Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Coping with the weather in Lake Chapala


Recommended Posts

Yes, arrogant.... shouting " Get a Life" shows immaturity.

Less of a complaint but more of a "how to combat" April thru mid- June as I read it...

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

Boy, Ferret, you have life by the a-- if you complain about the weather here !   This is truly one of the best climates in the world.    Go other places and then you might find a real reason to gripe about the weather.

I lived in the DC area for 35 years and we had incredible humidity for 4- 5 months of the year and then get to shovel snow in the winter.   Or, live in Buffalo where you have snow off and on for 6 months of the year.

If you want to really complain move to the southern U.S. or go to Arizona and Texas in late Spring and summer and deal with hurricanes and tornados.

Where have you lived where you have had a better climate or better utility bills for heating or air conditioning ? 

WOW -- find something to really complain about !  GET A LIFE !  

Congratulations...you got 4 SADS for this....I ONLY GOT 2 for also defending our fantastic weather here!!! There are handful of posters here whose fingers are itching to hit the SAD thingy. I have asked a number of times to please explain in plain English what is making them SAD all the time...but never any response!!!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mexijims1 said:

Then choose to live somewhere else !

So according to you, one must absolutely love every aspect of where they have chosen to live, or they should move elsewhere? 

Bet you had an "America- love it or leave it" bumper sticker. 🙄

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For most of us, April, May and into June are hotter than we'd like. Some people actually get air-conditioners for just that reason. Ferret was merely suggesting ways to deal with the heat particularly for newbies. Even a long-times like me found a few good suggestions. 

Jim you might want to look into some anger management techniques or meds - just a friendly suggestion.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

Boy, Ferret, you have life by the a-- if you complain about the weather here !   This is truly one of the best climates in the world.    Go other places and then you might find a real reason to gripe about the weather.

I lived in the DC area for 35 years and we had incredible humidity for 4- 5 months of the year and then get to shovel snow in the winter.   Or, live in Buffalo where you have snow off and on for 6 months of the year.

If you want to really complain move to the southern U.S. or go to Arizona and Texas in late Spring and summer and deal with hurricanes and tornados.

Where have you lived where you have had a better climate or better utility bills for heating or air conditioning ? 

WOW -- find something to really complain about !  GET A LIFE !  

One of the best climates, yes, but not perfect. These days are hot. Even Mexicans complain about these hot days. And Ferret wasn't complaining but giving suggestions how to keep your house cool which is more then helpful especially as lot of houses here don't have good insulation. If you see that as complaining you really must question yourself not other people.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to add: window screens have to be clean inside and outside. They may not look dirty to you but, if you take a damp cloth to them, you may be surprised by the dirt streaks. Clean screens mean more air flow.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same goes for fans. I can't believe how much faster they whip around and how much more air they move after I have cleaned them. New capacitors, if a fan seems not to be running as fast as it was, are cheap and usually easy to replace. I've had the same 350 peso stand up fan for about 8 years now. Usually people throw them out, thinking the motor is bad, but I just replace the capacitor every couple of years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

What an arrogant, rude post directed towards someone you obviously know nothing about. 

Climate preference is subjective. Some people love snowy, cold winters, some people like heat and humidity. Your idea of perfect is not some objective fact.

This guy says: "Go other places and then you might find a real reason to gripe about the weather." …and this is your response??? My response is, using your own words: What an arrogant, rude post directed towards someone you obviously know nothing about. PLEEEEEEZE!!!

 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ednet94 said:

One of the best climates, yes, but not perfect. These days are hot. Even Mexicans complain about these hot days. And Ferret wasn't complaining but giving suggestions how to keep your house cool which is more then helpful especially as lot of houses here don't have good insulation. If you see that as complaining you really must question yourself not other people.

During April, May, and until the rainy season starts, the heat can be  very oppressive here at Lakeside, BUT, my major complaint is the "extreme" UV rating, that indicates a person could burn in as little as 5 minutes from sun exposure. Best climate in the World? Certainly not during these months. Rest of the year, excellent weather.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

During April, May, and until the rainy season starts, the heat can be  very oppressive here at Lakeside, BUT, my major complaint is the "extreme" UV rating, that indicates a person could burn in as little as 5 minutes from sun exposure. Best climate in the World, certainly not during these months. Rest of the year, excellent weather.

