my account on my PC.

I just checked the Telcel network and it was 15 down. I think your phone might be the problem.

Have a friend try their cell in your house and check their speed results.  Also you could try the BBVA prefered customer number for technical help in English with the BBVA app

4 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

What's the Telcel network? The website?

A network is the system your device is connected to. For instance, some people may use Telcel, some may use ATT, some Moviestar, etc. It is the company you are signed up with.

When your phone is connected to your home Wifi, it is running on the Telmex, Ilox, Total Play, or whoever you get your internet from.

When you turn off the Wifi connection, your phone is using the Telcel network.

1 minute ago, kmetzger said:

When I turn off wifi, I don't see any way to do a speed test.

Then you don't have mobile data turned on.  Turn it on. Check your speed. 

If you still can not use the BBVA app call theBbva  prefered customer number for English help. They will get a tech on the phone with you.

1 hour ago, kmetzger said:

It's a brand new phone. I don't use it for anything except for accessing my bank accounts. No phone calls, nothing. What's the Telcel network? The website?

Since you mentioned you don't use your phone for calls or anything except banking, do you have any kind of mobile service plan from a carrier such as Telcel, AT&T, etc.? If you do, you'd be paying a monthly fee to Telcel, or AT&T, etc. Are you paying such a fee? Is it possible you use your iPhone with WiFi only and don't have a mobile service plan for calls and data?

7 hours ago, kmetzger said:

I buy $20 pesos worth of credit once a month

That is your issue as far as not connecting with the Wifi off. As others have said, 20 pesos on Sin Limites expires in 24 hours. It's virtually useless.

If you don't use your phone for calling or texting, only to connect to data and use your banking app, you can buy an Internet Amigo paquete, rather than the Sin Limites paquete, that will give you data, but no ability to phone or text. (although you could use Whatapp to phone or text, because that only requires a data connection). For 200 pesos, you will get 3.5 GB of data, which lasts for 30 days. 

I'm not sure how that compares with the paquete ferret mentioned above, how much data you get on that.

If you only need to connect to the BBVA app occasionally, then you could continue only buying 20 pesos worth, but you would have to do that on the day you want to use the BBVA app, because it will only last for a day. If you need to use the app 10 times in a month, then you are better off spending the 200 pesos/month, which will enable you to connect as much as you want without running out to buy 20 pesos worth every time.

I'm curious as to why you don't use your phone for anything else. I'm not a techie, either, and really resisted getting a smart phone, using my old dumb phone for ages when everyone thought I was weird. But like you, I needed a smart phone for something- I moved to where there are no phone lines or fiberoptic, so couldn't get an internet connection without using my phone as a hotspot to get an internet connection on my computer. 

That's really all I used it for for the first year, then realized all the things I could do on the smart phone. Like look at the traffic on Google Maps if I need to go somewhere, to see if it's bottlenecked somewhere so I can take a different route. And take photos and use Whatsapp to call or message friends and family all over the world. And I definitely use it for calling and texting, and can look at this forum or other websites I frequent while I'm standing in a bank line-up or having to wait somewhere.  I use it for the alarm clock, the calculator, and to listen to podcasts while I'm working out in the garden. There's so many things you can use your phone for, if you have any interest in doing so.

On 6/12/2022 at 3:00 PM, kmetzger said:

When I turn off wifi, I don't see any way to do a speed test.

That is the whole problem.    Your 20 peso plan is only good for 1 day.    Get a monthly plan and renew it regularly.      The speed test via the wifi connection is not valid for the cellular data which is the way your bank is communicating to your phone.      Your drip-drip-drip of info on this thread is painful and wasting everyone's time who has tried to help you.       MOD please close it.    

17 minutes ago, virgo lady said:

That is the whole problem.    Your 20 peso plan is only good for 1 day.    Get a monthly plan and renew it regularly.      The speed test via the wifi connection is not valid for the cellular data which is the way your bank is communicating to your phone.      Your drip-drip-drip of info on this thread is painful and wasting everyone's time who has tried to help you.       MOD please close it.    

First clue.... Spends hundreds of dollars for a super high tech phone for only one function. Could have bought a cheap android and 5 years of service for less money. 

Better to tell BBVA I have no smart phone  please sell me the code generation fob.  I asked for one because I said multiple needed to access the account ... took a little talking  finally set me up with one. Said I would have to pay$500 plus IVA, but never charged the account.  

So I have the app on my phone, and the fob for quick use of the computer anywhere

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Better to tell BBVA I have no smart phone  please sell me the code generation fob.  I asked for one because I said multiple needed to access the account ... took a little talking  finally set me up with one. Said I would have to pay$500 plus IVA, but never charged the account.  

Yep, they want everyone to use the app but I suspect they still have those fobs, you just have to talk them into it. I did a year ago. Exactly the opposite of you (what else is new in Mexico?), the woman I was dealing with told me it was free of charge, but they made a 250 peso charge for it that appeared on my bank statement.

Problem solved. Yesterday a bank employee found a quick solution to my problem of not being able to open my BBVA account on my iPhone. She went to my App Store, opened the BBVA website and I got the access I needed. Now I hope this is a permanent solution.

Congratulations. However, it would have been useful for you to have asked to see what she did so you could start to understand some of this tech stuff you need to do. Many of us are not particularly tech proficient, but if you don't bother to pay attention to the solutions, you can't ever hope to be able to become more knowledgable and self-sufficient. 

My 91 year old stepmom navigates her smartphone like a teenager, Facebooking, booking flights and accommodations, etc. If she could learn this stuff, we all can.

And BTW, it is good online etiquette to thank all the people who took the time to try to help you out.

• Thanks 1