Chapala.com Webboard

Interesting Mirador Vertical Posts: Source?

I have this sun shade, 3m x 5m. It came from Amazon MX. What interests me are the posts:

1256553374_71PJycwtmL.thumb.jpg.6a243deef78352a02d85bb79ba00bb39.jpg

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B08GCWHQGZ/

This photo came from an Amazon MX customer, and could have been taken in almost any Mexican city, but there's no lat/long in the photo's EXIF data, so dunno where.

$ exiftool 71P+JycwtmL.jpg -gpslatitude -gpslongitude

Having invested in a hammer drill the other day, I've got a list of projects to do, and hanging the sun shade is one. Posts like those shown here would dress-up my install nicely.

I'm sure such things can be fabricated, but my preference is for the manufactured product, if I can find it. I live, these days, in a sea of cob jobs, and don't want to add another.

A source for something like this might also have stainless hangers, sized for 6" walls, that would let me attractively run a string of outdoor LED bulbs -- yet another project.

Any ideas? Thanks.

LQ

Check at the big Aceros place in Riberas (or any other).    Looks a bit like schedule 40 galvanized tubular fence end posts 2 & 3/8 inch, and / or those commonly used for stop signs etc.     Might be a bit smaller than that.   Bring them the photo and see what they have.    

• Like 4

If you want to DIY then these might work...

1) LIUHE - Universal stainless steel bracket for PTZ CCTV security camera with 2 loops (set of 1) : Amazon.com.mx: Electronics

2) XGOGOP Universal Vertical Pole Mount Adapter with 2 Loops, Wall Mount Bracket for PTZ Dome CCTV Security Camera (1 Pack) : Amazon.com.mx: Electronics

I think I'd also add an L bracket for a support under the pole to stop it from sliding down ... 10 L-shaped stainless steel brackets, 3.3 x 1.9 inches, high-strength wide corner brackets, 90-degree angle brackets, corner brackets for wooden furniture, bookshelf, board, window cabinet: Amazon.com.mx: Tools and Home Improvement

You can get galvanized pipe cut to length at Casa de Plomero.

Or you could contact one of the local places that install awnings and tell them you just need the infrastructure installed because you have the shade sail... like Carmen and Octavio Robles Martin at 376-766-0045 or cell number 333-956-4852

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lou Quillio said:

"I'll be back..." - LQ

Please do report back - I'm trying to find an engineer to help design a new house featuring among other gizmos a small exterior wall mounted passenger elevator to a rooftop garden, and any frame of reference provided by an actual thoughtful design and installation would be very interesting.

2 hours ago, utilitus said:

a small exterior wall mounted passenger elevator to a rooftop garden

More ambitious than my dumbwaiter idea, but I dig it. In fact, it's one of my house-hunting filters for anything with stairs: Is there a suitable location for an outdoor elevator?. It could keep us in the house quite a bit longer, depending.

I asked a young architect about elevators four years ago, He was ready for the question. Evidently, there was at least one Guadalajara company hoping to market them lakeside, since obviously they'd want residential customers who both need one and can afford one. Dunno what happened to that guy (Daniel Segura).

Not sure I'd wing it, though. These things require scheduled maintenance. My plan, such as there is one, is to dangle my business in front of elevator companies, let them educate me, and go from there. I can listen to a little bullshit if it makes me smarter. ;)

LQ

At one point in time, this company sold the single individual elevators but I can't find them now on their website. Maybe they still can or at least provide the information on a company that does. However, they still provide individual chair glides for stairs so people can remain in their home.  https://www.movilidadsinlimites.com/index.php  Happyjillin has one. Basket on a rope with a pulley system will work for getting your stuff to the mirador. ;)

Hopefully, such vendors aren't expecting any "dangling"...

I've seen one or two 'store-bought' domestic elevators Lakeside - looked like miniature versions of the cars in the Embarcadero Hyatt in SF.  I always waste volumes of time researching ideas and options to death, including in this case browsing the vast industrial production of the PRC via Alibaba (and "I get ALL my knock-off Moncler items from AliExpress!").  Youtube captures a number of 'hlilbilly Hilton' elevator projects.

4 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Basket on a rope with a pulley system will work for getting your stuff to the mirador. ;)

Now THERE'S a conservative approach to the problem. Quite 'Mexican' I might add also.

• Haha 1

There is NO time wasted when researching ideas and options. It's a valuable comodity. I can assure you that those individual elevators can trap you. I have a friend in Canada with a three story house and the master bedroom is on the third floor. His wife stocked the elevator with bottles of water and snacks... along with a bucket and TP just in case. If the electricity goes out and you don't have back up power, you're stuck. I have a single story house but, if I didn't, I would choose the open chair glider because it operates with a back up battery.

12 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Basket on a rope with a pulley system will work for getting your stuff to the mirador.

Well, yes, that's the general idea, pero los detalles son importante. You need an arm or gantry to hold the basket away from the wall, and a way to swing it into reach on the topside. If it's strong enough and thought-through, it can carry dishes and glasses, which opens up possibilities. And as a renter, it would be a prototype for some future setup that might be more permanent. Learn, learn, learn.

Over-engineering remains a sin, naturally, but there's something to be said for good design and doing a job well.

Hey, I don't even know how to be retired yet. Last night I thought, "Damn it, tomorrow's Monday," like that means anything besides Mario's is closed. This. Is. So. Weird.

LQ

• Haha 1