Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Has anyone purchased small battery-powered lamps for when the power goes out?


Recommended Posts

Last rainy season when we lost the electric and I was almost out of candles, I went out in the garden and brought in the solar lights. It was dim light, but better than nothing. I also have a wind-up flashlight that requires no batteries and no electrical charging. It even has a USB charging port to get some juice on a dead phone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Last rainy season when we lost the electric and I was almost out of candles, I went out in the garden and brought in the solar lights. It was dim light, but better than nothing. I also have a wind-up flashlight that requires no batteries and no electrical charging. It even has a USB charging port to get some juice on a dead phone.

Interesting ideas.  I`m going to look for a windup flashlight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Frijoles said:

Also, don't forget the flashlight on your phone if you have nothing else.

Yes, true, but if the electric is out, meaning you can't charge the phone, it will use up the battery. Years ago, when I bought a new laptop at Office Depot, it came with an extra perk of a small battery pack. I never would have thought of purchasing such a thing, but I have used it many times to get phone or laptop juice when the electric has gone out for extended periods of time and keep it charged up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, true, but if the electric is out, meaning you can't charge the phone, it will use up the battery. Years ago, when I bought a new laptop at Office Depot, it came with an extra perk of a small battery pack. I never would have thought of purchasing such a thing, but I have used it many times to get phone or laptop juice when the electric has gone out for extended periods of time and keep it charged up.

These usb charging packs are wonderful. Keep 3 around charged so I can recharge any of my usb items esp my security cameras. Keep one in the car that has a solar recharge mat. Emergencies 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Knowing how some batteries leak and ruin connections eating them up I'm thinking about using a product I've used on radio gear thhat goes to the coast. It's called Corrosion Block and is in a bluish can with white cap. There are other marine products but I'm stuck on this one. So if you do use battery lights maybe thing about using some sort corrosion preventative sprayed on the contacts of lights radios or generally any other battery powered thing hanging around unused. Looks like some Walmart's sell it. It can go on active circuit boards too. Currently my mind is blocking out the horrors of time I've opened devices to the horror of the batteries ate things :)

On the lamps there are some real nice fancy fire preventing ones I watched a video on a while back. Real interesting seeing the history of lamps.

 

CorossionBlock.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep small electronics, like the remotes, my little battery pack, my electronic bank token, and extra batteries in a Tupperware box with a container of moisture absorbing beads in it. It keeps all those things from corroding. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 6:45 PM, sm1mex said:

We bought 2 chargeable emergency lights a year or so ago. Walmart  on the bottom shelf where they sell light bulbs. They are very bright. It has a lower bright setting or higher bright but not much difference. I used mine last night. We were without power all night. It has several lights in a bar. It is recommended when not in use for months plug in every 3 months just to keep it charged. I think light lasts about 6 hours or more. Very bright. If you pm me your email I will send you a photo. I don’t know how to put a picture on here. These lights light up the whole room. The best. Don’t know if Walmart has them now but could send you picture and model and maybe you could order them in Mx. they are a life saver when no power. No candles no flashlight batteries when they are dead when you try to use them. 

Thanks so much, sm1mex.  Could you post here the brand and model?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pictures posted above were blank for me. The info I have on the 30 LED rechargeable light for 8 hours has Handi Works on the side of it. Model LAME—30-HW. Totally rechargeable with cord electric when you need it the next time. We bought it at the Walmart light bulb section on the bottom shelf. I’m sure it’s not in the same place. Maybe you could check with the new hardware store just east of Ajijic Guadalajara to see if they have something if Walmart doesn’t have a rechargeable light. Mine is very bright. Lights up the whole room. If you want me to send you pictures pm me  your email. I sent to another person via email. I think they tried to post the pictures but the frames came up blank for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We use camping lanterns. Ours use D cells and are so old they probably count as antique. I recently replaced one via Amazon. If you are interested in one just for reading and not for lighting a general area, look up "Beam and Read." They are hands free as they are for needlework, have an adjustable strap and tiltable beam for work placement. Love mine. In addition, I have a fully charged , lipstick sized charger for my phone. You might consider a rechargeable power back, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 6:44 PM, sm1mex said:

The pictures posted above were blank for me. The info I have on the 30 LED rechargeable light for 8 hours has Handi Works on the side of it. Model LAME—30-HW. Totally rechargeable with cord electric when you need it the next time. We bought it at the Walmart light bulb section on the bottom shelf. I’m sure it’s not in the same place. Maybe you could check with the new hardware store just east of Ajijic Guadalajara to see if they have something if Walmart doesn’t have a rechargeable light. Mine is very bright. Lights up the whole room. If you want me to send you pictures pm me  your email. I sent to another person via email. I think they tried to post the pictures but the frames came up blank for me. 

Thanks for the additional info.  I`ll check both Walmart and the ferreteria.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...