Chapala.com Webboard

El Chante vs San Juan Cosala

Gathering opinions/facts on liveability and property value/appreciation in El Chante vs San Juan Cosala.  Specifically, El Chante LAKESIDE near El Chante Spa & Hotel and San Juan Cosala MOUNTAINSIDE off Vicente Guerro Norte (straight North from Viva Mexico Restaurant)  Thx!

19 hours ago, BigKH said:

Gathering opinions/facts on liveability and property value/appreciation in El Chante vs San Juan Cosala.  Specifically, El Chante LAKESIDE near El Chante Spa & Hotel and San Juan Cosala MOUNTAINSIDE off Vicente Guerro Norte (straight North from Viva Mexico Restaurant)  Thx!

They aren't that different. El Chante is at an earlier stage of development than SJC.

In my experience, properties in close proximity to Ajijic tend to hold value better, In your case, I would go with San Juan Cosala.  On a side bar, one bit of good advice an agent gave me many years ago was to buy a property with few if any stairs.  I have had 5 properties here, 4 at lakeside, and I agree with the stairs issue.  Buena suerte.

Hi !

I can not speak  from  personal experience about El Chante .. but I  can about  SJC.

If you like rockets, bombs, fireworks,  fire crackers in celebration of every Virgen that ever walked the earth in Mexico, as well as other happy holidays. you will love it here.        After all these years I have gotten used to  it , actually   enjoy the happiness that is shared,, but my dogs  still have not adjusted  to it yet.  Have a friend who lives in that  very particular area you are speaking of.. a short time ago   a large water pipe broke causing a semi-river going down the street.. notices made to the appropriate authorities  were made  a few times - nothing done after many ! weeks .. finally private citizens  paid some  workers  to fix the broken  pipe and part of the damage to the road that the water caused..   I am not being negative, just  giving you some factual information.. Welcome to Mexico !

20 hours ago, Kiko said:

In my experience, properties in close proximity to Ajijic tend to hold value better, In your case, I would go with San Juan Cosala.  On a side bar, one bit of good advice an agent gave me many years ago was to buy a property with few if any stairs.  I have had 5 properties here, 4 at lakeside, and I agree with the stairs issue.  Buena suerte.

Properties closer to Jocotepec rather than to Ajijic may be a better choice. SJC has had many inmprovements in the last 10 yers incuding a traffic light. El Chante has not seen as much improvement but some including many concrete electric poles.  

13 hours ago, Kiko said:

Agree about stairs since I have developed problems but this solved the stair thing for $10000cdn.

electric stair chair.jpg

• Like 2

He's got one of those motorized chair lifts. His left hand is resting on it. I suspect he dealt with this company out of Guadalajara... Unlimited Mobility (movilidadsinlimites.com)

Unlimited Mobility / Stairlift (movilidadsinlimites.com) specifically is the link for stairlifts. His staircase, I think, is a straight run which is cheaper than your stairs which have a turn in the middle. All doable of course pero cuesta mas. Worth a call to get an estimate imho. 

• Like 2

As to livability or SJC property values, I don't know authoritatively, but I get a good impression after several visits.  I've had a small lot on Cutzalan (off Dominguillo) well up the hill for about five years and nice middle-class homes have sprouted up all around it (maybe 50% gringo), to the point where I'm waiting to build to verify that a splendid view will survive such development (looks likely because it's so steep).  Other, larger Racquet Club style houses are sprouting up a hundred meters away, and you may enjoy one of them. Note that there are no supermarkets in the area AFAIK, though I think I heard a rumor that there was such in Joco - closer and less traffic than points east.

14 minutes ago, Ferret said:

He's got one of those motorized chair lifts. His left hand is resting on it. I suspect he dealt with this company out of Guadalajara... Unlimited Mobility (movilidadsinlimites.com)

Unlimited Mobility / Stairlift (movilidadsinlimites.com) specifically is the link for stairlifts. His staircase, I think, is a straight run which is cheaper than your stairs which have a turn in the middle. All doable of course pero cuesta mas. Worth a call to get an estimate imho. 

Tell them you saw the foto of mine and I will get a free maintenance call-gracias. I avoided getting the curve at the bottom 4 steps because there is a pole there that aids me in getting to the chair.

pedro kertesz

16 hours ago, Kiko said:

Agree with Ajijic valuation, but can do without the congestion.  Looking for the perfect balance of valuation and liveability, if such a state exist 🙂

Good advice on stairs.  Having no or minimum stairs is one of the requirements in our house hunting.

