Chapala.com Webboard

New restaurant on the pier?

Mainecoons

Argentine ribs?

May be an image of outdoors

Image is here in case it disappears.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=356739699786542&set=gm.3174929679386179

While I agree with the folks who wanted this thing torn down, it has sat vacant for nearly 10 years and they have been unsuccessful in getting rid of it.  So if it is to remain, better to have it providing a useful function and a terrific viewpoint on the lake rather than a derelict and graffiti magnet.

• Like 1

Aw yeah...memories!!! The old Posada and this restaurant (what was the name?). I remember many wonderful lunches...the food not great but the view and ambience wonderful. When I saw this photo and the metal shutter on the left, it rang a bell. I went back through some of my old photos and found this one of the same spot...Poncho and his Burro!!! Not sure how Argentina ribs will fit in but willing to give it a try. 

1700992062_Ponchoandhisburro.JPG

• Like 2

I'll believe it when I see it. I row out of the kayak club which is located right next door. Hard to remember the times we've seen workers doing repairs to the structure. Would be nice if they finally finish. I see they put a dock on the west side of the building, with the water going down not sure if that was a good decision.

I walk past the building Six days a week…..this is a well known Mexican restaurant corporation that has operated Argentinian restaurants for many years in several locations …over the last few days there have been  a minimum of 8 -10 workers with professional construction equip…..obviously corporate money….new floors , walls  roofing are all underway…keeping my fingers crossed…always loved the place .

• Like 3

Great photo… about 10 years ago I was drinking with Boyd Simpson ( RIP ) watching the sun go down on a beautiful fall night at the next counter to Pedro Loco as the Mexicans called him . I believe the bar was called tequila republic but that might have been another one of its reincarnations. Boyd and Pedro knew each other having been around for many years, I believe they were both lawyers in Toronto at one time. By that time Pedro was mostly incommunicado, he had a minder with him who paid his bill and loaded him in the back of a small cart harnessed to vino blanco and away they plodded off into his sunset…..

17 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Great photo… about 10 years ago I was drinking with Boyd Simpson ( RIP ) watching the sun go down on a beautiful fall night at the next counter to Pedro Loco as the Mexicans called him . I believe the bar was called tequila republic but that might have been another one of its reincarnations. Boyd and Pedro knew each other having been around for many years, I believe they were both lawyers in Toronto at one time. By that time Pedro was mostly incommunicado, he had a minder with him who paid his bill and loaded him in the back of a small cart harnessed to vino blanco and away they plodded off into his sunset…..

Yes, you are right...Pedro Loco (RIP) and it WAS the Tequila Republic at this time!!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Can anyone tell me when and how Boyd Simpson died - I noticed the RIP after his name in a post.? I was a friend of Boyd’s from university days and his life in Toronto and visited him a couple of times in Ajijic. Over the years, we lost touch but I have nothing but the fondest memories of him and would like to pay tribute to him somehow. Thank you. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 11:40 PM, gringohombre said:

Aw yeah...memories!!! The old Posada and this restaurant (what was the name?). I remember many wonderful lunches...the food not great but the view and ambience wonderful. When I saw this photo and the metal shutter on the left, it rang a bell. I went back through some of my old photos and found this one of the same spot...Poncho and his Burro!!! Not sure how Argentina ribs will fit in but willing to give it a try. 

1700992062_Ponchoandhisburro.JPG

Pedro and Margarita, his first burro. Miss the old days.

• Like 2

The quaint man with the colourful hat is Peter Morse Moir who died on January 8th., 2013.  Known as one of Lakeside's most colourful characters his passing at the age of 67 was a very sad occurrence.  Peter was born on September 7, 1945, in Middleton, Nova Scotia.  He had a long and successful career as a criminal lawyer and retired to Mexico about 12 years before his death.

A victim of Alzheimer's disease, and often known as "Pedro Loco," he was well known in Ajijic for his flamboyant and unconventional mode of dress and a favourite companion, his donkey.  His image showed up in advertisements and billboards publicizing businesses in the area.  He was a familiar part of many local parades and festivities.  He made friends wherever he went.

Moir was pre-deceased by his twin sister, Elizabeth Susan, and survived by his son, Kyle James Moir, grandchildren Olivia, William and Colt, his sister Janet and brother Jim.  He was married twice, both times to a woman named Patricia.

Many of us remember Peter because he was special and, just perhaps....... because of his success in having developed such a  unique way of dealing with Alzheimer's!

• Like 2