Chapala.com Webboard

RFC Number

I may have missed it on the thread, but I can't find if there is an SAT office in Chapala. If so, where is it? I am trying to navigate the SAT site, but Chrome stops translating about the time I try to make an appointment. Would like to know if there is a local office or if I will have to go to Guad. GRRRR

1 minute ago, MtnMama said:

I may have missed it on the thread, but I can't find if there is an SAT office in Chapala. If so, where is it? I am trying to navigate the SAT site, but Chrome stops translating about the time I try to make an appointment. Would like to know if there is a local office or if I will have to go to Guad. GRRRR

No there is not.  Look at my recent post about NEW Federal Law Re: RFC.... and when you go on line to book appt.    apparently you can opt for location of choice.  In that case, ADSC Jalisco 2 is in the middle of Abastos..... MUCH closer to us than   north-centro of Guad where main office in located.

34 minutes ago, Natasha said:

No there is not.  Look at my recent post about NEW Federal Law Re: RFC.... and when you go on line to book appt.    apparently you can opt for location of choice.  In that case, ADSC Jalisco 2 is in the middle of Abastos..... MUCH closer to us than   north-centro of Guad where main office in located.

That's what I was afraid of. What a mess.

3 hours ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

I'll post when I find it again.

Probably this one:

https://www.mi-rfc.com.mx/consulta-rfc-homoclave

Note that this is not a Gov't site.

It constructs an RFC from your CURP (which you don't enter), and explains how it's formed. Interesting thing here is that it successfully found my CURP from only name and DOB. Who the heck is www.mi-rfc.com.mx that they have such access?

And, since INM is the only agency I've dealt with, SAT and INM would appear to share resident data. Mine's really new.

I don't think they're bad actors, but again: who is mi-rfc.com.mx that they can look up a CURP assigned one week ago, in seconds?

I keep telling "my" immigration lawyer that while I know she mostly deals with INM, and RFCs are SAT's domain, if she could Columbo-out the whole SAT thing it might be a new line of business for her expat hand-holding practice. Or an enhancement, if the rumors are true that INM will cooperate with SAT to assign RFCs to virgin residentes. I mean, it only makes sense.

Her replies are very consistent. "You don't understand. These are two unrelated agencies, so it is impossible. Anyone who says this is lying."

Well all-righty then, Señora Abogada. Whatevs.

Unless I miss my guess -- and I well might -- it appears that a light-duty RFC is easy to get. If this is so, the question is what's such a number good for and not good for? And for what kinds of transactions do you need a more durable RFC?

Let me send a message to the good folks at Two Expats Mexico and see if they can color this in yet (I'm a Patreon patron).

LQ

• Like 3

On 5/19/2022 at 1:10 PM, bwhite1948 said:

All they did was make up a phony number.  The only people who can issue an RFC is SAT.  

It was exactly the same number as my RFC # was in my car papers. 

On 5/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, mudgirl said:

If you never applied for an RFC, you don't have one. Many entities, like banks, will just use a generic RFC on the receipts if you don't provide them with an RFC #. 

A real RFC starts with the first 2 letters of your last name, then the first 2 letters of your first name,, then your birthdate YY/MO/DAY, then a letter and 2 numbers.

If you have a real RFC on your car tag payments, there is a place to change your password if you forgot it or have never accessed the SAT site before. You don't need an efirma.

My RFC number follows that same pattern so maybe it is real.

12 hours ago, cedros said:

My RFC number follows that same pattern so maybe it is real.

Seems logical that if your RFC number was printed from gov website that it is real.  Fake numbers would not have shown up as valid, therefore,  you would have nothing to print.

Bbva got in trouble years ago for not having rfc for all their clientes so they issued them.and i used that number for years .I used it for reimbursement with my insurrance.One day i received a message from sat to come and talk to them at the abastos locatiin. They wanted to check where i was getting my money from and thrn they entered me as receiving money fron the States  . A few years ago when they  had a new system or something was changed..the farmacies could not enter the rfc anymore

.it showed as non valid  so I went to sat and they got me new numbers for both of us and gave me a constancia ..Now I am  changing the escritura on the hoyse.. I need a contanvia again, the notario told me to see if my acvountabt could show me how to do it on line.. so it must be possible to do it on line.

Actually they have tutorial on how to do it on line.so.ill try that first

• Like 1

4 hours ago, traderspoc said:

Your banker has it. When yo u opened your bank account.

No, not necessarily. Banks assigned generic RFC numbers if you never applied for an RFC and or did not give it to them. They used to assume that foreigners didn't have an RFC, and even if you did, they wouldn't know that or know the number unless you provided them with that info.

I opened 2 bank accounts years ago and they just wrote in some generic RFC number. It took one of the banks almost a year to change it on my account after I gave them copies of my real RFC papers. I had to keep bugging them about it.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Bank assigned "fake" numbers to us too. 

They weren't so much "fake" numbers, as in that they were doing something illegal, as they were just generic numbers assigned to those who didn't provide them with an official RFC. I believe that's just how things worked then. 

It wasn't just banks that did this- as I have run a business since 2004, there were businesses where I purchased things that were registered with SAT and tax compliant, who would sometimes hand me a factura with a generic number, when I didn't actually ask for a factura, because I couldn't deduct the purchase from my business income, as it wasn't a business expense. 

Those generic numbers were classified as indicating "publico en general" in the SAT regieme.

Many thanks to InChapala1 on page 2 of this thread.  Link was great if you have your CURP (year of issue is on CURP), know your phone #, postal code, and Jalisco, etc.  It verified the RFC I had but I  hadn’t been sure it was correct after reading about all the bogus ones😂

• Like 1

Just viewed this notice of my CFE acct.

- Court from 18 APR 22.
- Due to the official provision, we require you to update your fiscal data to avoid rejection of your electricity supply bill before the SAT; Go to your Customer Service Center. You have until June 30, 2022.

Sounds like they will shut off my electricity?

23 minutes ago, sunshineydays said:

Just viewed this notice of my CFE acct.

- Court from 18 APR 22.
- Due to the official provision, we require you to update your fiscal data to avoid rejection of your electricity supply bill before the SAT; Go to your Customer Service Center. You have until June 30, 2022.

Sounds like they will shut off my electricity?

Sounds like you won't be able to use your CFE bill as a legal document before SAT if you should need to. But that's just a guess, might want to check it out further.

OK, now I am confused.  I looked over all my official documents including original new car purchase 3 years ago, permanente visa, telmex bill, drivers license.  I never searched for a RFC # before, but the same one was on my car purchase and local peso bank statement.  My telmex bill had a completely different RFC #.  My visa has only a CURP.   Can anyone make sense of all this?  I don't own a home or earn money in MX.  Do I still need to go through this process?  Any help is appreciated.