Chapala.com Webboard

RFC Number

1 minute ago, mudgirl said:

Assigned by whom? On what, your car papers? A generic RFC number will not read like I showed you above- if it reads like I showed, it isn't generic.

I am trying to help you, but you really are difficult to umderstand.

Assigning a number for various things was common practice 10 years ago according to the facilators. You will get it-keep trying.

9 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Assigned by whom? On what, your car papers? A generic RFC number will not read like I explained to you above- if it reads like I showed, it isn't generic.

I am trying to help you, but you really are difficult to understand.

You are not helping me at all as you are confused. Read things again. I will report back as to how I made out at internet cafes.

8 minutes ago, cedros said:

Assigning a number for various things was common practice 10 years ago according to the facilators. You will get it-keep trying.

You may be making sense to yourself, but you aren't making sense to me. If you have a  legitimate RFC number, you have to give it to whatever entity you want to use it on your paperwork. How would they know what your RFC number is if you don't tell them?

14 minutes ago, cedros said:

I already told you that. But some generic number they assign will not read like what I stated. How many times do you need to be told that?

I have had an RFC nuumber for 16 years- I run a business and pay taxes. There is nothing for me to "get"- I don't use facilitators, I know how this stuff works.

Before I had an RFC, yes my bank assigned a generic number that looks nothing like an a real RFC- it doesn't have your initials or birthdate. When I got an RFC, I gave it to my bank and they changed the generic one to my real one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

You may be making sense to yourself, but you aren't making sense to me. If you have a  legitimate RFC number, you have to give it to whatever entity you want to use it on your paperwork. How would they know what your RFC number is if you don't tell them?

I suspect that I may have 2 RFC numbers.

19 hours ago, ibarra said:

Go to an internet cafe or copy place,  take your CURP number and let them retrieve your number. 

The first internet cafe that I went to generated my RFC # from my CURP #

• Like 1

If Cedros got a printout, I hope there were multiple copies. There most definitely is a way to get another copy of your RFC (that you already have but lost) by just inputting your CURP number. Spencer's office did it for me... and I promptly misplaced it. So I did it again myself. But, I'll be damned if I could find the website again that allowed me to do it. And I couldn't navigate the website that Ibarra posted. I'm sure the "how to" is in there somewhere but I gave up. Anyway, ten copies oughta last me a while and then some.

Go to https://wwwmat.sat.gob.mx/personas/tramites-del-rfc

Go to last option on the page: Validación del RFC (RFC Validation)

Then 2 options:

1. Select "Consulta tu clave de RFC mediante CURP" (Check your RFC key using CURP) or use this direct URL https://wwwmat.sat.gob.mx/aplicacion/operacion/31274/consulta-tu-clave-de-rfc-mediante-curp . Enter requested info, and it'll provide your RFC.

2. Or select "Verifica si estas registrado en el RFC" (Check if you are registered in the RFC). This option simply states whether you have an RFC #.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Saw that option but when entering a valid CURP the response is no RFC is on file but when entering the RFC it says the number is valid.

Update: The reason the lookup doesn't work is that SAT did not enter my CURP when establishing the RFC number. The lookup works fine for my wife's CURP to RFC lookup since her RFC account has the CURP attached,

On 5/18/2022 at 7:47 PM, mudgirl said:

So if we started bank accts, CFE, Telmex, Telcel etc in the past we have to contact each entity and give them our RFC? Will this be a requirement to be able to use them as proof of address for example?

59 minutes ago, sunshineydays said:

Will this be a requirement to be able to use them

Haven't seen any speculation like that. It's just a tax ID. It's pretty tough to do ordinary tax enforcement without each entity having a unique identifier. In the States, the U.S. uses Social Security numbers for individuals, and EINs (Employer Identification Number) for companies. The RFC is Mexico's (AMLO's) attempt to create something similar.

Hard to imagine that you'll need to give your RFC to buy some tomatoes or pay the water bill. Think instead of real estate transactions, import-export, and car and boat sales. Basically, Mexico has figured out that a lot of VAT goes unpaid, because they can't prove it's unpaid. But if the parties to these transactions must each give an unequivocal identifier, you'll have fixed a lot of the problem.

