Chapala.com Webboard

Primary source of COVID misinformation is the feds, scientists and scholars tell surgeon general

33 minutes ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

Just the news:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Solomon_(political_commentator)

Conspiracy theories are all you have got it appears?

https://www.mediamatters.org/john-solomon

Searching out these far right sources gives confirmation of your mindset where you state you use facts and rational thinking when arguing on these topics. I presume you do not but "think" you do.

15 minutes ago, bwhite1948 said:

Are you a PhD doctor? Do you teach at a medical school? If not read the article. Real doctors who opinions that matter more than yours give the reasons for what they said. But your part of the covid pack.... never look at facts you don't like just ignore and attack them.

24 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Just the news:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Solomon_(political_commentator)

Conspiracy theories are all you have got it appears?

https://www.mediamatters.org/john-solomon

Searching out these far right sources gives confirmation of your mindset where you state you use facts and rational thinking when arguing on these topics. I presume you do not but "think" you do.

You go under my previous post. So your more knowledgeable than doctors and doctors that teach other doctors. Go back to your covid pack your bias is showing 

14 minutes ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

You go under my previous post. So your more knowledgeable than doctors and doctors that teach other doctors. Go back to your covid pack your bias is showing 

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-misinformation.amp.htmlThe Coronavirus Pandemic

"Study Finds ‘Single Largest Driver’ of Coronavirus Misinformation: Trump

Cornell University researchers analyzing 38 million English-language articles about the pandemic found that President Trump was the largest driver of the “infodemic.”

ImageMentions of President Trump made up nearly 38 percent of the overall online “misinformation conversation” about the virus, researchers said.

Mentions of President Trump made up nearly 38 percent of the overall online “misinformation conversation” about the virus, researchers said.Credit...Erin Schaff/The New York Times

Published Sept. 30, 2020Updated Oct. 6, 2021

"WASHINGTON — Of the flood of misinformation, conspiracy theories and falsehoods seeding the internet on the coronavirus, one common thread stands out: President Trump.

That is the conclusion of researchers at Cornell University who analyzed 38 million articles about the pandemic in English-language media around the world. Mentions of Mr. Trump made up nearly 38 percent of the overall “misinformation conversation,” making the president the largest driver of the “infodemic” — falsehoods involving the pandemic.

The study, to be released Thursday, is the first comprehensive examination of coronavirus misinformation in traditional and online media.

“The biggest surprise was that the president of the United States was the single largest driver of misinformation around Covid,” said Sarah Evanega, the director of the Cornell Alliance for Science and the study’s lead author. “That’s concerning in that there are real-world dire health implications.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The study identified 11 topics of misinformation, including various conspiracy theories, like one that emerged in January suggesting the pandemic was manufactured by Democrats to coincide with Mr. Trump’s impeachment trial, and another that purported to trace the initial outbreak in Wuhan, China, to people who ate bat soup.

But by far the most prevalent topic of misinformation was “miracle cures,” including Mr. Trump’s promotion of anti-malarial drugs and disinfectants as potential treatments for Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. That accounted for more misinformation than the other 10 topics combined, the researchers reported.

They found that of the more than 38 million articles published from Jan. 1 to May 26, more than 1.1 million — or slightly less than 3 percent — contained misinformation. They sought to identify and categorize falsehoods, and also tracked trends in reporting, including rises in coverage.

For example, on April 24, a day after Mr. Trump floated — and was ridiculed for — the idea that disinfectants and ultraviolet light might treat Covid-19, there were more than 30,000 articles in the “miracle cures” category, up from fewer than 10,000 only days earlier. Mr. Trump drove those increases, the study found.

ADVERTISEMENT

To those who have been watching Mr. Trump’s statements, the idea that he is responsible for spreading or amplifying misinformation might not come as a huge shock. The president has also been feeding disinformation campaigns around the presidential election and mail-in voting that Russian actors have amplified — and his own government has tried to stop.

But in interviews, the Cornell researchers said they expected to find more mentions of conspiracy theories, and not so many articles involving Mr. Trump."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-misinformation.amp.html

Study Finds ‘Single Largest Driver’ of Coronavirus Misinformation: Trump

Cornell University researchers analyzing 38 million English-language articles about the pandemic found that President Trump was the largest driver of the “infodemic.”

ImageMentions of President Trump made up nearly 38 percent of the overall online “misinformation conversation” about the virus, researchers said.

Mentions of President Trump made up nearly 38 percent of the overall online “misinformation conversation” about the virus, researchers said.Credit...Erin Schaff/The New York Times

Published Sept. 30, 2020Updated Oct. 6, 2021

"WASHINGTON — Of the flood of misinformation, conspiracy theories and falsehoods seeding the internet on the coronavirus, one common thread stands out: President Trump.

That is the conclusion of researchers at Cornell University who analyzed 38 million articles about the pandemic in English-language media around the world. Mentions of Mr. Trump made up nearly 38 percent of the overall “misinformation conversation,” making the president the largest driver of the “infodemic” — falsehoods involving the pandemic.

The study, to be released Thursday, is the first comprehensive examination of coronavirus misinformation in traditional and online media.

