Chapala.com Webboard

Mail Service Question

Trying to compare handymail with ishop -  It appears that ishop allows more than one user for an address, are there any other significant differences?

Note - Handymail says magazines can be sent to their US address and will be picked up and delivered to their lakeside address - assume Ishop does the same.

Any significant differences?  besides price

Handy mail charges more for letters going to the US... However the difference in prices for a box is something else. We just returned to Ajijic and stopped at Imail and asked the cost of a box $425 a year... We had used Handy Mail for four years previously and they only want $265 USD a year... That was a no brainer... If we need to send a letter which is infrequent we use Imail...Handy mail accepts packages and notifies patrons via email when mail arrives...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There is a third option, Sol Y Luna which is located in Ajijic, 1/2 a block south of Scallions Restaurant. I have used them for years, because of the convenience of their location and where I often go for breakfast, Scallions.  Sorry, I do not remember what they charge, but it is much less than Ishop.

• Like 1

I think before rvanparys just compares the total cost of an Ishop box  with a Handy Mail box, you need to compare what the cost can be with partners!  For example, we have 5 partners in our Ishop box (for a medium box, which was $563/ yr with one month free if you pay before a certain date).   Divide that cost by 5 and it becomes a lot less than the cost of a Handy Mail box.  So, you need to look at the whole picture -- not just the total price of the box when comparing.   That is what I would call a "no brainer!"

My biggest complaint at Ishop is the extra add-ons if you have partners getting a lot of magazines, where they add on for "extra weight"!.

In addition, on the cost of mailing a letter from here to the US, I have always found Handy Mail to be cheaper than Ishop.  Although I am not certain of the exact cost for each currently, the last 10 yrs has always been cheaper to mail to the US from Handy Mail.   

On Pete's point, I would like to know what the costs are for Sol y Luna compared to Ishop and Handy mail.  Once again, the key in the comparison is whether or not you can share a box at Sol Y Luna? 

Thanks.

• Like 1

I started by sharing a box at IShop when I moved here full time 14 years ago (my anniversary is this month!). About 3 years later the primary boxholder moved back El Norte and I took over the box. This is a medium box and the rent is US$384 a year (with a 2 month bonus). Over all the years since I have had folks sharing the box and always at the maximum of 4. I have had no problem finding replacements at US$80 per year. Only once was there an "overweight" charge so you have to make sure that your box partners are not receiving a lot of magazines or other heavy mail. I have a business so have a little volume of outgoing UPS and Estafeta packages (no charge) and also some incoming packages, both direct from US (no charge) and through Laredo (small charge). I also get some packages from the artists I work with here in México and am not charged for these. I cannot give enough credit to Maria (the best!), Oscar and Cristian for thier great work and helping me throughout all these years. I would highly recommend them, and the best is they are located just a short distance from me in SAT, just East of Super Lake!!!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mexijims1 said:

Hmmm --Gringohombre, I wonder why we are being charged $563 a year for a medium box and you are only being charged $384 a year for your medium box.

Any thoughts ?  Thanks.   

Maybe it is called a small small box...it is what most of the boxes there are. Anyway they allow 4 people to share it. I will check and report back.

On 4/23/2022 at 4:31 PM, mexijims1 said:

Thanks !  

Update!!! OK, my IShop box is called small although it is big enough for the maximum of 4 people sharing it...if they collect every week or so.  I was quoting an old rate but in fact it is now US$420 (with 2 month bonus) a year with all the other benefits I mentioned before. As the boxholder, I have been lucky since my box mates only get regular mail volume with minimum magazines, catalogues, etc. that could trigger extra "overweight" fees. All in all I would give them an A+!!!