Chapala.com Webboard

Information about dengue fever in Chapala (gobernment advisory webpage) and minor (non-fever) dengue cases

I just noticed Jalisco made some advisories about Dengue mosquitoes not long ago:
https://ssj.jalisco.gob.mx/prensa/noticia/10313

Also some of the Ajijic/Chapala health people have been knocking on doors on advising about Dengue (and treatments, such as those dissolvable bags that you put in your cistern to kill the dengue-infected mosquito larvae).  We haven't been knocked on but we might not have been around at the time.

I only post this because I seem to occasionally get a minor rash that looks exactly like https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179471#gallery-open -- something like 10 bumps or so.  And they say 75% of dengue patients don't even get a fever -- and sometimes only a few bumps, like around the arms, legs or ankles.

Does anyone know of a dermatologist that can diagnose my itchier-than-usual mosquito bumps?   
I don't have an accompanying fever, but they are annoyingly itchier than usual for mosquito bumps.

I'm not even sure if it is dengue or not, but the bites feel redder and itcher than usual.  I'm definitely no emergency case, but I want to be safe than sorry.

• GDouglas changed the title to Information about dengue fever in Chapala (gobernment advisory webpage) and minor (non-fever) dengue cases

I have had dengue and know plenty of other people who have, too. I had no fever and no rash. So yes, it can manifest differently in different people.

But you would know if you had dengue, I can assure you. It feels like you got run over by a truck- like every bone in your body is broken. And almost always accompanied by a dull headache right behind your eyes.

There are hundreds of insects that bite and cause itchiness and hundreds of things that can cause a rash. Thinking you might have dengue because you have itchy bites is rather strange.

Just to be clear, upwards of 80% of Dengue cases are mild or asymptomatic (no symptoms at all). This data was verified in numerous international studies including testing blood from donors and asking them if they ever felt sick/thought they had Dengue fever.

Also, there are four strains of Dengue fever, so you can catch Dengue four different times.

Here's a great link:

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/dengue-and-severe-dengue

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I have had dengue and know plenty of other people who have, too. I had no fever and no rash. So yes, it can manifest differently in different people.

But you would know if you had dengue, I can assure you. It feels like you got run over by a truck- like every bone in your body is broken. And almost always accompanied by a dull headache right behind your eyes.

There are hundreds of insects that bite and cause itchiness and hundreds of things that can cause a rash. Thinking you might have dengue because you have itchy bites is rather strange.

What are people suppose to think--especially when living in  bug infested tropics?

There is nothing about being strange to err on the side of caution and have ones complaints checked out--

We had a visit this week,  with health person stating a case had been diagnosed 3 blocks from our house. Assured her we take all precautions (no standing water, screens etc.)  Dengue is not to be fooled with. Don't forget.... last year long-time resident Heather Altmire (44 years old) DIED from the hemorrhagic form. 

I had dengue a few years ago. No rash or bumps just a lab test. I was tired and achy for a week. A Mexican fiend moved in for a week to help me with garden up keep. I have since been vaccinated against it.

Lest anyone rush out to get a dengue vaccine-

"As of 2021, one version is commercially available, known as CYD-TDV, and sold under the brand name Dengvaxia.[3] The vaccine is only recommended in those who have previously had dengue fever or populations in which most people have been previously infected.[3] The value of the vaccine is limited by the fact that it may increase the risk of severe dengue in those who have not previously been infected."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, artsnob said:

I have had Dengue two years ago, My doctor recommended I do not get vaccine, because some senior people have got really sick from it, And I am 82 so will take his advise He told me to use Off on exposed skin, morning after shower and before going to bed, I do not have a mosquito probled in my new Casa

4 hours ago, artsnob said:

He told me to use Off on exposed skin, morning after shower and before going to bed

I wouldn't consider going to bed covered in insecticide to be a very healthy idea, regardless of whether a doctor recommended it. Better to get a mosquito net if you're concerned about getting bitten during the night. The type of mosquitoes which carry dengue actually bite during the day, not at night. the ones that are out at dawn and dusk mostly.

On 4/18/2022 at 11:15 PM, mudgirl said:

I wouldn't consider going to bed covered in insecticide to be a very healthy idea, regardless of whether a doctor recommended it. Better to get a mosquito net if you're concerned about getting bitten during the night. The type of mosquitoes which carry dengue actually bite during the day, not at night. the ones that are out at dawn and dusk mostly.

Mosquito traps like Dynatrap work much better than repellant or nets.