Chapala.com Webboard

Closing an Account at HSBC

HSBC bank experience today   OVER THE TOP  😖     after arriving 9:40 a.m.
1. ASK at cashier:  want to close account plus get xxxxx   pesos cash
2. ANSWER:  please sign in and do all at once in front of "executive"      YAY only one person ahead of me!
3. wait 10 extra minus after that person is taken, served, and leaves
4.  want to do  interbank wire from this bank to xxxx bank in Ajijic, and get $$ cash as well
5. yes you can get $$ cash BUT if want wire, have to order today and come back tomorrow to sign  W T F ?????  OR.... we can give you
    cashier's cheque today.  Yes, do that      no way coming back tomorrow, especially it being Friday (traffic)
6.  takes forever... as usual  fingerprint reader hates me    finally get over that
7.  wait some more   sign many things  (GOOD thing I am titular or could not have done without co-titular's presence)  finally she tells me "take  
    these 2 pages, stapled together, to cashier. There you can get cash and cashier will issue cashier's cheque for balance of account".
8.  wait in line     only one cashier and several clients.......what's new???   get my turn    get the cash not too much problem BUT then he says
    "that man back there has to be involved  please take a seat   I'll call you when ready    should be about 5 minutes"
9.  Of course takes longer, but in the end I get it.
10.  And NOW... the icing on the cake:  First person said I have to come back before the end of June to actually close out the account. ?????    
      Stuck my head in the door later and asked "account is empty. what happens if I don't COME back?" "Oh, it will start accruing monthly
       charges because you are below the minimum balance"👿    
Could not even bother asking how they were going to recover same......like blood from a stone?  And in case you care, nobody involved in any of this spoke a word of English (not a problem in my case) so guessing would have been longer otherwise???  Departure time?  12 NOON......
  • Like 1

A friend of mine once said "Mexicans were born to wait".

Many years ago, back in my 20s, before the days of debit cards and ATMs, when we still used travellers' cheques when we travelled, I went to cash a travellers' check at a bank in Oaxaca. I was the only customer in the bank and there were 3 employees. I had to go to the first one, who did something, then walk a few steps down the counter to the next one, who did something, then a couple more steps to the next one, to get handed the cash after some more paperwork.

Efficiency is generally an alien concept here. I order Sunbrella fabric for my upholstery work from a distributor in Guadalajara. The distributor then gives it to a shipping company who drives to PV with a truckload of stuff from many different places. I'm in Sayulita, so the transport truck drives right by here on the way to PV. Yet they used to drop off my package at their bodega in PV and then load it on a small truck a couple days later and drive it back to Sayulita, a one hour trip in each direction. I asked them, since the guy drives right by here, why not just leave it on the transport truck and driver can call me when he is on his way back to Guad., and 5 minutes from the turn-off to Sayulita, and I can meet him at the Pemex on the highway and retrieve it. They agreed that was a good idea, and that is what they now do. But it never would have occurred to them had I not pointed out how silly it was to do an extra 2 hours of unnecessary driving.

• Like 1

I had a similar experience at Banamex and then I just pulled all the money out and never went back. so let them accumulate whatever they want, I will never borrow money  and have a credit card with another bank so accumulate the charge... eventually they will get sick of it and leave us alone. It was my husband s account, never accepted that I close it and he could not access the bank so adios.

• Like 1

Just went on line to confirm today's transactions there.  Hello??? She SAID the account balance today would be zero.  But it shows the 2 transactions and still has a balance of $200 pesos.

Any bets on that being the "fee" for me to be able to close the darn thing completely?   LOL LOL LOL

Neither organizational skills nor any concept of customer service. I went in there to open an account because it's the closest to me with parking. Went through the whole process (multiple copies of ID) and then the young man asked me for my phone. Whuh? He said he had to install the app for me to do banking. Okay. Except that I would never use a phone for banking because I think it's too insecure (my opinion). Then he said that my cell phone was too old to accept the app. I said it didn't matter because I would never do banking over a cell phone. Then, he informed me that it was the ONLY way to access your account outside of the bank. WHUH? There are two things wrong with this scenario 1) that I should have to purchase a more up-to-date expensive cell phone 2) you need to physically go to the bank if you don't have a cell phone that works with their app. There is no website to access your banking. I was flabbergasted. I asked to speak with his supervisor and he directed me to the desk behind him. I stood there for a good five minutes before he even looked up and said in an irritated voice "I'm busy". I turned and walked out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Yes but now you have to have the app on your mobile phone to activate it on your computer.

That is not a true statement.  We do NOT have any apps on our phones nor do we have tokens for HSBC.  Two minutes ago I entered the site to see if my U.S. Social Security check had been deposited.  No apps, no nada.   https://www.hsbc.com.mx/

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

Ferret    We use HSBC website regularly here in MX.  Just got new ATM cards 2 weeks ago and no one asked to put an app on either of our phones.  

Ibarra I think you're like me..... fairly long time client.  Pretty sure this app thing on the phones is a new one, but people already have on line banking without, then still good to go.  Probably why I was able to go in yesterday AFTERWARDS to see zero balance was not, in fact, zero balance.

53 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Please read the link I provided. This is what is required NOW to open an account.

Fair fair my friend.   Now and then  are obviously not the same. But I was talking, in my own case, about "then".......     