15 hours ago, Jackie said:

Hi !

I can not speak  from  personal experience about El Chante .. but I  can about  SJC.

If you like rockets, bombs, fireworks,  fire crackers in celebration of every Virgen that ever walked the earth in Mexico, as well as other happy holidays. you will love it here.        After all these years I have gotten used to  it , actually   enjoy the happiness that is shared,, but my dogs  still have not adjusted  to it yet.  Have a friend who lives in that  very particular area you are speaking of.. a short time ago   a large water pipe broke causing a semi-river going down the street.. notices made to the appropriate authorities  were made  a few times - nothing done after many ! weeks .. finally private citizens  paid some  workers  to fix the broken  pipe and part of the damage to the road that the water caused..   I am not being negative, just  giving you some factual information.. Welcome to Mexico !

Got a barrel of laughs from the fireworks comment!  Same experience up north in Nuevo Leon where we moved from.

GTK about the broken water-pipe issue.  Though unfortunately the private citizens had to take care of, it seems they did a good job.  Didn't see any noticeable water damage/lines with our recent drive-thru and property visit, but then again not sure when it occurred.

57 minutes ago, utilitus said:

As to livability or SJC property values, I don't know authoritatively, but I get a good impression after several visits.  I've had a small lot on Cutzalan (off Dominguillo) well up the hill for about five years and nice middle-class homes have sprouted up all around it (maybe 50% gringo), to the point where I'm waiting to build to verify that a splendid view will survive such development (looks likely because it's so steep).  Other, larger Racquet Club style houses are sprouting up a hundred meters away, and you may enjoy one of them. Note that there are no supermarkets in the area AFAIK, though I think I heard a rumor that there was such in Joco - closer and less traffic than points east.

We checked out a lot just off Dominguilllo and Vicente Guerrero Norte.  Flat lot, but no view due to some upfront property blockage.  Hopefully you can manage a view from your lot.

Wasn't impressed w/ Racquet Club.  Nice homes, but the streets seem dirty and common areas didn't seem well-maintained (didn't make it into the clubhouse area).

No Walmart of Soriana-Hiper, but there's a Bodega Aurrerea in Joco-Eastside.

34 minutes ago, BigKH said:

We checked out a lot just off Dominguilllo and Vicente Guerrero Norte.  Flat lot, but no view due to some upfront property blockage.  Hopefully you can manage a view from your lot.

Wasn't impressed w/ Racquet Club.  Nice homes, but the streets seem dirty and common areas didn't seem well-maintained (didn't make it into the clubhouse area).

No Walmart of Soriana-Hiper, but there's a Bodega Aurrerea in Joco-Eastside.

With respect you are comparing Apple's and oranges when you look at the RC and the village. Are you a village person or a Fracc person, you will need 100K USD to buy a lot in the RC

Unless you are fortunate to buy a lakefront property there is no lake or mountain view, South of the carrettra. There are some lots/home s on the North side which seems to be developing

Both villages are noisy , but San Juan   is more " prosperous"

4 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I think a major difference between El C and SJC, (for the good or not) is the "influence"  financial/ social support and time and talent   the folks from The Racquet Club  both Mexicans and non Mx,. Also  the good Via Mexico restaurant

Jocotepec has a large market that is open daily but it may not appeal to some people. I was amazed that they had 6 varities of bananas.

Just now, cedros said:

Jocotepec has a large market that is open daily but it may not appeal to some people. I was amazed that they had 6 varities of bananas.

I assume you mean Viva Mexico restaurant.

3 hours ago, BigKH said:

Got a barrel of laughs from the fireworks comment!  Same experience up north in Nuevo Leon where we moved from.

GTK about the broken water-pipe issue.  Though unfortunately the private citizens had to take care of, it seems they did a good job.  Didn't see any noticeable water damage/lines with our recent drive-thru and property visit, but then again not sure when it occurred.

SJC does have more than their share of cohetes and late, loud music..

On 5/12/2022 at 11:30 AM, lakeside7 said:

I think a major difference between El C and SJC, (for the good or not) is the "influence"  financial/ social support and time and talent   the folks from The Racquet Club  both Mexicans and non Mx,. Also  the good Via Mexico restaurant

True a lot of Mexicans are helped.