“The biggest surprise was that the president of the United States was the single largest driver of misinformation around Covid,” said Sarah Evanega, the director of the Cornell Alliance for Science and the study’s lead author. “That’s concerning in that there are real-world dire health implications.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The study identified 11 topics of misinformation, including various conspiracy theories, like one that emerged in January suggesting the pandemic was manufactured by Democrats to coincide with Mr. Trump’s impeachment trial, and another that purported to trace the initial outbreak in Wuhan, China, to people who ate bat soup.

But by far the most prevalent topic of misinformation was “miracle cures,” including Mr. Trump’s promotion of anti-malarial drugs and disinfectants as potential treatments for Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. That accounted for more misinformation than the other 10 topics combined, the researchers reported.

They found that of the more than 38 million articles published from Jan. 1 to May 26, more than 1.1 million — or slightly less than 3 percent — contained misinformation. They sought to identify and categorize falsehoods, and also tracked trends in reporting, including rises in coverage.

For example, on April 24, a day after Mr. Trump floated — and was ridiculed for — the idea that disinfectants and ultraviolet light might treat Covid-19, there were more than 30,000 articles in the “miracle cures” category, up from fewer than 10,000 only days earlier. Mr. Trump drove those increases, the study found.

ADVERTISEMENT

To those who have been watching Mr. Trump’s statements, the idea that he is responsible for spreading or amplifying misinformation might not come as a huge shock. The president has also been feeding disinformation campaigns around the presidential election and mail-in voting that Russian actors have amplified — and his own government has tried to stop.

But in interviews, the Cornell researchers said they expected to find more mentions of conspiracy theories, and not so many articles involving Mr. Trump."

Call my article biased....then post one from Cornell which is a hive mind of left wing loonies.

1 hour ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

Call my article biased....then post one from Cornell which is a hive mind of left wing loonies.

Cornell is an outstanding school.  Why are you jealous of higher education?  Education is the antidote to stupidity and ignorance.   Oh wait, that's why you're afraid of education.  You and your fellow trumpettes.   And before you again claim to be a libertarian, read this.  You are on record as anti-choice and have stated that abortion = murder.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_perspectives_on_abortion#:~:text=The 2012 political platform of,person for their conscientious consideration."

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bwhite1948 said:

Cornell is an outstanding school.  Why are you jealous of higher education?  Education is the antidote to stupidity and ignorance.   Oh wait, that's why you're afraid of education.  You and your fellow trumpettes.   And before you again claim to be a libertarian, read this.  You are on record as anti-choice and have stated that abortion = murder.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarian_perspectives_on_abortion#:~:text=The 2012 political platform of,person for their conscientious consideration."

I'm not a Trump supporter.... libertarian here.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

I'm not a Trump supporter.... libertarian here.

libetarian = teabagger. and what on your curriculum vitae[I know you'll have to look up the meaning of that] suggests that you are capable of understanding anything medical or anything scientific.

12 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Libertarian def.- sorry excuse for a republican

Again another pack member attacking. Libertarians are totally different than conservatives but you would have to actually read about them not just make up your own ideas of them

16 minutes ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

Just as well as any in your pack. Or do any of you have medical training? If nor shut up if you tell others to shut up because if training and knowledge.

Your argument is on very soft ground my friend.

I belong to no pack but I do enjoy playing with someone like you ,like a cat plays with a ball of yarn, and yes I have training and so does my daughter and son. I still have a Vademecum[sic] and Merck manual in my library. I don't comment on things I  know nothing about

44 minutes ago, bwhite1948 said:

Libertarians are PRO-choice; you are ANTI-choice.  You are not a Libertarian.   

No we are do anything that does not hurt or steal. So we are not pro abortion a libertarian that says that is not one.

15 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Standing by while others suffer is hurting. Allowing corporations and the elite to not pay taxes is promoting stealing from the less fortunate. 

Well that us why libertarians like a flat tax EVERYONE pays into the system at the same rate but the more you make  the more you pay. Also sales taxes are great.  The rich like rich things no way to avoid the tax. Savers will pay less. I never said anywhere I was for the current system. I follow what most libertarians follow. Flat tax EVERYONE pays and sales taxes so there is no way out from paying taxes.  

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

I belong to no pack but I do enjoy playing with someone like you ,like a cat plays with a ball of yarn, and yes I have training and so does my daughter and son. I still have a Vademecum[sic] and Merck manual in my library. I don't comment on things I  know nothing about

Only in your demented mind. Lol I think they make meds for the mental problems you have.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Only in your demented mind. Lol I think they make meds for the mental problems you have.

1 hour ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

No we are do anything that does not hurt or steal. So we are not pro abortion a libertarian that says that is not one.

Whether abortion "hurts" is a matter of opinion. A true libertarian would not try to enforce their opinions on others. 

11 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Whether abortion "hurts" is a matter of opinion. A true libertarian would not try to enforce their opinions on others. 

With that way of thinking I couldn't I force any laws stopping someone from hurting or killing you.  See how stupid that sounds libertarians are not anarchists. We don't cate if you want to hurt yourself but the being with its own human DNA in you is not allowed like allowing someone to hurt to kill you is not allowed. 

Check out anarchists and you will find what you are thinking.