Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Traffic


Recommended Posts

For some unknown reason traffic was great today - Weds.

Around 10:30 AM I sailed past the five lights at Superlake and Walmart, drove through La Floresta and was only stopped briefly at the Tianguis.

I shoulda bought a lottery ticket!

SunFan

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some time ago I saw a news story that said auto registrations in Jalisco have tripled, or something along that order.  

It isn't going to get better particularly since the local government is working so hard to tie it up in knots.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also Rick, the old line between high season and low is getting somewhat blurred the last few years with the temporary but long visits by Sunbirds from Texas, Louisiana, Arizona, NM, Florida, etc. visiting for our cooler weather during onset of rainy season mid June.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have said for about the past 5 or 6 yrs that you can hardly tell when the snowbirds arrive or leave because traffic is permanently bad now that Ajijic has been found by babyboomers from the north.

It is not about the local governments tying things in knots, as Mainecoons claims.  IT is the shear number or volume of traffic and people now living in the Lakeside area.  You cannot blame the government when we have no real room for infrastructure improvement when the carretera is between the lake and the mountains.  Tough situation.

I feel sorry for many of the poor Mexicans who cannot afford the price of gasoline. We gringos are to blame for the traffic gridlock.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that it would be interesting if a 'count by nationality' could be done. Just for fun.

What percentage of drivers on the carretera on a given non-weekend day are gringos and what percentage are not. Then count on Saturday and Sunday.... for the obvious reason.  Might be a surprising count on the weekday. 

I agree with mexijims1... only so many cars can run down one 2-lane road before it comes to a virtual standstill. And that number of cars here reached a breaking point several years ago. Can our version of Hoy No Circula be far away?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hoy No Circula doesn't work. People just got another car with a different license plate. The fact that they can is just another example of the growing middle class in Mexico coupled with the ability to purchase vehicles on credit. I have found that the traffic moves along the best when the majority of the lights are flashing yellow.  Exception for the needed red lights and arrows at the Walmart intersection. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget Rick...... the construction BOOM between west Ajijic and San Juan Cosala has meant things will never be the same unless a magic fairy appears and makes a new minimum 4-lane road.   And don't hold your breath on that one either.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When we first moved here in 2005 the family that works for me  had four kids and one vehicle.  Now all the kids are grown and have kids of their own.  The over all group has around 6 vehicles and 2 motos.  That story is replicated in the community and explains a lot of the increased traffic.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

When we first moved here in 2005 the family that works for me  had four kids and one vehicle.  Now all the kids are grown and have kids of their own.  The over all group has around 6 vehicles and 2 motos.  That story is replicated in the community and explains a lot of the increased traffic.

Now that is realism! It boggles my mind how many ferners here believe their insignificant #'s affect things like this around here.-SNORK!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Now that is realism! It boggles my mind how many ferners here believe their insignificant #'s affect things like this around here.-SNORK!

I agree. Many foreigners I speak to have an inflated opinion of how much impact and significance they have in Mexico. Keep motoring and keep your head down..

SunFan

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Foreigners definitely increase traffic 

jajajajajajaja. Have you deluded yourself into thinking that a smattering of ferners driving around here are more responsible for increase in traffic than Mexicans who outnumber you in THEIR  country by zillions. That's like saying Mexicans are responsible for mucho mas traffic in California.-SNORK!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Foreigners definitely increase traffic but also increase the economy. Many restaurants benefit from foreigners and other businesses by foreigners supporting them. 

Vehicles increase traffic no matter who is driving them.  Businesses benefit from anyone that supports them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

I have said for about the past 5 or 6 yrs that you can hardly tell when the snowbirds arrive or leave because traffic is permanently bad now that Ajijic has been found by babyboomers from the north.

It is not about the local governments tying things in knots, as Mainecoons claims.  IT is the shear number or volume of traffic and people now living in the Lakeside area.  You cannot blame the government when we have no real room for infrastructure improvement when the carretera is between the lake and the mountains.  Tough situation.

I feel sorry for many of the poor Mexicans who cannot afford the price of gasoline. We gringos are to blame for the traffic gridlock.

Sit at an intersection for a while & check who is driving the cars.. Easy to see 90% are Mexicans driving those cars in heavy traffic.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any thoughts if most people are passing through the town, live here or visiting??

What is the Lakeside inventory of the homes for rent. Have rents increased, have home sales increased? I was told by a realtor the the average price of homes sold has increased, which I think means more expensive homes are/have sold...Any realtors out there to comment???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...