Chapala.com Webboard

HSBC bank

A while ago, I read something here about the HSBC branch in San Antonio being closed.

Was this a temporary thing and are they back open ?  My Chapala landlords ( who live in the US ) would like me to pay the rent there.

Thanks😊

Rony

15 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Open Mon-Fri.

Thanks Natasha

On 5/27/2022 at 1:20 PM, Rony said:

A while ago, I read something here about the HSBC branch in San Antonio being closed.

Was this a temporary thing and are they back open ?  My Chapala landlords ( who live in the US ) would like me to pay the rent there.

Thanks😊

Rony

They are open 5 days a week except the room with the ATMs is always open.  I got 14,000 there yesterday from one of their ATMS. For a few days months ago there was a problem with Covid. And someone driving by falsely reported that they were closed as they were restricting the number of people into where the tellers are so they had that inner door closed and you had to wait for an employee to open it.

44 minutes ago, cedros said:

They are open 5 or 6 days a week (Saturday?).  I got 14,000 there yesterday from one of their ATMS. For a few days months ago there was a problem with Covid. And someone driving by falsely reported that they were closed as they were restricing the number of people into where the tellers are so they had that inner door closed and you had to wait for an employee to open it.

ATM accessible always         Bank itself (tellers etc) Mon-Fri

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gringohombre said:

How is the conversion rate at the ATM if you click NO on the "Do You Accept This conversion Rate"? And what is thier top amount in pesos to extract? Gracias  

The conversions rate is not the greatest but no withdrawal fee for me.The top amount I can withdraw is 16,000

The conversion rate at an ATM is NOT set by the hosting bank. Maybe you were fooled by the initial question that all ATMs are asking now "Do you accept our rate".....  say no and then get the VISA rate. 

I'm sure that ATMs everywhere have a maximum withdrawal amount but 'mostly' it is set by your bank or credit union. But if you can get more than 16000 from other ATMs then it is probably an HSCB max. 

On 5/27/2022 at 9:28 PM, RickS said:

The conversion rate at an ATM is NOT set by the hosting bank. Maybe you were fooled by the initial question that all ATMs are asking now "Do you accept our rate".....  say no and then get the VISA rate. 

I'm sure that ATMs everywhere have a maximum withdrawal amount but 'mostly' it is set by your bank or credit union. But if you can get more than 16000 from other ATMs then it is probably an HSCB max. 

My maximum is set by HSBC in Canada as far as I know.

39 minutes ago, cedros said:

My maximum is set by HSBC in Canada far as I know.

How do the XE and visa rates compare for conversion?

10 hours ago, RickS said:

RickS, I bank at BBVA here in Mexico and at USAA in the U.S.

I usually make withdrawals at HSBC, then deposit into my BBVA account. The main reason being that it has always seemed to me that I get more pesos per dollar at HSBC than BBVA. 

If I understand you correctly, no matter where I withdraw, it's USAA that sets the rate. Do they set the same rate for withdrawals at every bank in a given moment in time, or does it vary? 

The exchange rate for debit cards with the Visa or Mastercard logo is set daily by those companies. Not the issuing bank not the ATM. Some bank atms offer the option of using that bank's exchange rate which here is not as good as the Visa/MC rate.  You can check the Visa or MC rate on their respective websites

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2022 at 6:38 AM, chapalence said:

RickS, I bank at BBVA here in Mexico and at USAA in the U.S.

I usually make withdrawals at HSBC, then deposit into my BBVA account. The main reason being that it has always seemed to me that I get more pesos per dollar at HSBC than BBVA. 

There are (up to) 3 things that come into play when one gets pesos from an ATM Lakeside. The first is a fee for the 'use of the ATM'. One must agree to that fee or not use the ATM. These fees at different banks are almost always different. 

The next determining thing is the 'exchange rate' that is set by either VISA or Mastercard (mostly).  This will be the same at HSBC and BBVA.... all things considered.

The last thing that is sometimes assessed is a 'foreign transaction fee' that your (foreign) financial institution might levee against the transaction. Banks love fees, no?  If you are getting these you probably need to change financial institutions for sending money to Mexico.

Sooooo, depending on the above, one can and will get slightly different amounts of pesos per dollar expended in any given transaction(s) on any given day at any given 'bank'.

• Thanks 2

On 5/28/2022 at 8:58 AM, Mostlylost said:

The exchange rate for debit cards with the Visa or Mastercard logo is set daily by those companies. Not the issuing bank not the ATM. Some bank atms offer the option of using that bank's exchange rate which here is not as good as the Visa/MC rate.  You can check the Visa or MC rate on their respective websites

You know, it is really sad that after you have explained this so many times, so many still do not understand it and continue to accept the bank rate of exchange ("the conversion rate is not the greatest").They also seem not to understand that Visa and MC set the exchange rates and when it changes. Really sad.

On 5/29/2022 at 11:59 AM, Natasha said:

Just remember one thing..... if ATM LAST question is " do you accept our conversion rate for this transaction ?" press NO

If you press NO then what happens?  Do they just not continue with the transaction and not give you money? Or do you they give you a different conversion rate?