Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Low-tech guy with question


Recommended Posts

I use my iPhone only because I have to in order to get a code to access my Bancomer account on my PC. My iPhone sits next to my Telmex PC modem and works fine with a good WiFi connection most of the time. Every few days, however, it stops working when I need it for the access code. I go to settings and check the location and everything looks good but there's no WiFi for Bancomer. I go to my bank and they spend five minutes resetting everything entering their passwords, etc. and it works again for a few days.

My question: if I ever get fiber optic here in Villa Nova, Ajijic, will that make a difference? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with the modem. It works just fine for my PC and my iPhone except when the connection to the iPhone is lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This may or may not be pertinent.  Sometimes I stop receiving security access confirmation codes on my iPhone.  I turn Airplane Mode on and then turn Airplane Mode off.  Then the confirmation codes begin to function normally again.  I'm not a systems expert and don't understand what may or may not be behind this.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Brian. Your solution didn't work for me. Even my tech guy has to go thru a bunch of configurations to get my wifi working again for my iPhone. He tells me it has to do with location, but I can't figure it out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Banks generally send out those access codes by (cellular) text message to a cell #.    If this is the case for you, then the WiFi connection would not be relevant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, my bank sends the code to my cell phone, but I can't get access to my account on my cell phone because the wifi connection is lost just for my cell phone, not for my computer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe you are saying you are using the BBVA app on your iPhone to access your account but at times when you want to do the same on your PC you need a code or what they call a token to gain access. I’ll make that assumption.

First, the phone does not need a wifi connection to sign onto the app. Not necessarily recommended unless you are using a VPN but wifi doesn’t have any bearing on using the BBVA cell phone app.

Recently BBVA moved the access to the Token Móvil from the opening screen. You used to be able to generate the code for your PC without logging on the BBVA app. Now you must login using the cell phone successfully. Then on top right area of the screen touch the 3 bars which is the app menu. The third option down is Token Móvil. Touch that and then Generar Código to get the 8 digit code needed to log in on the PC. 

You can change the portal options to eliminate the need for a token on each login but even when you do that it will be needed if you haven’t accessed the bank your PC in a long time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

Recently BBVA moved the access to the Token Móvil from the opening screen. You used to be able to generate the code for your PC without logging on the BBVA app. Now you must login using the cell phone successfully. 

That isn't true. I have had a BBVA account for years and I do not use the app at all. I log in to my account on my PC using the electronic token. 

I do understand that they seem to be making anyone who wants to open a new account use the app, but that doesn't seem to hold true for users who already have accounts. 

When I had to go in a couple years ago for a new token when the old one had a bad battery, they did try to tell me I needed to use the app, but I told them I didn't have a smart phone (which wasn't true) so they backed off on that.

I never get sent codes. Not sure what those are for. But I do get SMS notifications of deposits and withdrawals on my old dumb phone, which I keep charged up but never put any time on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The OP said he needed to use his cell phone in order to access the BBVA portal implying he does not have one of those old token generators banks used to use. My guess is that those devices have gone the way of the dinosaurs and are no longer available for new accounts. If you have one it will work until it stops working. Bancomer, Multiva and Actinver all discarded them years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Shrall said:

. Bancomer, Multiva and Actinver all discarded them years ago.

I don't know why you insist on saying what is incorrect. I was given a new electronic token a year ago. It is different from the old ones, in that it reads the QR code off the screen, then generates a number you type in. The old ones just generated a number when you turned it on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember tossing the Actinver token years ago but perhaps it was after I closed my account. My apologies. 

Multiva wanted the token back a few years ago switching to app only even though the app is severely lacking and rarely updated .

The OP does not have a token so maybe an option is for him to return to BBVA and ask for one in lieu of the phone app. He'll either get one or not. 

i hope he updates us with his progress or solution.  Bank processes change frequently so what we think we know is no longer applicable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kmetzger said:

Yes, my bank sends the code to my cell phone, but I can't get access to my account on my cell phone because the wifi connection is lost just for my cell phone, not for my computer.

Turn off the wifi connection and use the cellular carrier's connection to the internet. Should work just fine and it is just as secure as your home wife.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Low-tech guy responds: my cellular carrier? Would that be Telcel? How do I find its connection to the internet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kmetzger said:

Low-tech guy responds: my cellular carrier? Would that be Telcel? How do I find its connection to the internet?

