Chapala.com Webboard

RFC Number

17 hours ago, John Shrall said:

My RFC number appears on the car tag payment receipt from earlier this year.

My Mexican Drivers license  has "RFC o CURP" and then shows my CURP so does one lead to the other.

my RFC # is 13 digits where as the  CURP is 18. They are similar

There doesn't appear to be a lookup for a RFC number like the one available for a CURP.

If you got a real RFC from SAT you received a CIF card with the RFC information printed and available from SAT through the QR code.

I store passwords and critical information like CURP, RFC, license, passport and so on in a program called PasswordSafe. I then put a copy of the safe on Dropbox so it can be viewed whenever and wherever needed on my cell phone. It has come in handy when needing a Factura for insurance purposes which requires the RFC number.

image.png.c6097656b711027ce172338c18b0b3ff.png

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

I used the website that I referenced just the other day to look up my RFC number.

I could not do it there.

20 minutes ago, cedros said:

I could not do it there.

Mexican websites are often browser-fussy. It's always worth trying a different browser if a site isn't working properly. 

And people can often offer advice as to how to do something if you mention what you tried and what happened, (got an error message, got nothing, couldn't fill in your CURP) rather than just "I couldn't do it".  

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Mexican websites are often browser-fussy. It's always worth trying a different browser if a site isn't working properly. 

And people can often offer advice as to how to do something if you mention what you tried and what happened, (got an error message, got nothing, couldn't fill in your CURP) rather than just "I couldn't do it".  

I could not do it there because  I did not have Contraseña: and e.firma portable. But my RFC # is shown on my various car tag payment receipts and on my vehicle's original factura. That site that ibarra posted did not ask for my CURP # . 
A browser thing or because it was bought through S & S?

There appears to be man things you can do on the sat.gob.mx site but looking up your RFC number doesn't seem to be one of them. 

You can click on obtain a RFC number but you receive a message that you must physically appear at a SAT office to get one.

You can calculate a RFC number based on an algorithm but it will not exist in the SAT database until they give you one. The last 3 characters are described as a checksum based on the first 10. It's more like a tie-breaker because there is a good possibility of duplicates based on the name and birthdate algorithm.

• Like 1

It would stand to reason that the only way one could "look up" an RFC number is if you applied for one at a SAT office and it is in their database however there does not appear to be any option buried in that site to make that sort of lookup.

The CURP number is in a database so it can be queried. Just about everyone has a CURP but not necessarily a real RFC which is only used when dealing with money/taxes at SAT. I only have a real RFC because I needed to get a refund from SAT for an immigration payment back when inmigrado changed to permanente. I made a payment for inmigrado status the day the change went into effect. The permanente fee was the same but to a different account number. It took 2 years to get the money back.

21 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

How are they able to do this?

I'm not sure how but several people we know were having trouble recovering their RFC numbers themselves and went to different internet places and the people working there had no problem accessing the gov site and getting their already existing numbers.

14 minutes ago, ibarra said:

I'm not sure how but several people we know were having trouble recovering their RFC numbers themselves and went to different internet places and the people working there had no problem accessing the gov site and getting their already existing numbers.

Interesting. I will try that.

13 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Did you look on your receipt from this years refrendo? Others in this thread found their numbers there.  

Yes, mine is there but is it real.

4 hours ago, cedros said:

But my RFC # is shown on my various car tag payment receipts and on my vehicle's original factura

If you never applied for an RFC, you don't have one. Many entities, like banks, will just use a generic RFC on the receipts if you don't provide them with an RFC #. 

A real RFC starts with the first 2 letters of your last name, then the first 2 letters of your first name,, then your birthdate YY/MO/DAY, then a letter and 2 numbers.

If you have a real RFC on your car tag payments, there is a place to change your password if you forgot it or have never accessed the SAT site before. You don't need an efirma.

1 minute ago, mudgirl said:

If you never applied for an RFC, you don't have one. Many entities, like banks, will just use a generic RFC on the receipts if you don't provide them with an RFC #. 

A real RFC starts with the first 2 letters of your last name, then the first 2 letters of your first namme,, then your birthdate YY/MO/DAY, then a letter and 2 numbers.

If you have a real RFC on your car tag payments, there is a place to change your password if you forgot it or have never accessed the SAT site before. You don't need an efirma.

My RFC on my car tags starts with the first 2 letters of my last name as does my CURP. 

5 minutes ago, cedros said:

My RFC on my car tags starts with the first 2 letters of my last name as does my CURP. 

So what are you trying to do, if you already have an RFC #? Why are you trying to access the SAT site? 

And just below the lines on the SAT site where you input your password, it says "Olvidaste su contrasena?" 

On 5/18/2022 at 6:59 PM, mudgirl said:

So what are you trying to do, if you already have an RFC #? Why are you trying to access the SAT site? 

And just below the lines on the SAT site where you input your password, it says "Olvidaste su contrasena?" 

Why? Because when I moved here in 2009, a facilator in Jocotepec, Maria Barbosa, got me every card that was possible to get. I am pretty sure I had a real RFC card, but since then I have lost track of it, so I think that I have been assigned a generic one that is not real. I have not forgetten any password as I have typed sheets of them. 

For awhile I had 2 temporary resident visa numbers which I thought was odd but no one cared. It confused things when I went to renew IMSS

18 minutes ago, cedros said:

I am pretty sure I had a real RFC card, but since then I have lost track of it, so I think that I have been assigned a generic one that is not real.

Assigned by whom? On what, your car papers? A generic RFC number will not read like I explained to you above- if it reads like I showed, it isn't generic.

I am trying to help you, but you really are difficult to understand.

57 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

A real RFC starts with the first 2 letters of your last name, then the first 2 letters of your first name,, then your birthdate YY/MO/DAY, then a letter and 2 numbers.

If you have a real RFC on your car tag payments, there is a place to change your password if you forgot it or have never accessed the SAT site before. You don't need an efirma. I added this hre because I could not edit the above.

Both my Curp and RFC # have my birth date in them. (I am adding this here as I can't edit what I wrote above last)