Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican kindness and friendship

I have thought frequently thought about leaving Mexico. I am blessed with decent health and good finances....and then I factor in my experiences with the people and I know that this is where I will stay.

Last night, we had a power outage, one of many recently....and my oxygen deprived wife needed help as her air supply was failing.....one neighbor went and rented us a 14 hour o2 tank.....not easy on a Saturday night. Another one helped me get my generator up and running to charge our battery operated portable and two local women came and comforted my frightened wife. Offers to shop for us, (not needed but appreciated)....going with us to help get her into the doctor's office.....and much, much more. The Presidente in my village, yes I can call him and he has always been willing to get info as to CFE's progress in restoring power and last night was no different...WOW!

When I think of the negative comments about local government, transitos, roads, noisy restaurants, etc.......I see my personal  scale always tilts towards more pleasant thoughts. Is it perfect here? Certainly not  but, pretty good for me.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

While I totally agreee about the kindness and helpfulness of Mexicans ( I would add to that easy-going natures, sense of humor, and not taking themselves too seriously) as a Canadian, I don't find it unusual- people in Canada also are generally caring of and helpful to their neighbors. So that isn't a factor than would keep me in Mexico if I was considering moving back up north.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 5:33 AM, Fred Habacht said:

I have thought frequently thought about leaving Mexico. I am blessed with decent health and good finances....and then I factor in my experiences with the people and I know that this is where I will stay.

Last night, we had a power outage, one of many recently....and my oxygen deprived wife needed help as her air supply was failing.....one neighbor went and rented us a 14 hour o2 tank.....not easy on a Saturday night. Another one helped me get my generator up and running to charge our battery operated portable and two local women came and comforted my frightened wife. Offers to shop for us, (not needed but appreciated)....going with us to help get her into the doctor's office.....and much, much more. The Presidente in my village, yes I can call him and he has always been willing to get info as to CFE's progress in restoring power and last night was no different...WOW!

When I think of the negative comments about local government, transitos, roads, noisy restaurants, etc.......I see my personal  scale always tilts towards more pleasant thoughts. Is it perfect here? Certainly not  but, pretty good for me.

Good story Fred and my best to Barbara. 

• Thanks 1

At  Costco last week when I was holding too much at the back of the store, a young Mexican with wife and child ran to the front to get me a cart.  Same week when car battery died in Ajijic, a young Mexican and his wife diagnosed the problem, started the car and followed me to Autozone for new battery.  This kind of stuff happens often; wonderful people.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...