Chapala.com Webboard

So much for my roadtrip idea. Helpful hint.

After reading the recent stopping of many cars and bad-guys going from car to car taking cell phones/ wallets, etc, plus two dead "resistors" I', repeating a suggestion I made a few years ago.

Carry a "bait" wallet/purse. Get an old wallet/purse and put in a few $20.00 notes and if you have, old/expired cards, etc.

When the bad=guys come to your car, just hand them the bait. They are not going to go through the booty then-and-there.

You can modify above as needed.Men can do this generally with the real wallet in a front pocket.

Women, who are targeted most, can use a bait purse and have their must-carry in a fanny pack.

Remember that anything stolen can be replaces. Don't resist, your life can't be replaced.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

?? What is that about. I travel 1400 km on a regular basis on a car and I have never been stopped and have been doing it for 25 years.. Sure bad things can happen but a little common sense goes a long way..

If people are to live always being scared of one thing or another maybe they should not live in Mexico.. The US are so much safer.. Ha ha..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is true that the roads are getting less safe but I continue travelling like I have always done.. no travelling after dark and have yet to encounter trouble on the main roads. Of course if one goes on a road like the one between San Cristobal and Palenque , everything is possible although I have never had problemas in that area during the day.

It can happen and there highway robbers there is no denying it but at the same time not enough to stop all travel.. It would b a real shame to live in this country and not being able to travel. You can take a few precautions that can help and forget about it, Happens what happens or live locked up in you house.. I chose to live and enjoy life and if I get robbed be it.  , II am not going to stop doing things I enjoy at 76 because I may die or get robbed.. I will die for sure anyways. so I am going to enjoy myself as much as I can until I cannot.. period.

• Like 3

I have traveled the back roads of Mexico , a lot and you can hide all you want if they get your car everything goes with it so so much for any idea. Some years ago a bus full of French tourists was attacked near Agua Azul and the thieves left tall the people on the side of the road naked and left with all the posessions much anyone can do.. Also when the thieves find out you are hiding things  they will beat you po,, that happened a couple of years ago on a bus a friend of mine had taken between San Cristóbal and Villahermosa.. If you are going to be assaulted consider yourself lucky that you are alive, the rest is just stuff... Friends and I have been stopped at gun point near San Cristobal as well and I can tell you that in these situation you are not thinking about your cell phone or valuable.

8 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I feel VERY safe Lakeside and I have lived in some areas of Los Angeles that I would not want to be near now!!!

If you reread  this, I think you will find it is about travel, not about living in a certain place.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

If you reread  this, I think you will find it is about travel, not about living in a certain place.

OK, I will revise my comment to TRAVELLING in México. If you keep to the toll roads and out of the cartel areas I would feel safer here than is some parts of LA, Chicago or many other urban areas in the US where car jackings have increased prolifically in the past few years!!!  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, gringohombre said:

OK, I will revise my comment to TRAVELLING in México. If you keep to the toll roads and out of the cartel areas I would feel safer here than is some parts of LA, Chicago or many other urban areas in the US where car jackings have increased prolifically in the past few years!!!  

That shows you just do not travel much.. How do you stay out of cartel areas when you travel and really do not know where cartels are. When we got stopped  by  cartel guys, actually the head of one of them we were in 2 cars travelling back to town from buying toys in one of the communities near San Cristobal. I missed the short cut to town but figured that San Cristobal was down hill in the valley so went down the mountain road.. and that when we got stopped..Turns out ,there was some kind of conflict between cartels in that area which I did not know about because I had never heard of the area.You do not always have autopistas mot do you know everything about areas you go through. 

If you talk to people who haul stuff all over the country , you will hear that the roads are getting mor dangerous, this is not a secret.

Chicago is not in Mexico as far as I remember so what has it got to do with Mexico. We are not all from the US so what happens up there is a result of their culture, nothing to do with Mexico. Violence and nastiness seem to go on worldwide and the US seem to be leading on the mental cases going nuts with guns that are so easy to get . But as long as the people in the US chose to ignore that guns help kill more people and faster and do not do anything to stop it. that will happen and I hate to say it but sparer us with the tears and the prayers.. that does not change anything.. All these mass killing in schools are the scarlet letter of the Americans..

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, bmh said:

Chicago is not in Mexico as far as I remember so what has it got to do with Mexico. We are not all from the US so what happens up there is a result of their culture, nothing to do with Mexico. Violence and nastiness seem to go on worldwide and the US seem to be leading on the mental cases going nuts with guns that are so easy to get . But as long as the people in the US chose to ignore that guns help kill more people and faster and do not do anything to stop it. that will happen and I hate to say it but sparer us with the tears and the prayers.. that does not change anything.. All these mass killing in schools are the scarlet letter of the Americans..

Lol Chicago had the most strict gun laws in the country and every weekend they have more shootings than any of these mass shootings.  But no one wants to talk about it because they don't want to t off a certain population.

And it matters because to many people try to talk like mexico us more dangerous than the USA. Well it's not and I don't know why so many people need to try and say that.

• Sad 2

You are the one comparing the two countries..: Mexico can be a dangerous place if you are in the right place at the right time and so is Chicago. I spent some time in CHicago and it looked ok to me... but I guess it was just luck.. I wonder how millions of people live their and do not run away...  It is like just about anyplace if you chose to look at the crime ridden areas you will find crime but I wonder how you explain a little town having that kind of horrendous murders.. and this kind of stuff happening over and over in small towns that are not crime ridden areas.. 

Chicago has strict laws and the neighbors do not so what does that prove?

If you do not go anywhere in Mexico it is a super safe place  but there are plenty of places in Mexico that are not safe and all you have to do is look at the statistics.

7 minutes ago, bmh said:

You are the one comparing the two countries..: Mexico can be a dangerous place if you are in the right place at the right time and so is Chicago. I spent some time in CHicago and it looked ok to me... but I guess it was just luck.. I wonder how millions of people live their and do not run away...  It is like just about anyplace if you chose to look at the crime ridden areas you will find crime but I wonder how you explain a little town having that kind of horrendous murders.. and this kind of stuff happening over and over in small towns that are not crime ridden areas.. 

Chicago has strict laws and the neighbors do not so what does that prove?

If you do not go anywhere in Mexico it is a super safe place  but there are plenty of places in Mexico that are not safe and all you have to do is look at the statistics.

I live here I like did in the usa. I go where it's safe. 

Until nroute..ow I always felt sage on the arco norte but lately the traffic has gotten awful with trailers and I have been caught for long times at a crack.. in jams where all the traffic is stoped because of overturned trailers..in these conditions it would be very easy for thieves to attack the trucks and cars... so another thing to watch out for.. AT least they cannot get the car because the traffic can be stopped for an hour or 2...One plus, the hiding places are safe on this