Chapala.com Webboard

RFC # Applicability?

LostKitty

Regarding the use of the word "must" in reports of the need to acquire an RFC #... 

...does anyone happen to know how this new tax law (which apparently requires folks to acquire an RFC #) and, specifically, the July 1 registration deadline, applies to a Residente Permanente who a) doesn't currently own or rent a home or land in Mexico (so can't produce any utility bills or a rental lease in their name), b) doesn't own a car, c) doesn't work or otherwise receive income in Mexico and d) doesn't have any Mexican bank accounts?

Said another way, what happens if the July 1st deadline passes and a residente permanente who falls under the above set of categories hasn't sought out an RFC? IOW if someone doesn't currently have a need to acquire an RFC (because they don't own or rent, don't have Mexican bank account(s), don't work in Mexico and don't own a car) or otherwise can't produce a required document (like a lease or utility bill) can they essentially put-off/delay the process of acquiring an RFC until such time as they do have the need and/or can produce a required document?

Just tying to ascertain if some sort of penalty will be imposed and/or if not having an RFC by the July 1 deadline will in any way jeopardize someone's residency status, particularly their permanent residency status.

I envision car-free, full- or part-time permanent resident housesitters and anyone else who, say, lives with someone else who is themselves the listed party on a home or lease and on all utility accounts, car ownership documents, bank accounts, etc., as being particularly interested in the answer to the questions I've posed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LostKitty said:

Regarding the use of the word "must" in reports of the need to acquire an RFC #... 

...does anyone happen to know how this new tax law (which apparently requires folks to acquire an RFC #) and, specifically, the July 1 registration deadline, applies to a Residente Permanente who a) doesn't currently own or rent a home or land in Mexico (so can't produce any utility bills or a rental lease in their name), b) doesn't own a car, c) doesn't work or otherwise receive income in Mexico and d) doesn't have any Mexican bank accounts?

Said another way, what happens if the July 1st deadline passes and a residente permanente who falls under the above set of categories hasn't sought out an RFC? IOW if someone doesn't currently have a need to acquire an RFC (because they don't own or rent, don't have Mexican bank account(s), don't work in Mexico and don't own a car) or otherwise can't produce a required document (like a lease or utility bill) can they essentially put-off/delay the process of acquiring an RFC until such time as they do have the need and/or can produce a required document?

Just tying to ascertain if some sort of penalty will be imposed and/or if not having an RFC by the July 1 deadline will in any way jeopardize someone's residency status, particularly their permanent residency status.

I envision car-free, full- or part-time permanent resident housesitters and anyone else who, say, lives with someone else who is themselves the listed party on a home or lease and on all utility accounts, car ownership documents, bank accounts, etc., as being particularly interested in the answer to the questions I've posed.

The 1 July 22 date is the due date to obtain the Constancia de Situación Fiscal, which is applied for after the RFC is in hand, and which each adult ag 18+ who is temporal/permanente/Mexican citizen must have. (The law does not apply to tourists, in-transit visas etc.) This new Constancia acknowledges the valid registration with SAT of one's CURP, RFC, and address. If you are a tourist, there's no need to acquire. However, if you have a legal status in Mexico, it's time to comply. You may not own a car or home or have utilities now, but none of those are prerequisites for the document. Thinking ahead, should you require a factura for reimbursement of medical bills or other large expenses in Mexico, you'll need all three documents. Many Mexicans do not own, rent, have vehicles registered or have utility bills in their name, but they also must register, according to federal law.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bmh said:

well good luck making an appointment..before the first to start with. They are going to be so overwhelmed that they will never be able to fit in everyone by their deadline and then what? We will all get executed?

I don't believe they will be overwhelmed as most Mexicans over the age of 18 already have their RFC and many expats already have one. It is only the ones who are probably here less than 10 years. Many who I have discussed this with have their RFC, it is the last form that most do not have. (Including me). While I never actually applied for one, when I went on the gov't site where it can be checked, it was verified that I have one. It is on bank statements already years ago and is valid.

