Chapala.com Webboard

Maybe Intercam is our answer?

Want to transfer out of HSBC, and thought Bancomer.  Phoned them today. No possibility of having joint /co-owners account. Hello??? So one of us is in need of $$$$ for medical treatment after  "event", and the other can't get at the money becasue they have to be a beneficiario in which case  SOL until the other one dies and they can produce a death certificate?  I don't THINK so!   And for the "privilege" of opening even a simple account they want minimum $8,000 MXN that day AND you cannot refuse them  putting some kind of app on your cell phone?

Guessing Intercam might be the answer, even tho' for some reason I can't remember years ago  they had a requirement we could not (would not??) fulfill.

I know many of you like them. I'd like to know what ATM withdrawal limit is per day, and fee to use same.  Also, as long as cash is in account, is there a withdrawal limit at the cashier per day? (Forgot to ask on phone this morning).  They WILL allow joint account, and it seems I have all the stuff they need (INE,  proof of address, RFC etc) to get started in a.m.     Thanks in advance

Your joint owner comment about BBVA is odd as I have had a joint checking account for many years with separate credit cards and debit cards.

The phone app requirement is correct. The phone acts as a security device for credit card purchases since the physical card does not carry a CVV. You set up a digital card and use it for all electronic purchases.

• Thanks 1

I found it very odd too, since our HSBC IS joint. We do not have nor want credit card from them. Have one HSBC debit, and that's enough. (one each from Canadian bank). But no way in hell are they putting something on my phone...... which she made clear is NOT an option. Cash is king for us in MX.......... Canadian Visa works for Amazon.

I'm guessing this "no joint " thing is new?  A Mexican friend was here today and she told me they forced that app on her..... and now they "bug" her constantly via same for added services, upgrades, etc. She hates it and always declines but says it really is a nuisance. 

By electronic purchases I mean sites like Amazon, Costco, Mercado Libre, national airlines and now for extra security I use the digital card for all autopay like CFE, Telmex, Telcel, Internet, IAVE/PASE toll tags and Sky TV. No reason to have the real CCD number in third party databases.

BBVA is constantly updating the phone app to make it easier and more secure unlike Multiva which hasn't had an update in over a year. Recently they added Face ID to the signon process.

When in Mexico I use my Mexican credit card and in the US I use my Citi card. For debit card purchases Capital One works all over the world. It just seems to work for me with minimal hassle.

And I've never had any promotions pop up from the app. By phone sure, but it's pretty equal between the bank, Telmex, Telcel and my expired extended vehicle warranty.

Yes, I also have the BBVA apps and I do not get any adds. Its very secure for online purchase as it gives you a CCV number which is only valid for 5 minutes (it also gives you a different debit card number). You may want to talk to someone within the BBVA bank in Ajijic. I use the one in Chapala and they are not always the most helpful.

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Want to transfer out of HSBC, and thought Bancomer.  Phoned them today. No possibility of having joint /co-owners account. Hello??? So one of us is in need of $$$$ for medical treatment after  "event", and the other can't get at the money becasue they have to be a beneficiario in which case  SOL until the other one dies and they can produce a death certificate?  I don't THINK so!   And for the "privilege" of opening even a simple account they want minimum $8,000 MXN that day AND you cannot refuse them  putting some kind of app on your cell phone?

Guessing Intercam might be the answer, even tho' for some reason I can't remember years ago  they had a requirement we could not (would not??) fulfill.

I know many of you like them. I'd like to know what ATM withdrawal limit is per day, and fee to use same.  Also, as long as cash is in account, is there a withdrawal limit at the cashier per day? (Forgot to ask on phone this morning).  They WILL allow joint account, and it seems I have all the stuff they need (INE,  proof of address, RFC etc) to get started in a.m.     Thanks in advance

I have been thinking about Intercam also for a Mexican "bank" to use as they have outlets in small towns on the west coast. And Bancomer has some useful and good security functions even though I had some a problem with their ATMs once.  

I closed my account at the local HSBC as the manager was hopeless at dealing with head office in Mexico City. HSBC in Canada were the opposite. When looking for a Mexican bank Bancomer has some interesting security features even if one of their ATMs gave me a round around once. Intercam even though it is not a real bank has outlets in many small west coast towns which could be handy.

Intercam Banco Internacional, Inc. is an International Financial Entity organized in accordance with the provisions of Act No. 273 of Puerto Rico of September 25, 2012. It is a reltively new group. when I was in Barra de Navidad several years go it was closed when it should have been open. No one could say why they were closed.

