Chapala.com Webboard

Drought

The lake is doing fine. I walk every day across the little foot bridge near my house and along the SAT malecon so I can see all the variations year to year for the last 14. The lake level is at a higher point now at the end of this dry season than normally at this time of year. Also some of this has to do with releasing water from the dams upriver. Not sure about a drought since I thought that last years rainy season was above average.   

READ what the article says. "The Lake" is not the centre of Mexico's universe. And yes, Mexico IS experiencing moderate to severe drought conditions.

And only the uninformed would mention release of water from dams upriver In 1st week of May, since that doesn't happen until late in the season once each one involved  reaches levels which require release to prevent overfill and flooding. 

Seems like you've lived here for one year.... fourteen times..... for the amount of things you don't appear to have learned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

READ what the article says. "The Lake" is not the centre of Mexico's universe. And yes, Mexico IS experiencing moderate to severe drought conditions.

And only the uninformed would mention release of water from dams upriver In 1st week of May, since that doesn't happen until late in the season once each one involved  reaches levels which require release to prevent overfill and flooding. 

Seems like you've lived here for one year.... fourteen times..... for the amount of things you don't appear to have learned.

The title of the article posted here is: Chapala and Jocotepec affected by drought, reports CONAGUA. This section of the board is: Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara. I am relating info from my observations HERE!!! Please get a life!!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cedros said:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/lake-chapala-at-its-highest-level-in-years/

that is not the first time he has shown that he is not very observant. Maybe too busy waching where he puts his feet.

You need to get a life also!!! It would seem to me that a person posting a link to an article on current climate conditions would check it's publication date!!! Who is observant???

6 hours ago, Natasha said:

READ what the article says. "The Lake" is not the centre of Mexico's universe.

The climate change deniers find it necessary to jump in and deny, based on some personal anecdotal observation. Denial is what they're into, not reading or absorbing information. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

The climate change deniers find it necessary to jump in and deny, based on some personal anecdotal observation. Denial is what they're into, not reading or absorbing information. 

WHHHHHHHHAT!!!

I think that I will have to report you to “Big Sister” of the new DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH!!! Neither I nor anyone else here even mentioned climate change!!! You “New Green Dealers” try to find anything to support and promote insane, unnecessary and stupid policies.

How about all the poor folks El Norte who are paying double to fill their gas tanks, heat and cool their homes??? Meanwhile the dictators of Russia, Venezuela and Iran are laughing all the way to the bank!!! And yes...CLIMATE CHANGES!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, mudgirl said:

You continue to be confused about people who question WHY climate is changing and WHAT anyone can do about it given the most populous nations on earth continue to pollute at will, buy cars by the millions and build coal fired plants by the dozen.

Crippling the economies of the cleanest nations in favor of the dirtiest is hardly a solution.

No one denies climate changes.  Geological history proves that beyond the shadow of a doubt.  Climate change in the past has always created extremes of drought and flood.  For example, the former caused the ancestors of the Aztecs to move south and eventually to the Mexico City area far, far before there were SUVs or power plants.  Ditto for the Sahara desert that didn't use to be a desert at all.

Both changes and many more were the direct result of climate change.

Please try and grasp the difference between denying the indisputable fact climate changes with disagreement over the causes or solutions.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cedros said:

2018 was relatively recent

Not recent in terms of the lake situation. In my 14 years full time and travels to the area for many years before that (mostly for business in the Tonala area with visits here), I have seen drastic changes even year over year. I have seen the lake almost disappear with the shoreline going out miles, and also flooding  to the extent of the pier covered to a depth of water and the  train station and surrounding area completely flooded. I am sure that this is historic, and nothing to do with "global warming"!!!

2 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

And you are "sure" based on what? Your scientific training, degrees, and research or your man-made cllimate-change denial stance?

The NUN has spoken...I am hiding my knuckles!!! Read my post and then read a history of this lake going back hundreds if not thousands of years and you might learn something!!!

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Please try and grasp the difference between denying the indisputable fact climate changes with disagreement over the causes or solutions.

Stop playing dumb just so you can act like you're smart and superior. No one, including me, when mentioning climate-change deniers, means the deniers are saying the climate has never changed. Obviously we are talking about man-made climate change, which it is quite apparent is a scientifically measurable thing. 

And yes, of course it is a huge problem with extremely difficult solutions. But all one has to do is look at the data on how quickly and how much the air pollution levels went down during Covid lockdowns to understand that humans reducing their emissions is not some insurmountable problem. It just takes a willingness for humanity to cooperate. A seemingly tall order these days.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Yep.  This graph shows you what is going on.  Too damn many people with too much stuff.  How do you propose to fix th

Well, doing nothing like 'we' have been doesn't  seem like a very good idea.  Quite frankly I'm just glad I was born in the middle of the last century and not 'lately'.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RickS said:

Well, doing nothing like 'we' have been doesn't  seem like a very good idea.  Quite frankly I'm just glad I was born in the middle of the last century and not 'lately'.

Maybe we should start with the worse offenders, like China, Mexico, etc. THAT might make an impression.