• Like 1

I have a valid RFC iñ, I am a Mexican  citizen and need to have a constancia de situacion fiscal with the electrlnic signature etc.. I have one from 3 years ago but the notario told me i neede a new lne to redl the escritura on tbe house. Itried to make an appointment with SAT but there is no space and i am on the virtual line.. You have your theory and belief   I am dealing with reality and when I say they will be overwhelmef i gl by what i am experiencing not my theory

Most Mexicans i deal with do not have the new constancia and as they eill need ot eventually for their business the offices will be oberwhelmed

• Like 1

The problem with getting an appointment likely has nothing to do with the new requirements. It has been impossible to get an appointment, at least at the PV office I deal with, for over two years. When the pandemic hit, they started only opening the booking calendar 2 weeks ahead, and no matter what time of the day or night I tried, all the slots were taken.

I know you don't have to attend in person, though, to get the new constancia, because my accountant did that for me, and she did it all online.

So if you don't have an accountant, maybe pay one to do it for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, LostKitty said:

OH; my dear friend; you are a true free spirit--"Love ya"--you are a true enemy of the state --You are my hero---HA--I am working on my temperment to be more like you-- I tend to get a little rattled---HA

On 5/21/2022 at 4:30 PM, jrod said:

The 1 July 22 date is the due date to obtain the Constancia de Situación Fiscal, which is applied for after the RFC is in hand, and which each adult ag 18+ who is temporal/permanente/Mexican citizen must have. (The law does not apply to tourists, in-transit visas etc.) This new Constancia acknowledges the valid registration with SAT of one's CURP, RFC, and address. If you are a tourist, there's no need to acquire. However, if you have a legal status in Mexico, it's time to comply. You may not own a car or home or have utilities now, but none of those are prerequisites for the document. Thinking ahead, should you require a factura for reimbursement of medical bills or other large expenses in Mexico, you'll need all three documents. Many Mexicans do not own, rent, have vehicles registered or have utility bills in their name, but they also must register, according to federal law.

Congrats--you got the gov't's number---I salute you--!!!!!!!!!!!

On 5/21/2022 at 5:47 PM, bmh said:

well good luck making an appointment..before the first to start with. They are going to be so overwhelmed that they will never be able to fit in everyone by their deadline and then what? We will all get executed?

I live in PV; within walking distance of the SAT building--150+ souls waiting in line--the "sheep" --so sad--!

On 5/21/2022 at 5:47 PM, bmh said:

NO--no worries; school yard bullies always back down--a dead line will be extended--" to when"?-- when you may need a RFC----- Govt's in the world are "MANDATE BAT SHIET HAPPY'-- and Mexico is no exeption--

On 5/22/2022 at 9:25 AM, luvsdawgs said:

I don't believe they will be overwhelmed as most Mexicans over the age of 18 already have their RFC and many expats already have one. It is only the ones who are probably here less than 10 years. Many who I have discussed this with have their RFC, it is the last form that most do not have. (Including me). While I never actually applied for one, when I went on the gov't site where it can be checked, it was verified that I have one. It is on bank statements already years ago and is valid.

Hey--Ludwig-- I suggest you go to your local SAT office----My office in PV had the whole world there--easy  150 souls----so I says to self-- self; let's go to the bank, that I haven't visited in the last two years because of covid- and low and behold; the bank was empty-- so what do I do ?--withdraw all my money to get ready for the next attack from gov't----RFC----HA

On 5/22/2022 at 3:54 PM, mudgirl said:

The problem with getting an appointment likely has nothing to do with the new requirements. It has been impossible to get an appointment, at least at the PV office I deal with, for over two years. When the pandemic hit, they started only opening the booking calendar 2 weeks ahead, and no matter what time of the day or night I tried, all the slots were taken.

I know you don't have to attend in person, though, to get the new constancia, because my accountant did that for me, and she did it all online.

So if you don't have an accountant, maybe pay one to do it for you.

Like Mud says--sometimes it's better to pay and avoid undue aggrivation--- Like the song from Kenny Rogers --"Know when to hold them and know when to fold them"---and pick your battles--- life is too short-HA