Chapala.com Webboard

Kitchen Timer

My wind-up timer died, and search everywhere  left me  denied.  I think you'll have to go to Amazon or MercadoLibre...... which I did, but decided cost to ship such a stupid thing was ridiculous.   I gave up and bought another windup (different style) and so far it's ok.

I have a timer on my computer. Lots of free downloads if you search google. Since the computer is usually the reason that things get (ahem) overdone, the fact that I'm parked in front of it when the timer goes off helps immensely.

edited to add: Cook Timer - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Am surprised that you can not get an apps on your smart phone (this from a person that has no understanding of smart phones. 😊)

that assumes one wants their phone turned on and glued to them at least 16/7       NOT!

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Why would anyone need to use a kitchen timer 16 hours a day? 

I meant if you always wanted the phone to be your timer, then you'd need to keep the phone on all the time so you could whip it out and use it as such. Mine phone is for whatsapp and email after desktop is turned off, and very little more.  So shoot me!

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

I meant if you always wanted the phone to be your timer, then you'd need to keep the phone on all the time so you could whip it out and use it as such. Mine phone is for whatsapp and email after desktop is turned off, and very little more.  So shoot me!

I was just razzin' you, Natasha. But I don't understand this new reasoning either. Unless someone is baking or cooking all day long, which no one does unless they are running a commercial food business, there is no reason why they would need to keep the phone in the kitchen all the time or keep it turned on. You would just turn it on when you needed it, just as you only turn yours on when you want to use whatsapp. And it takes one second to turn a phone on or off.

4 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Please read the post...I said to turn the oven off and just use the timer...that is what the OP is looking for!!!

Yes, I misread. However, not everyone has nor needs a toaster oven and no one would go buy one just to use the timer. 

But I suppose if someone already has one and it hasn't occurred to them they could simply use the timer, your advice would be useful.

8 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, I misread. However, not everyone has nor needs a toaster oven and no one would go buy one just to use the timer. 

But I suppose if someone already has one and it hasn't occurred to them they could simply use the timer, your advice would be useful.

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

Thanks.  The dollar store is a good suggestion.  I will also look in Superlake.

My old microwave had a timer but the new one I bought at Costco a few months back does not.  I use a timer in my kitchen all time, and not just for cooking.  For example, if I turn a sprinkler on on the lawn I will use the timer to help me not forget when to turn it off.  Suggestion of my smartphone, not such a good suggestion.

18 minutes ago, Floradude said:

if I turn a sprinkler on on the lawn I will use the timer to help me not forget when to turn it off

Yes, I like a timer for that, too. I once went out for hours and forgot the sprinkler was on, coming home to  an empty tinako. 

I bought a timer at Home Depot you attach to the outside faucet, and attach the hose to that. There are expensive versions, which you can set to turn on and off at specific times of day, or inexpensive ones you reset each time to only the length of time you want it to stay on.  

I prefer the hose timer to just an all-purpose timer, as you can set it and leave the house and the sprinkler will turn off on its own.

Great store..... IF you hit the right day for what you want.  I wasn't lucky for 2 items (YES to the 3rd) on Tuesday but they assured me (the usual) "maybe next week".  Got their number and will call to check before trying to park anyplace close.

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, I like a timer for that, too. I once went out for hours and forgot the sprinkler was on, coming home to  an empty tinako. 

I bought a timer at Home Depot you attach to the outside faucet, and attach the hose to that. There are expensive versions, which you can set to turn on and off at specific times of day, or inexpensive ones you reset each time to only the length of time you want it to stay on.  

I prefer the hose timer to just an all-purpose timer, as you can set it and leave the house and the sprinkler will turn off on its own.

Yes! Another bonus of a water timer does not work on electricity. If the power goes out, it still stops before draining the tinako.

Edited by Whipstock
Clarification