Chapala.com Webboard

Tough time for Monarch's

rafterbr

The Monarch butterflies have started their trek North and its going to be a tough one.  When they reach Oklahoma and other southern states, they stop to lay their eggs.  A single Monarch will lay one egg on a milkweed plant and may lay over a hundred eggs on different milkweeds.  This year it has been a cold spring and milkweeds are not growing.  When a Monarch cannot find another milkweed for an egg,  it will go back and lay another egg on the same milkweed.  This milkweed may accumulate 20 or more eggs from the same monarch.  When they hatch there is not enough milkweed to sustain them.  Many will die and predators will eat many.  From the time it hatches until it becomes a butterfly is usually 4 or 5 days.  Without enough food it may take 20 days and few will survive this length of time.   My tribe the Chickasaws and other civic groups have planted milkweed gardens for them but this cold weather has really stunted their growth.  Cows will not eat milkweeds and prior to my knowledge of their relationship with the Monarchs, I eliminated all of them from my pastures.  Now I am thinking of seeding some back. With all of their problems, I don't know how much longer Monarchs will be around for us to enjoy.

• Like 1

...........................................Deleted slightly political portion of this interesting post.  The evil MOD5..................................................................

I sincerely hope that the beautiful Monarch butterflies survive this normal climate change that this amazing planet has been going through for 3 billion+ years!!!

Interesting. I have milkweed in the garden here because I ask the gardner  not to pull them out as they are considered weeds and I get monarch butterflies, first the green yellow black caterpillow and then the butterflies.., they are wonderful.This yea I have less milkweed as well..I was blaming the gardner but maybe it is the weather..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

...........................................Deleted slightly political portion of this interesting post.  The evil MOD5..................................................................

I sincerely hope that the beautiful Monarch butterflies survive this normal climate change that this amazing planet has been going through for 3 billion+ years!!!

I guess that most here have an idea of what I said. Maybe Elon Musk will buy this platform!!!

11 hours ago, bmh said:

Interesting. I have milkweed in the garden here because I ask the gardner  not to pull them out as they are considered weeds and I get monarch butterflies, first the green yellow black caterpillow and then the butterflies.., they are wonderful.This yea I have less milkweed as well..I was blaming the gardner but maybe it is the weather..

We have milkweed and monarchs also and have noted the same.  But not unusually cold here.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:30 AM, Mainecoons said:

We have milkweed and monarchs also and have noted the same.  But not unusually cold here.

Don't fret about the Monarcs--they will be here when we are long gone--we are nothing in terms of the universe--OH;  the arrogance of man---!!  HA

• Like 1