That's one of the things that put me off Bancomer when choosing the change. They INSISTED phone app as well.  NOT EVER in my world!!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 2:20 PM, Natasha said:
HSBC bank experience today   OVER THE TOP  😖     after arriving 9:40 a.m.
1. ASK at cashier:  want to close account plus get xxxxx   pesos cash
2. ANSWER:  please sign in and do all at once in front of "executive"      YAY only one person ahead of me!
3. wait 10 extra minus after that person is taken, served, and leaves
4.  want to do  interbank wire from this bank to xxxx bank in Ajijic, and get $$ cash as well
5. yes you can get $$ cash BUT if want wire, have to order today and come back tomorrow to sign  W T F ?????  OR.... we can give you
    cashier's cheque today.  Yes, do that      no way coming back tomorrow, especially it being Friday (traffic)
6.  takes forever... as usual  fingerprint reader hates me    finally get over that
7.  wait some more   sign many things  (GOOD thing I am titular or could not have done without co-titular's presence)  finally she tells me "take  
    these 2 pages, stapled together, to cashier. There you can get cash and cashier will issue cashier's cheque for balance of account".
8.  wait in line     only one cashier and several clients.......what's new???   get my turn    get the cash not too much problem BUT then he says
    "that man back there has to be involved  please take a seat   I'll call you when ready    should be about 5 minutes"
9.  Of course takes longer, but in the end I get it.
10.  And NOW... the icing on the cake:  First person said I have to come back before the end of June to actually close out the account. ?????    
      Stuck my head in the door later and asked "account is empty. what happens if I don't COME back?" "Oh, it will start accruing monthly
       charges because you are below the minimum balance"👿    
Could not even bother asking how they were going to recover same......like blood from a stone?  And in case you care, nobody involved in any of this spoke a word of English (not a problem in my case) so guessing would have been longer otherwise???  Departure time?  12 NOON......

I closed an account there but only with the help of a lawyer and the HSBC assistant manager. The assistant manager agreed that the process was bizare

On 6/3/2022 at 8:27 AM, Ferret said:

Neither organizational skills nor any concept of customer service. I went in there to open an account because it's the closest to me with parking. Went through the whole process (multiple copies of ID) and then the young man asked me for my phone. Whuh? He said he had to install the app for me to do banking. Okay. Except that I would never use a phone for banking because I think it's too insecure (my opinion). Then he said that my cell phone was too old to accept the app. I said it didn't matter because I would never do banking over a cell phone. Then, he informed me that it was the ONLY way to access your account outside of the bank. WHUH? There are two things wrong with this scenario 1) that I should have to purchase a more up-to-date expensive cell phone 2) you need to physically go to the bank if you don't have a cell phone that works with their app. There is no website to access your banking. I was flabbergasted. I asked to speak with his supervisor and he directed me to the desk behind him. I stood there for a good five minutes before he even looked up and said in an irritated voice "I'm busy". I turned and walked out.

There is a website that I access from my computer at home often but on my Canadian account. They no longer want to use number generators. A guy at HSBC in Vancouver made it easy for me to bypass a cell phone.

TD Bank in Canada has had online computer access for personal accounts for over twenty years. They have never used number generating fobs. TD is one of the most  secure banks that exists and they continue to improve both their offerings and their security. Been with them since I was 28.

And now for the END of the story................

1. Arrive for the "real closing" of the account.  Sign in.  Four ahead of me and ONE person on " desk-people" side.

2.  Go to Steren for  key fob batteries.   Come back.  Hurry up and wait... and wait.... and wait.  Also only one teller for 5 -6 in line.

3.  Over ONE HOUR later, finally get a turn.  During all that time, only one other desk person returned and he refused to see anyone.... "I'm busy!"

4.  Another 20 minutes to close an account that was supposedly drained last week.  Why?  Because we left $200 pesos to cover the commission on the cashier's check we gave you Friday.  But every other time I've gotten a cheque from you, they did the cost at the very same time.  Yes, but this was a CASHIER'S cheque, so we had to wait for it to clear.    HUH!????? And if you had looked on line the next day, your  $200 is now $14.30.  Sign here...and here....and here..... and take it all to (ONE) cashier.  HE will close the account and give you 14 pesos............      

5.  Long wait there too (2nd cashier sitting at his window but oblivious to the line-up) and finally get it D O N E !!!!! 

And the best news is?........I NEVER HAVE TO ENTER THAT BANK AGAIN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE   👋

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Natasha said:

And now for the END of the story................

1. Arrive for the "real closing" of the account.  Sign in.  Four ahead of me and ONE person on " desk-people" side.

2.  Go to Steren for  key fob batteries.   Come back.  Hurry up and wait... and wait.... and wait.  Also only one teller for 5 -6 in line.

3.  Over ONE HOUR later, finally get a turn.  During all that time, only one other desk person returned and he refused to see anyone.... "I'm busy!"

4.  Another 20 minutes to close an account that was supposedly drained last week.  Why?  Because we left $200 pesos to cover the commission on the cashier's check we gave you Friday.  But every other time I've gotten a cheque from you, they did the cost at the very same time.  Yes, but this was a CASHIER'S cheque, so we had to wait for it to clear.    HUH!????? And if you had looked on line the next day, your  $200 is now $14.30.  Sign here...and here....and here..... and take it all to (ONE) cashier.  HE will close the account and give you 14 pesos............      

5.  Long wait there too (2nd cashier sitting at his window but oblivious to the line-up) and finally get it D O N E !!!!! 

And the best news is?........I NEVER HAVE TO ENTER THAT BANK AGAIN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE   👋

congrats!