Chapala.com Webboard

Mabe brand appliances

31 minutes ago, SunFan said:

Back to the original question.....

We bought a top end Mabe gas stove and kept it three years before we replaced it. In fact threw it in the trash.

It had no insulation so was inefficient and the exterior got so hot we had to use a towel to work the controls. Their engineers cleverly put all the control knobs on the top, front. After a month some of the button controls popped out  on the floor from the heat.

The final straw was when the outer glass door on the oven exploded and showered my legs with pieces of glass.

SunFan 

Sounds like our Mabe range. Very poorly engineered! We bought the model we did because it has a broiler, but there is zero chance of the heat from said unit ever reaching the food given the fixed location of the oven shelves. And, like you, we found the lack of insulation a serious issue- my cabinets cook to the point I feared a fire, so we bought a Cosori Air Fryer/ Oven and the Mabe is now a storage cabinet.

11 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

What about Whirlpool here in Mexico? Is it the same quality as Whirlpool in the U.S.? I owned Whirlpool appliances in the U.S. and while not high-end, they were a good balance of value and quality.

From experience I'm not big on Mexican appliances. I suspect they're built to lesser standards than NOB and Europe.

Six years ago we bought a top-of-the-line Whirlpool front loading washer/dryer  set from Tio Sam. After two years the washer threw an error code indicating the circuit board was toast. Out of warranty after one year of course. Whirlpool technications two two months to agree on the problem. We were taking our clothes to the local laundry.

Whirlpool could not source a replacement computer. For over 5,000 pesos the best they could do was install a circuit board from an older model that lacked 4 of the newer cycles.

In future i would buy from Costco where at least you get more than a taillight guarantee.

SunFan

Exactly the same thing happened with my Samsung washing machine- motherboard fried. 

The technician said he could order a new one, but it would take a month to get it, so yeah, I was hauling my laundry to the laundromat. When I didn't hear from him for a month and called, he told me the motherboard wasn't available anywhere in Mexico.

But I got the idea to look on Mercado Libre, and lo and behold, there was a guy in Mazatlan selling new ones, with a list of all the models it fit, and a photo of it, which was identical to mine. I ordered it, it arrived by Estafeta in 2 days, I popped it in myself (just  a matter of taking a photo of where all the color-coded connections attach so I didn't screw that up) and voila, a working machine again, still going strong 5 years later.

Sometimes you just have to source things yourself, not take someone's word (even if that someone is an "expert") that it "isn't available". That Samsung repairman could have found it as easily as I did on Mercado Libre, but he never bothered to look- probably just checked with wherever he normally gets his Samsung parts.

• Like 1

We have had excellent luck with LG. A refri since 2007 and a washing machine in 2007. No problems. Stove is Arcos, 2008, no problem. Electric dryer is 1982 model Kenmore. Picked it up at garage sale in Texas for $45 in 2009.  No problems.

11 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Picked it up at garage sale in Texas for $45 in 2009.  No problems.

Except that even with international big name brands, the appliances you buy in Mexico are usually manufactured or assembled here or somewhere in Latin America. So the quality control might not be up to par.

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

My Mabe appliances have never had a problem. Washer/dryer is 15 years old. 

As I said upthread, the OP will likely get wildly different opinions. So you and I and Jillin have had no complaints about our Mabe products, while others claim they are trash.

1. Bought a new Mabe stove for a rental apartment -- one of the igniters did not work.

2. Bought a house with a new dishwasher (packing materials still not removed). The mechanical cycle control did not work.

3. Moved into a condo with a new Mabe fridge and new Mabe dishwasher. The fridge had poor temperature control and ultimately clogged one of the tubes which fed the cool air. Vegetables placed at the back of the fridge tended to freeze. The dishwasher had an electronic cycle control and it did not work.

I bought a house that had a Mabe fridge. It would not get cool enough-it could not make ice cubes and food would spoil. When looking for a new fridge I went to various stores with an extension cord and thermometer. I would turn the fridge on and check the temperature after several hours until I found one that would get cool enough. Just to be certain it worked. I bought a Whirlpool.

2 hours ago, cedros said:

I bought a house that had a Mabe fridge. It would not get cool enough-it could not make ice cubes and food would spoil. When looking for a new fridge I went to various stores with an extension cord and thermometer. I would turn the fridge on and check the temperature after several hours until I found one that would get cool enough. Just to be certain it worked. I bought a Whirlpool.

So you hung out at a store for several hours each time to check the cooling temperature ? me think the problem is elsewhere 😉 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, HoneyBee said:

So you hung out at a store for several hours each time to check the cooling temperature ? me think the problem is elsewhere 😉 

No I did not hang out at a store -I went and did other things. I did this a number of times. I think you are confused or poor at math 2 + 2 =5.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1