Chapala.com Webboard

Lakeside Uber

have used Uber in the U.S. many times with the app. I don't recall using it here. I have read over the years either there are no Ubers in Chapala/Ajijic, or very few.

I am going to need one for a few rides. My neighbor has said she uses a taxi, but I just found out she actually meant a Uber. She has his phone and calls direct. Anyway------

I did some checking and did a search for a couple of places I will need to go. I was puzzled by what I found.

The prices were of course in Pesos, but except for one, the price was $.00. Only ondevehicle category was more, and that was a slightly longer ride at $21.oo.

Anyone know what's happening or what I'm missing?

There is no legitimate UBER service in this area. The locals use the term UBER to mean any driver operating as an "executive driver" or, a taxi without a license. I avoid them.

If you do a search on this forum you will find numerous recommendations for drivers. Don't expect a cheap ride- gas is high, maintenance is high, and drivers must often wait while you complete your activity- however it does pay to shop around. Those recommended by some on this board are significantly higher than others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, chapalence said:

There is no legitimate UBER service in this area.

In fact, I took an Uber car from San Antonio to Ajijic on the afternoon of April 20th, using the same Uber phone app I've used in the States. It cost $50 MXN.

There aren't many cars, so you can't rely on it -- and I'm sure they'd rather take you to Guadalajara or GDL -- but there's no telling how those guys will try to fill idle time.

image.thumb.png.b87071976a609146b784f3334ae00c6c.png

As far as the price being $0, no se. Try adding some pesos to your Uber account, if you haven't already.

At this point, having a driver you like remains a better option.

LQ

19 hours ago, Lou Quillio said:

In fact, I took an Uber car from San Antonio to Ajijic on the afternoon of April 20th, using the same Uber phone app I've used in the States. It cost $50 MXN.

There aren't many cars, so you can't rely on it -- and I'm sure they'd rather take you to Guadalajara or GDL -- but there's no telling how those guys will try to fill idle time.

image.thumb.png.b87071976a609146b784f3334ae00c6c.png

As far as the price being $0, no se. Try adding some pesos to your Uber account, if you haven't already.

At this point, having a driver you like remains a better option.

LQ

What happened is there was probably a GDL driver here to drop off a customer and you asked at just the right time before they returned to GDL>    It might happen on a weekend more often.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

probably a GDL driver here to drop off a customer

That's the pattern in small markets. Many (most?) of those guys also drive for their own account. Accepting a local Uber booking or two might be a nice way to round out the day, especially if you live around here. I've also heard there's more Uber availability in Chapala centro, since it's a local transit hub.

LQ

On 5/25/2022 at 7:11 PM, Lou Quillio said:

That's the pattern in small markets. Many (most?) of those guys also drive for their own account. Accepting a local Uber booking or two might be a nice way to round out the day, especially if you live around here. I've also heard there's more Uber availability in Chapala centro, since it's a local transit hub.

LQ

Sorry Chapala centro is the same as all lakeside. No real Uber vehicles work from here.  Only when one is here from GDL or the airport will you see availability, and that is mostly on weekends.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Sorry Chapala centro is the same as all lakeside. No real Uber vehicles work from here.

Don't be sorry.

Let's be clear, because these boards are indexed by Google Search.

If you enter your destination in the Uber app at Lakeside and see a car offering to take you there, you can summon it. I've done it, same as in the States. I did it by mistake once in 2019 (pocket dial) near the Ajijic plaza. Phone started chirping that "my ride" was almost there. What the?

Don't rely on there being a car available, same as in the States. You're anecdotally more likely to find one near Chapala centro, for reasons we can guess at but cannot know.

If Uber makes one nervous, you have the same verification tools as anywhere: make, model, color, plate number, driver's name. Make sure they match, and that the driver knows your name (from the app).

Might a criminal mastermind spoof all of these details, as well as hack the Uber backend and the app on your phone? Criminal masterminds have better things to do.

Just don't expect many cars. Traditional taxis have far better coverage and are expat-affordable. In much of these States, taxi companies are a consumer (and employee) abomination, and set themselves up for disintermediation. Good riddance.

Off-topic: many folks don't know that driving a taxi in the States is a sharecropping proposition. You rent the car from the company as-is, you maintain it at your expense, you fuel it, and you give them most of your revenue. Your cut is whatever's left, if anything.

LQ

I have used Uber in many countries for many years.  Yes you just check the app. There are none working from lakeside. 

Just looked There is one 14 minutes away., and the app shows he is on the return by Ixtlahuacan  right now. As I said  a weekend Uber from GDL> That is the only Uber showing between Chapala and Jocotepec. If you requested a ride from Ajijic to Chapala he probably would not accept it.

I have never waited more than 15 minutes in any major city for an Uber. London, Paris, SF, even New Orleans, to name a few,  5-10 minutes max from 6 in the am till about 1AM

Also you are generalizing about taxi companies  Some do own the vehicles and pay the drivers. Just depends on where in the world you are talking about. 

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Also you are generalizing about taxi companies  Some do own the vehicles and pay the drivers. Just depends on where in the world you are talking about. 

What's unclear about "in the States?"

Of course Uber availability Lakeside isn't anything like N.Y. or S.F. Show me somebody who expects otherwise and I'll show you a moron.

LQ

For 2 years when we were in Ajijic, I jumped through all the hoops to be a driver with Uber. The only ride I accepted was all over Ajijic's cobblestones for the whopping fare of $60p, a little over $2us(17 exchange rate). Wasn't worth beating up my new car. A fare to the airport was about $250p. I suspect that is why after 4 years when I was doing it, there are still no Uber drivers lakeside. The driver had to have a car less than 3 years old. Proof of insurance, etc etc. The compensation isn't worth it. 

When you look at the poor driving conditions, very high price of fuel, wear and tear on vehicle, down time for the driver, local cab fares may look high but I seriously doubt anyone is getting rich driving a cab locally.  We are lucky to have cabs at all IMO.

Even at these fares, you would have to take a heckuva lot of cab rides to approach the coast of owning, maintaining, fueling and insuring a personal car.

True enough. But there are other 'perks' to owning. Not altogether unlike owning vs renting a casa.   What works for one may not work for another. BUT from a financial standpoint, cabs and renting probably can't be topped. Having said that.... count me in the ownership column.

• Like 1

I have had drivers give me card at Walmart and Ajijic plaza saying they are Uber drivers but I did not believe them since Uber drivers are not supposed to solicit passengers.  A few years back there was a fight at Walmart between men who said they were Uber drivers and local taxi men.  The local taxi drivers told the people these were not Uber drivers or they would not be soliciting passengers, they should take care.  I have used Uber 3 times.  Once driver was at airport and came to take me from Ajijic to Riberas.   At Riberas I decided to go on to Chapala.  Driver could not take me until I called Uber again and she  got the assignment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickS said:

count me in the ownership column

Me too, but hybrid on the car side. It's simply not worth driving your own car to and from GDL or Estación Central in Tlaquepaque. Taxi for that.

LQ