Chapala.com Webboard

Best to obtain 2nd opinion- Urologist

Having prostate "problems" a close friend shared with me his recent experience with  examinations' and recommendations' from Urologist Dr Fabian Gargcia at QC and a US, Dr Mark Christ in Miami. My friend who frequently travels between MX and the US wanted to obtain a second option for this "delicate" situation. His Blood work indicated a high PSA of 39

My friend had previously seen Dr Fabian about 6 weeks ago and was prescribed a course of medicines, which did not improve my friends problem of frequently wanting to pee and alway having drible left in his bladder. Latter whilst visiting the US  he was able to obtain a Ultrasound of his bladder. This test  help's your doctor see how much urine you have left in your bladder after you urinate.

Last week my friend revisited Dr Fabian informing him the course of meds had not improved his problem and shared with him the results obtained from the Echogram, a volume of 50ml, which is considered to be adequate/good, bladder emptying. Regardless of these results Dr Fabian next recommendation was to do a APE which includes scoping your urethra and also taking a biopsy of the prostate, and was enthusiastic to set up an appointment. My friend not so eager indicated he would think about.

This week, fortuitously, my friend was able to see a Dr Christ in Miami, who listened to my friends experience and saw the EGM report and the previous meds prescribed by Dr Fabian. As was expected Dr Christ gave my friend a digital rectal exam, confirmed some abnormalities and possible a presence of cancer.

Dr Christ recommendation. Not to do any biopsy or intervention , which would required my friend stop one of the meds he is taking for heart related issues. He prescribed the following meds;  Flomax (Tamsulosion) and Avodart (Dutasteride) "come back to see me in November" ....."Because many prostate cancers grow so slowly an older man you have little concern that you may die from it"......"and take care as you cross the road you could get run over by a bus"!! 

Oh and my friends age ....... 91 years old, (young)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the TURP procedure many years ago due to enlarged prostrate plus recurring urinary track infections. I had many of the symptoms as the OP describes. I also was prescribed one of the meds mentioned, but doing research decided to go "natural" and have been using Saw Palmetto Extract with excellent results. Flowing good ever since!!! 

• Thanks 2

On 5/24/2022 at 11:10 PM, lakeside7 said:

Having prostate "problems" a close friend shared with me his recent experience with  examinations' and recommendations' from Urologist Dr Fabian Gargcia at QC and a US, Dr Mark Christ in Miami. My friend who frequently travels between MX and the US wanted to obtain a second option for this "delicate" situation. His Blood work indicated a high PSA of 39

My friend had previously seen Dr Fabian about 6 weeks ago and was prescribed a course of medicines, which did not improve my friends problem of frequently wanting to pee and alway having drible left in his bladder. Latter whilst visiting the US  he was able to obtain a Ultrasound of his bladder. This test  help's your doctor see how much urine you have left in your bladder after you urinate.

Last week my friend revisited Dr Fabian informing him the course of meds had not improved his problem and shared with him the results obtained from the Echogram, a volume of 50ml, which is considered to be adequate/good, bladder emptying. Regardless of these results Dr Fabian next recommendation was to do a APE which includes scoping your urethra and also taking a biopsy of the prostate, and was enthusiastic to set up an appointment. My friend not so eager indicated he would think about.

This week, fortuitously, my friend was able to see a Dr Christ in Miami, who listened to my friends experience and saw the EGM report and the previous meds prescribed by Dr Fabian. As was expected Dr Christ gave my friend a digital rectal exam, confirmed some abnormalities and possible a presence of cancer.

Dr Christ recommendation. Not to do any biopsy or intervention , which would required my friend stop one of the meds he is taking for heart related issues. He prescribed the following meds;  Flomax (Tamsulosion) and Avodart (Dutasteride) "come back to see me in November" ....."Because many prostate cancers grow so slowly an older man you have little concern that you may die from it"......"and take care as you cross the road you could get run over by a bus"!! 

On 5/24/2022 at 11:10 PM, lakeside7 said:

My prostrate experience.

I was having prostrate problems.

I saw Dr. Fabian at Quality care as he had been recommended by neighbours but I was not impressed by him. I decided to return to Canada where it would all be free. In Canada after a bit I found a GP who was taking new patients and then he found a Urologist. She impressed me as she had done over 200 Turp operations (the standard operation for prostrate relief including one on the friend I was staying with in BC). Finally a date was set for the opration-months away so I returned to Mexico. When I returned to BC for the operation was the day Covid started to flare up so all elective surgery was cancelled so I returned to Mexico. Someone recommended Dr Daniel Hernandez at Lakeside clinic in Riberas. After having some ultrasound tests done in Chapala he said I was due for a Turp operation. (he had done over 800-including his father's) He suggested a small clinic in Guadalajara that was very professionally run and had a small flow of customers (a Covid concern) A neighbour drove me to the clinic from SJC and then came back and picked me up the next day. My room there was private with it's own bathoom, a TV, AC, food service and a window. Friends insisted that I stay at their casita in the Raquet Club for recovery (the husband had had a Turp operation and was familiar with catherers and the lady of the house had been a nurse) for a number of days. After 5 days Dr. Hernandez drove out from Gudalajara to remove the catheter (it only took a few minutes). Great service and help and a lower price than Dr. Fabian at Quality Care.

4 years later my plumbing is still working perfectly

3 hours ago, cedros said:

My prostrate experience.

I saw Dr. Fabian at Quality care as he had been recommended by neighbours but I was not impressed by him. I decided to return to Canada where it would all be free. In Canada after a bit I found a GP who was taking new patients and then he found a Urologist. She impressed me as she had done over 200 Turp operations (the standard operation for prostrate relief including one on the friend I was staying with in BC). Finally a date was set for the opration-months away so I returned to Mexico. When I returned to BC for the operation was the day Covid started to flare up so all elective surgery was cancelled so I returned to Mexico. Someone recommended Dr Daniel Hernandez at Lakeside clinic in Riberas. After having some ultrasound tests done in Chapala he said I was due for a Turp operation. (he had done over 800-including his father's) He suggested a small clinic in Guadalajara that was very professionally run and had a small flow of customers (a Covid concern) A neighbour drove me to the clinic from SJC and then came back and picked me up the next day. My room there was private with it's own bathoom, a TV, AC, food service and a window. Friends insisted that I stay at their casita in the Raquet Club for recovery (the husband had had a Turp operation and was familiar with catherers and the lady of the house had been a nurse) for a number of days. After 5 days Dr. Hernandez drove out from Gudalajara to remove the catheter (it only took a few minutes). Great service and help and a lower price than Dr. Fabian at Quality Care.

Thanks for sharing your experience

4 hours ago, cedros said:

My prostrate experience.

Great service and help and a lower price than Dr. Fabian at Quality Care.

Could you give the price you paid for the surgery and recovery?… Thanks