43 minutes ago, cedros said:

I closed my account at the local HSBC as the manager was hopeless at dealing with head office in Mexico City. HSBC in Canada were the opposite. When looking for a Mexican bank Bancomer has some interesting security features even if one of their ATMs gave me a round around once. Intercam even though it is not a real bank has outlets in many small west coast towns which could be handy.

The name Bancomer is no longer in use  BBVA is the name 

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

True. Old habits are hard to break. 

3 hours ago, John Shrall said:

By electronic purchases I mean sites like Amazon, Costco, Mercado Libre, national airlines

Yes, I don't do any of that. Therefore I don't need the app.

And facial recognition is exactly why I won't use their app, I find it an invasion of privacy.

As I said earlier.... CASH is king for everything we pay for here except Amazon / Amazon MX.....  and then CDN credit card is used.

The "2 persons" thing might be new? When I bought 2015 Nissan asked for and got registration (Y/0) in both names .  When hubbie bought a used one from Rafa in Riberas Dec 2019,  plates needed to be changed from Quintana Roo to Jalisco.  Jan 2020..... NOPE.. we can't do the "Y/O". Luckily guy taking it to be done called in a favor (and an extra $300 pesos ) and we got Y/O on that one as well.

And Totalplay last August said nope... only one name, and we don't care if it's your only proof of address.

Off to Intercam in a.m.  Happy for any more input between now and then. Thanks to all.

3 hours ago, Natasha said:

I would go to Intercam and speak with Marta, she is knowledgeable and helpful. I am sure she can answer all your questions. I need to pay my rent at Bancomer and it can be a PIA as it is right by the plaza. I won't deal with HSBC and just closed out my account with Multiva. It can be a problem alright.

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

The Bancomer name is widely used but it isn't the official name.

Joint accounts co owner in Mexico is not the same thing as in the States. John can both of you close the account?  

My name comes first at Bancomer because I am the titular and I can do what I please with the account but my husband who is also listed on the account has a separate card with a separate number, can deposit, transfer and withdraw but he is not owner of the account and cannot close it for exemple. If I die and the bank knows it , it will be closed but if he dies nothing happens.  .. John Shrall are you sure you are truly co owner? I did not think this existed in Mexico.

Do both of you have the app?

4 hours ago, cedros said:

Stop posting your BS! Intercam is a REALLY REAL BANK and I  have been BANKING with them for several years and am extremely happy with them. 

pedro kertesz

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Stop posting your BS! Intercam is a REALLY REAL BANK and I  have been BANKING with them for several years and am extremely happy with them. 

pedro kertesz

Inttercam  is a relatively new entity that is closed sometimes for no obvious reason

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, cedros said:

Inttercam  is a relatively new entity that is closed sometimes for no obvious reason

Stop lying-what's your purpose! As a customer of many years I know the only time they have shut very briefly[an hr. or 2] is when the puters are down. They have branches all over  Mexico and many many ATM's.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

I don't  believe  intercam  is truly  a bank. I was just in intercam  offices last week and they do not issue  credit cards   just a heads up !

bulshit-Master card cc.  and Visa debit card. and they are a @$^#% bank.Your head is up in a dark place. go dance with the other liar cedros

laurel and hardy dancing gif.gif

I totally  disagree  with  you but that's nothing new, intercam  is  not a real bank it is a financial  institution and financial institutions  may issue debit  cards  and they can thru a real  bank possibly get you a  credit  card but it will be the banks card not intercam. I just spent 3 hrs dealing  with intercam last week  and THEY DO NOT  issue credit  cards period. 

(edited by mod, you should have stopped with period.  Next time do so.)

EXCELLENT experience at newer Intercam office today. Yes to debit cards. Don't care about credit....... would never use here. Yes to co-owners (titulares)......... and they don't even need to have named  beneficiario appear... just need data for same. No deposit required to open account. YES they are covered by IPAB (mx euivalent of federally insured deposits).... up to $400,000 pesos per person in qualifying accounts.

So some may believe they are not a bank (????) but their services will be perfectly good for us. Thanks to Ferret's p.m. this a.m. too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps people still think of it as only an exchange house, and while it has moved up in services etc it is still a tiddler in the Mexican Banking System, but if you are happy with the services it has to offer, then that's is all that matters. I just wish the parking arrangement was  better, trying to enter the caraterrta from both branches is a challenge (for me)

The Top Banks in Mexico Include:

BBVA Bancomer. Established in 1932, BBVA Bancomer is the largest of the banks in Mexico. ...

Santander Mexico. ...

Banamex. ...

Banorte. ...

HSBC Mexico. ...

Scotiabank Mexico. ...

Grupo Financiero Inbursa.