I think most folks will only need an RFC when buying a car, or similar big-ticket item. SAT is rolling it out slowly, but the day will probably come when you can't buy a new-ish car without one, and some folks will want to get ahead of that. If they make it easy enough, I will. Seems like online issuance is coming, at least for individuals.

LQ

1 hour ago, sunshineydays said:

So if we started bank accts, CFE, Telmex, Telcel etc in the past we have to contact each entity and give them our RFC? Will this be a requirement to be able to use them as proof of address for example?

Yes, as I answered in Mexico General. Bank.... do now.  The rest?  When they ask???

1 minute ago, Lou Quillio said:

Haven't seen any speculation like that. It's just a tax ID. It's pretty tough to do ordinary tax enforcement without each entity having a unique identifier. In the States, the U.S. uses Social Security numbers for individuals, and EINs (Employer Identification Number) for companies. The RFC is Mexico's (AMLO's) attempt to create something similar.

Hard to imagine that you'll need to give your RFC to buy some tomatoes or pay the water bill. Think instead of real estate transactions, import-export, and car and boat sales. Basically, Mexico has figured out that a lot of VAT goes unpaid, because they can't prove it's unpaid. But if the parties to these transactions must each give an unequivocal identifier, you'll have fixed a lot of the problem.

I think most folks will only need an RFC when buying a car, or similar big-ticket item. SAT is rolling it out slowly, but the day will probably come when you can't buy a new-ish car without one, and some folks will want to get ahead of that. If they make it easy enough, I will. Seems like online issuance is coming, at least for individuals.

LQ

THINK what you want.... but that doesn't make it correct. See my post today in Mexico General re: NEW Law regarding RFC including all foreign residents in Mexico..... applies as of July 1. Taken word for word from Mexico News Daily.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 7:58 PM, mudgirl said:

I already told you that. But some generic number they assign will not read like what I stated. How many times do you need to be told that?

I have had an RFC nuumber for 16 years- I run a business and pay taxes. There is nothing for me to "get"- I don't use facilitators, I know how this stuff works.

Before I had an RFC, yes my bank assigned a generic number that looks nothing like an a real RFC- it doesn't have your initials or birthdate. When I got an RFC, I gave it to my bank and they changed the generic one to my real one.

Did you come down on a retirement visa? We just did and now they make us write and sign a letter we won't make any money working in mexico.

Several weeks ago I received an email from Multiva.  Google wouldn't translate it so to be I was interpreting it correctly, I printed it and asked at the office. The letter refers exactly to what you all are talking about.  Manager at MV said that it only applied if you had a business and paid taxes....

3 hours ago, Natasha said:

See my post today in Mexico General re: NEW Law regarding RFC including all foreign residents in Mexico

For those who don't often have time to read every post, this seems to be it:

Here's the MND link:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/tax-reform-requires-expat-taxpayer-registration/

And here's the full text, in that nightmare format called PDF:

https://storage.googleapis.com/posted-elsewhere/chapala.com/pdf/mexiconewsdaily-20220519-tax-reform-requires-expats-to-obtain-taxpayer-registration.pdf

LQ

44 minutes ago, Lou Quillio said:

For those who don't often have time to read every post, this seems to be it:

Here's the MND link:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/tax-reform-requires-expat-taxpayer-registration/

And here's the full text, in that nightmare format called PDF:

https://storage.googleapis.com/posted-elsewhere/chapala.com/pdf/mexiconewsdaily-20220519-tax-reform-requires-expats-to-obtain-taxpayer-registration.pdf

LQ

I found a link where you put in your curp info and they give you your rfc number. But it will only work if you don't make any income. So it works for all these new things coming but not for paying taxes. I'll post when I find it again.

5 hours ago, Lou Quillio said:

I think most folks will only need an RFC when buying a car, or similar big-ticket item.

It isn't just a matter of "needing"it. If you own a home in Mexico, it is to one's advantage to have an RFC and ask for facturas for anything related to construction, upgrades, appliances, AC, solar, or other permanent installations, etc. These can be deducted from the capital gains calculation if you sell the place.

Of course, a local small time abanil is not going to give you a factura- he doesn't even report his earnings or pay tax. But for purchase and services which are reporting and tax compliant and adding the 16% IVA regardless of whether you ask for a factura or not, you might as well accumulate those facturas if you own a house.