Chapala.com Webboard

The Annual Guess Start of The Rainy Season

Having just arrived from Portland where it has been raining since Ppril and is now 59 degrees and where,- when hiking, we still wore 5 layers AND rain pants -I  am now melting in 90 degree heat for HOW LONG? - Iam wodering why did I complain about rain and cool weather - watch what you pray for and  all that.  

40 minutes ago, dottiejane said:

am now melting in 90 degree heat for HOW LONG? -

Quite honestly, it's far better for new residents to arrive and start a new life in Mexico when the weather is at its worst. You then have a realistic picture of whether you really want to relocate permanently year-round, or perhaps choose  another part of Mexico. 

There are those who decide to retire here who have only ever been here for the times of year when the weather is pleasant, sell everything and move, only to find that they can't physically handle the summer.

It's one thing to read about average temperatures at various times of the year, quite another to actually experience it. 

You may adjust, many do, or you might find it unbearable ongoingly.

Lots of Lakesiders put forth attitudes that "You can't survive the summer without AC in the coastal areas" and that they could never live on the coast, but millions of people, like me, do. And I do not have AC, nor want it.

• Like 1

Evidently  - I have done the right thing - moved permanently to Lake chapala at the worst time of the year - and here I shall stay - I spent 10 years in HOT HUMID DIRTY new york city without AC and survived - even  rode the subways - so guess I can survive this - doesn't the blood thin or something - I know when I moved to Denver after years back East I couldn't have a glass of wine without getting dead drunk nor could I breathe right, but ended up spending many healthy years there, so guess this will work out as well.  

I was surprised, living on the coast, that local Mexicans, who have lived here all their lives, are just as bothered by the hot, humid summers as most foreigners. So it isn't just a matter of being acclimatized. However, when one gets used to something, like being too hot, it becomes easier to ignore, rather than a shock to the system. You just resign yourself to feeling somewhat miserable for part of the year. You find ways to mitigate it, like getting your shopping or yard work done in the early morning or evening, like AC, good fans, opening and closing curtains and windows as the sun moves to keep your home as comfortable as possible, jumping in a cold shower several times a day, and only suffer if you have to go out in the heat of the day.

One thing that seems true is that thin people with little to no body fat can handle the heat much easier than those of average or above average weight. I'm super skinny (I'd actually like to gain weight, but have a hard time doing so, as dealing with food and cooking sort of bores me), so I think that's one of the reasons I don't feel as miserable in the heat as others.

Conversely, I hate the cold and much prefer being too hot than too cold.

I have no idea of your body type, but you could consider becoming an anorexic. 😜

I agree. When I am cold, it gets right into my bones, my joints ache, my body is tensed up. Living on the coast year round, my body doesn't hurt at all. That's a good enough trade-off with being hot and sweaty sometimes for me. 

Of course, when I was young, it wasn't like that and although I was born and raised in Kansas City, where the winter and summer temps are extreme, I don't recall either hating or loving the cold or the heat. That sensitivity seems to develop with age.

I recall my kids protesting that just because Mom was cold shouldn't mean they have to put on a sweater. 😄

there is no way i am going to be anorexic since although i hate to cook - i do love to eat - but i have exchanged riced cauliflower for pasta - and fresh fruit for ice cream - so at least I am not carrying around a load of extra weight - one reason i suffer more in the heat is that I don't perspire - runs in the family with a lot of other weird things - so when it is hot I tend to blow up and am prone to sunstroke - at least with the cold, you can wear more clothes - perhaps being super skinny, you can do with a skimpy bikini but age has caused droops and bumps where there shouldn't be any--ergo  I am loathe to expose myself too much even when it is hot.  Life will go on regardless of the temperature I suspect.  

Don't worry when the rains do come the 2nd week or so of June, the weather tends to cool down.  The summers on the lake are actually many people's favorite time of year.  All the mountains turn green, the weather is mostly cool, pleasant and often times overcast with overall fairly low humidity.

• Like 3

Aren't there pills you can take to counter water retention, since you don't perspire? (Maybe they have nasty side effects, I know nothing about them).

I suggest you get in the habit of jumping in a cool or cold shower for a few minutes, several times a day, to cool down your core temp. Ideally before you feel way too hot. 

I'm an avid gardener and in the summer, I will step into my indoor/outdoor shower stall with my gardening clothes on, cooling off and getting the clothing wet, which enables me to continue working for longer without feeling like I'm going to pass out. When the clothes start to dry out or feel steamy, I jump back in the shower again.

As for no longer having the body to prance about in a bikini, learn all the ways to wear a sarong as clothing. I had a friend who lived in sarongs, whether at home or when going out. She had a whole wardrobe of them. Far more comfortable than shorts and shirts.