Please be aware: THERE IS NO PERFECT CLIMATE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD...but this is close!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to live high up in the Venezuelan Andés when I was younger in the city of San Cristóbal in the state of Táchira. I obviously wouldn't want to live there now with all their problems but I hear that Medellín has similar weather.  I remember the weather being fantastic, never too hot and never too cold.  It rained nearly daily most evenings for 30 mins or so.  The surrounding Andés mountains were green year round.  Their weather was much better than here with low humidity too due to altitude.  The weather stayed the same all here with little variance in temperatures, nearly always springtime weather, much more so than here but without the mildewy damp feeling you get in Boquete Panamá or in Cuenca.  I hear that Cuenca is pretty wet and cold most the time.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually I am interested in visiting Orizaba, Veracruz a good sized town up in the Veracruz highlands where its always cool and green.  You tube videos make Orizaba look rather tempting to visit with few expats to boot.  I would think that things would be dramatically cheaper there too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ednet94 said:

One of the best climates, yes, but not perfect. These days are hot. Even Mexicans complain about these hot days. And Ferret wasn't complaining but giving suggestions how to keep your house cool which is more then helpful especially as lot of houses here don't have good insulation. If you see that as complaining you really must question yourself not other people.

Maybe one of the better (rather than best)climates in the world

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Actually I am interested in visiting Orizaba, Veracruz a good sized town up in the Veracruz highlands where its always cool and green.  You tube videos make Orizaba look rather tempting to visit with few expats to boot.  I would think that things would be dramatically cheaper there too.

Orizaba is on my list to visit. I keep on putting off the drive because its more then a one day drive which makes it difficult with my golden retriever. There is a pet friendly hotel in town so I would be set once arrived. Also, I have been checking real estate prices in the area but they seem quite high, maybe because the town is somewhat close to Mexico city. In any event if you do visit, please send me some feedback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Orizaba gets loads of fog and it is not pleasant in december  january february. 

It is also.more humid than here. . O personally like the weather here better..

I was in Naolinco near Jalapa  in february this year..freezkng cold with snow ,fog and of course no heat..

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bmh said:

Orizaba gets loads of fog and it is not pleasant in december  january february. 

It is also.more humid than here. . O personally like the weather here better..

I was in Naolinco near Jalapa  in february this year..freezkng cold with snow ,fog and of course no heat..

Next year my Golden wants to go to Naolinco in February, its her kind of weather.😊 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Please be aware: THERE IS NO PERFECT CLIMATE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD...but this is close!!! 

Don't forget: close, then closer, and finally closest !!! A ways to go by your admission. :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well with the power issues in the area I am not sure how people think ac units are a good idea.  If everyone turned on the ac during the day do you think the grid here can handle it?  I have solar on top of my house but I am looking at putting a wall battery  system in and leaving the grid. Never use but 65% of what I produce and will never have a outage again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mexicoafterlife said:

Well with the power issues in the area I am not sure how people think ac units are a good idea.  If everyone turned on the ac during the day do you think the grid here can handle it?  I have solar on top of my house but I am looking at putting a wall battery  system in and leaving the grid. Never use but 65% of what I produce and will never have a outage again.

This is a good point.  And I'll wager many use AC at night in bedrooms when their solar panels are not producing, adding to the net load on the already strained local power system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad to hear I'm not the only one worried about this. Getting ups for my fridge, starlink, waterpump and uv lights, than of course for my tv and computer.  Will then buy a generator and run it only to recharge the ups and then turn it off. With a good ups should be 6 to 8 hours between runs of about 1.5 hours to recharge.  That is why I am looking at a wall battery unit for the house would make all of that not needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every household's needs are different. Mine are small and I have a Jackery 240 rechargeable (by car battery, by wall outlet or solar panel) to use when the power's out... and two rechargeable Geek Aire Fans. I plan on buying a portable solar charger for the Jackery. It would be darn near impossible to install a wall battery unit for my house. On the subject of those wall batteries. A friend in Joco had a Generac installed by a company from Guadalajara. The installer did not change the orifice for the alternate fuel from natural gas to propane. Whole unit is currently in Guadalajara seeing if it can be revived. Choose carefully because they ain't cheap. That unit is totally different from the whole house solar battery set up because it does use an alternate fuel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's strange (to me) that a Generac unit sold in Mexico would not come with the propane orifice installed as natural gas is almost non-existent here?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...