Chapala.com Webboard

4 Cats In Mexico?!

ElenaB

Hi everyone! This is my very first post. 

I've been doing extensive research on moving to Mexico, and planning a trip early next year. I plan to check out Tulum and Merida currently. 

I live in the US and have four (well behaved, lol) cats. I was wondering how difficult it may be to rent a home long term in Mexico with four pets?

This is the only worry I have at this point. I read another post where someone had 5 animals and didn't have an issue renting! Yay!

Also, if anyone has resources for a real estate company that may be open to a single lady and her furbabies, please let me know. Thank you all!

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions and advice. I'll keep this in mind when I visit next year. 

I was planning to visit between January and March, but it would be a good idea to get a feel for the hot season instead.  I won't be there for primarily vacation so that makes sense! It also gives me more time to save, so win-win! 😃

20 hours ago, ElenaB said:

I live in the US and have four (well behaved, lol) cats. I was wondering how difficult it may be to rent a home long term in Mexico with four pets?

Half-way thru' year 24. Four different landlords. Never less than  3 cats.... and up to 6.  (indoors 24/7 once 2 were poisoned in 2004). At same time never less than 2 large dogs.... and up to 5 (all outdoors 24/7)  Currently at 4 and 4.   NEVER an issue. But then we never rented thru an agent either.

Can't speak to the areas you mention. Generally Mexican landlords are more forgiving. Also can make a difference whether house is furnished or not.

Mainecoons is right..... check it out in your preferred areas.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Half-way thru' year 24. Four different landlords. Never less than  3 cats.... and up to 6.  (indoors 24/7 once 2 were poisoned in 2004). At same time never less than 2 large dogs.... and up to 5 (all outdoors 24/7)  Currently at 4 and 4.   NEVER an issue. But then we never rented thru an agent either.

Can't speak to the areas you mention. Generally Mexican landlords are more forgiving. Also can make a difference whether house is furnished or not.

Mainecoons is right..... check it out in your preferred areas.

Wow! That is so encouraging, thank you for sharing! 

I was advised when going on a "scouting trip" to find apartments just walking around. May I ask, how did you find places without a realtor that were open to allowing that many pets? I figured you just find a place and ask, but I'd love to know your experience. 

Natasha will respond but I thought I'd tell you what we did when we moved back inland. We checked out all areas and knew what appealed to us. IF they were gated communities, we left a resume with the main office of the development. The resume gave details on ourselves and our pets... and that we were willing to leave a pet deposit. It worked. Through the management office, we received an invitation. End of story for four good years. I am not saying that I would buy in a gated community but renting sure allows you to see the goings on up front. We were lucky that, for the most part, it was a well run community while we lived there. Our landlords were exceptional.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Natasha will respond but I thought I'd tell you what we did when we moved back inland. We checked out all areas and knew what appealed to us. IF they were gated communities, we left a resume with the main office of the development. The resume gave details on ourselves and our pets... and that we were willing to leave a pet deposit. It worked. Through the management office, we received an invitation. End of story for four good years. I am not saying that I would buy in a gated community but renting sure allows you to see the goings on up front. We were lucky that, for the most part, it was a well run community while we lived there. Our landlords were exceptional.

I'm so happy it worked out for you, and thank you for your advice! That's exactly what I was considering, just offering to pay more to rent.

I'm feeling like a weight has been lifted thanks to you all ♥️

17 hours ago, ElenaB said:

I was advised when going on a "scouting trip" to find apartments just walking around. May I ask, how did you find places without a realtor that were open to allowing that many pets? I figured you just find a place and ask, but I'd love to know your experience. 

Exactly.  Se Renta signs are good.  Asking in local grocery stores (abarrotes) sometimes.  Local taxis drivers too.  Word of mouth spreads from one to another.  And offering a small "commission" to someone who successfully  helps you find a place also an option.

Ferret is right.  They take pets or they don't. Extra rent is not an offer I would make.  Repairing pet damage is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Natasha said:

Exactly.  Se Renta signs are good

Just remember, those signs don't necessarily mean THAT house is for rent, just that info on a rental can be found at that house. Learned that the hard way.

• Like 2