Chapala.com Webboard

lakeside medical insurance

what about cigna international insurance - does anyone know about this - age requirements - preconditions etc - rates for just major medical coverage - i hate insurance companies and was hoping mexico was free of them - i looked at that 5000 a night hospital - it is affiliated with mayo evidently - perhaps it is one of those boutique hospitals but I can't believe everyone going there as to pay 5000 a night - could that be right?   

Many rely on (some version of IMSS-type) government assistance. Others have/ got private insurance and are now grandfathered in that whereas newbies can't qualify due to age. You ARE in the right place for "nursing home" care at reasonable prices. If you dropped a Medigap policy in the US it *may* be difficult to get back in if you have to return.

1 hour ago, Kiko said:

He told me I had to pay out of pocket for meds and GNP would reimburse me.  It was a time critical situation.  GNP did not reimburse me because the protocol is that the agent is required to order the meds thru GNP.  Someone in his office was in training, like "Fake it until you make it."

Speaking about healthcare costs here, Puerta Hierro del Sur is 5000 USD per night for a room.  Best to have a Plan B.  

I was there 2 nights and had a biker partay and it  didn't cost me anywhere even close to $5000usd,less than $5000mp for the room is my estimate out of a total of $3000cdn for an angioplasty

puerto de hierro hospital 004.jpg

hospital 002.jpg

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

I was there 2 nights and had a biker partay and it  didn't cost me anywhere even close to $5000usd,less than $5000mp for the room is my estimate out of a total of $3000cdn for an angioplasty

I do not know when you were there.  My neighbor was there 3 weeks ago and her bill for 7 nights was 800,000 MXN.  It is not just Puerta Hierro del Sur either.  All of the hospitals have jumped in fees a lot in the past few months.

5 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

I've been with the Mexican insurance company, GNP, for almost 20 years. Fortunately, I've only had to use it for a hip replacement and a foolish crash on a scooter (never again) that caused a break in my color bone and a couple of ribs.  The hip replacement required meeting deductible and small co-pay but the scooter incident was an accident so it had no deductible and was covered 100%. I have been happy with the Agent and the coverage. Currently, my monthly premiums are about $220 USD. I pay for the full year, in advance.

Salud!

Val Jones :)

Val thanks for sharing the info on premium cost, that sound very high and more than I am paying for an Advantage plan in the USA, and I am assuming you are not yet into the "high age range"

... Advantage Plan in the USA....   but of course the subject here is medical insurance that a full time Mexican resident can use IN Mexico! You can't use your Medicare Advantage plan in Mexico EXCEPT for emergencies while vacationing here. 

But you know all of this so why muddy the water....

On 5/11/2022 at 7:19 PM, dottiejane said:

since i have precoonditions = pace maker and breast cancer and am OLD enough (85) to have ridden a dinosaur - - I doubt I could get GNP - what kind of error could it have been to cost 5000?  i keep off of everything with wheels - i just use the two feet I can still walk on - hoping I don't trip but there are no assurances even with them.  d

Hi Dottiejane. You may want to reconsider your move.  Medical treatment may be a fraction of what it costs in the US, but it can be significant. One friend needed an emergency heart valve replacement—$80,000 USD. Another was taken to a well known hospital in Guadalajara—$50,000 USD before he could be released. A dear friend just moved back to the US from her truly wonderful nursing home. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, luisa said:

Hi Dottiejane. You may want to reconsider your move.  Medical treatment may be a fraction of wat it costs in the US, but it can be significant. One friend needed an emergency heart valve replacement—$80,000 USD. Another was taken to a well non hospital in Guadalajara—$50,000 USD before he could be released. A dear friend just moved back to the US from her truly wonderful nursing home. 

Perhaps you can add more substance to your wild stories/numbers and make them more believable?

• Like 1

yes -i rather agree - why would anyone move back to a 5,000 a week nursing home in the states (and those are are substantial figures - ihave checked alot of them) from a "truly wonderful nursing home ' : here - not everyone is a candidate for hospital care after all - plus I have the name of a good vet should I need it - 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well sometimes it is the luck-of-the-draw and other times it's a crapshoot.  If one has good genes and lives/has  a fairly healthy life, then Lakeside... even without insurance.... is a good place to be. BUT if one comes in too late to qualify for private insurance AND hits a large bump in the road then the US w/Medicare wins out. Trying to figure out 'what may happen' along the way, genes not withstanding, is the crapshoot I referred to.  

The exception to this.... at least for now.... is the 'nursing home' and 'home help' situation. Hands down it is better to be lakeside if one is approaching or in this arena.