And as the above poster noted, the month or so just before the rains kick in, and after they stop, are really the hottest. The rain cools things down, at least for awhile, so the heat isn't so relentless.

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I was surprised, living on the coast, that local Mexicans, who have lived here all their lives, are just as bothered by the hot, humid summers as most foreigners. So it isn't just a matter of being acclimatized. However, when one gets used to something, like being too hot, it becomes easier to ignore, rather than a shock to the system. You just resign yourself to feeling somewhat miserable for part of the year. You find ways to mitigate it, like getting your shopping or yard work done in the early morning or evening, like AC, good fans, opening and closing curtains and windows as the sun moves to keep your home as comfortable as possible, jumping in a cold shower several times a day, and only suffer if you have to go out in the heat of the day.

One thing that seems true is that thin people with little to no body fat can handle the heat much easier than those of average or above average weight. I'm super skinny (I'd actually like to gain weight, but have a hard time doing so, as dealing with food and cooking sort of bores me), so I think that's one of the reasons I don't feel as miserable in the heat as others.

Conversely, I hate the cold and much prefer being too hot than too cold.

I have no idea of your body type, but you could consider becoming an anorexic. 😜

Is this the Lakeside web board, or am I in the wrong place??? As far as I know we have one of the best year around climates in the world!!!  Now, I have lived in some HOT, HUMID places and this ain't one of them!!! And what does all if this have to do with a silly little game of guessing when the rains will come?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

And what does all if this have to do with a silly little game of guessing when the rains will come

Why do you find it necessary to butt your nose into a reply I made to someone who is new here and is finding the weather too hot for her liking? Don't you have anything better to do with your time? 

3 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Why do you find it necessary to butt your nose into a reply I made to someone who is new here and is finding the weather too hot for her liking? Don't you have anything better to do with your time? 

This is not the weather here Lakeside you are talking about...are you sure that you are on the right board??? However, ramble on...kind of amusing actually!!!

1 minute ago, gringohombre said:

This is not the weather here Lakeside you are talking about..

As per usual, you missed the point, which was whether people get acclimatized to weather they find too hot, as the person I was replying to said she was finding it too hot for her comfort at Lakeside, and mused as to whether she would get used to it.

As I don't live Lakeside, and therefore do not know any Mexicans there, I used the example of the Mexicans I know, where I live, to point out that it seems people do not necessarily get acclimatized, as the locals who were born and raised here seem to complain about the summer heat as much as the foreigners do. 

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Why do YOU" find it necessary to butt your nose into" every reply pertaining to lakeside posts?  You don't live lakeside, and, per your own words, you don't know any Mexicans here.  Start your own website in PV and lecture to those people.  Or stick to the thread for Mexico General.  Don't YOU" have anything better to do with your time?"

The topic is guessing the start of rainy season.  Let's all move on to that subject.

• Like 1

Oh dear - what did I start by writing what I meant to be a rather joshing email about not finding the "perfect weather" that LC is noted for - at least not in May.  Now it seems we have a conflict between two posters  about all of this - I came hoping I would find folks who truly respect and value each other which I didn't find in Portland..but alas, I guess we bring our true selves with us wherever we go. Seems strange to take after someone you only know through an Anonymous post - but there you are.  as they say, pretend today is the last day of your life and live as you would want it to be if it were.  Peace.

I agree with the 4 seasons but you have to add the qualifiers and timing. Chilly in the mornings for a couple of months, hot for a couple of months during the day, rainy usually at night and great for the majority of the time. ;)

i was here in january and it was perfect - a little chilly - a LITTLe hot - fine - a poor friend  who spent 50 years in san diego had to move to lawrence ks to be withher daugher - according to her, there is only one season - HORRIBLE = but even there, when uk won the nba - i think it was nba - championship, the entire town came out to celebrate regardless of the weather - think of the English -you have to admit Queen Elizabeth even at 96  has a stunning complexion thanks to all that rain and no sunbathing

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

I agree with the 4 seasons but you have to add the qualifiers and timing. Chilly in the mornings for a couple of months, hot for a couple of months during the day, rainy usually at night and great for the majority of the time. ;)

To complicated for me.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dottiejane said:

had to move to lawrence ks to be withher daugher - according to her, there is only one season - HORRIBLE

Yes, I grew up in Kansas, and while the weather didn't bother me at the time, as I was a child, and kids aren't really that sensitive to weather conditions, that part of the country is dripping hot and humid in the summer and freezing in the winter. I do miss the awesome thunderstorms in the spring, though.

Here where I live on the coast, there are 2 seasons- dust and mud.

• 3 weeks later...