Yes, Telcel. You don't have to "find" its connection to the internet. If you have a Telcel plan or paquete, it comes with a certain amount of cellular data each month. This is your phone's cellular internet connection whenever you are not at home or somewhere you can access a Wifi connection. 

So your phone already receives cellular data without you having to do anything. 

If you are switching from your phone working off your home Wifi to working on its cellular connection, you have to go into your phone's Network settings and switch off the Wifi connection. Then it will be working on the cell signal. When you want it to work off your Wifi connection, you turn the Wifi setting back on.

In fact, if your phone keeps losing your Wifi connection, go to this setting and try turning  it off and back on again, which might reset it.

When I am at home, my phone data works off my Wifi connection. As soon as I am not home, and it is therefore not picking up my Wifi connection, it just automatically starts using the cell signal to access data.

I can assure you I am low tech, too. But this is pretty simple stuff.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, John Shrall said:

The OP said he needed to use his cell phone in order to access the BBVA portal implying he does not have one of those old token generators banks used to use. My guess is that those devices have gone the way of the dinosaurs and are no longer available for new accounts. If you have one it will work until it stops working. Bancomer, Multiva and Actinver all discarded them years ago.

 

11 hours ago, John Shrall said:

I believe you are saying you are using the BBVA app on your iPhone to access your account but at times when you want to do the same on your PC you need a code or what they call a token to gain access. I’ll make that assumption.

I go to the BBVA website on my PC. I enter my account number and password and am told the code has been sent to my iPhone. I enter the code and can now access my account. This works nicely for a few days until I can't open the bank app on my iPhone and thus cannot get the code. The bank clerks tell me it's because my phone is not getting a wifi signal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

 

I go to the BBVA website on my PC. I enter my account number and password and am told the code has been sent to my iPhone. I enter the code and can now access my account. This works nicely for a few days until I can't open the bank app on my iPhone and thus cannot get the code. The bank clerks tell me it's because my phone is not getting a wifi signal.

I may be even more low tech than you, so I can't explain this.

I had the same problem on my last phone, a Moto G android. Some days it connected just fine and other days I had to walk around the house until I found a spot where it would connect to the wifi. Moving about would cause it to lose the signal again.

Same house, different and much better android and I never have the same problem.

With your device, you might try different spots in the house to see if it makes a difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trouble is, when I lose the connection I take it to BBVA there's no connection there either, and the bank clerk spends minutes in settings until she solves the problem. My real question, I guess, is not how to fix it, but whether a faster internet connection via fiber optics, for example, would improve things.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kmetzger said:

Trouble is, when I lose the connection I take it to BBVA there's no connection there either, and the bank clerk spends minutes in settings until she solves the problem. My real question, I guess, is not how to fix it, but whether a faster internet connection via fiber optics, for example, would improve things.  

As I said, very low tech here, so I can only tell you what fixed my similar issue. A new phone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, kmetzger said:

Trouble is, when I lose the connection I take it to BBVA there's no connection there either, and the bank clerk spends minutes in settings until she solves the problem. My real question, I guess, is not how to fix it, but whether a faster internet connection via fiber optics, for example, would improve things.  

You are using the BBVA app to generate the token right? Can you just access your account using the app? Or is it intermittent as well?

I assume you find the website using the computer is easier to navigate for you?  

So how does your phone work using your wifi for other websites?   

Go to this website and check with your wifi connected to the phone  and see what your speed is

Then go to settings  disable wifi connection and do the same test and see what your speed is. 

https://www.speedtest.net/

That will at least tell you if your connection is the problem or the problem is probably your phone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you, Mostly. I get websites on my iPhone using Chrome, for example. My speed test for my iPhone shows 4 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload. My PC internet speed is 3.0

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

Thank you, Mostly. I get websites on my iPhone using Chrome, for example. My speed test for my iPhone shows 4 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload.

 

That should be more than enough for the app to function properly. Are you able to check your accounts on the app?

Is that with your wifi? if so it is very slow.  Try turning off wifi in the phone settings and then test the Telcel network.  You can use whichever is faster when you want to access the BBVA app. 

Always the Telcel network speed could be slower on weekends because of the increased number of phones from tourists

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...