Chapala.com Webboard

I need a Dietician

I'd suggest you contact Rosario Bedoya Guerrero, a registered Clinical Nutritionist.  Her cell number is 331 928 3438 and has an office - Nutrycell - in the street level at the east end of the old Hole-in-One restaurant (4th Sentido), just west of the new San Antonio Hospital.

• Like 1

Fred they are pretty useless because their have changes to Mexican diets and I do not cook  or eat a Mexican diet..  I went to rwo differnt dietician, useless, At the end I asked them all the rules for kidney diet and I made my own recipes and diet.  then I was saved by DAVITA site.. go there, they have great meal planners with recopes that are good and you do not feel you are on that extremely restricted diet.  After several months I go the hang of it and did not need them anymore but they are great for diabetes. people on dialyses and kidney desease patients. If you have kidney desease, the diet is more restricted that if you are   on dialisis..

I am going to sell 2 bobes of cetolan at half price as my husband does not need them anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks....I have developed kidney disease and want to eat as healthy as I can.....I have never shied away from some foods that I know are no longer welcome by my kidney. I have been told that my Met-Life policy will assist me with diet advice but my trust in Met-Life is very low so I was looking for someone that knew what they were doing.

My husband maintin his kidnery function for 6 years on that diet.

I think the secret to a good diet is to find one tthat you can follow and enjoy otherwaise you are doom to failure.  You have to look at what you can eat rather than all the nos and on the kidney diet there is a huge number of no that at first make no sense.. Also if you crave something eat it once in a great while in a small quantity and you will do away with the craving and it will not hurt you.

The problem with met life is that they will give you a Mexican diet and change a Mexican diet and in our case we mostly ate Asian food so they were adding egg white to meke up for the copious amount of eggs used for breakfast when we did not eat eggs to start with so it was a total waste of mney and time.

As someone who did it for 6 years for mmy husband who was tested every month I say forget the dietician. It is good that they give you an overview, determinesd how much of each component you need  and advise you according to the resulsts of the test but as far as ddesigning a diet it is a waste of time and money, The first one did a Mexican food type of diet that my husband did for a month and gave up, the recipes were awful. THen we went to annother Mexican doing pseudo asian stuff another waster of tim. A diet is only good if you can live with it otherwise it is a waste of time. Then I got all the rules and designed my owned recipes modifying the ones we liked but it is a huge amount of work then we found DAVITA and that saved the day. To do that you have to be really commited and know how to cook as well but without something my enjoy would enjoy I knew he would fall of the diet so I really put lots and lots of effort into it and it worked. Amonth agao the doctor could not believe the analysis and that was 6 years later so it can be done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, sm1mex said:

As a medical professional and teaching many disease related diets a dietician is the way to go here. 

I don't think bmh is thumbing a nose at you, but the reality is that it's hard to find a nutritionist for CKD. We're sort of stumbling in the dark with it, too, and the Davita site has been a godsend. The hubster is having a hard time with the blandness of the diet and the restrictions, so anything that makes the boring a little more palatable is much appreciated. Of course, it doesn't help that neither of us is even average in the kitchen, so that's another glitch...

No I am notthumbing my nose at anyone but for someone who loved to eat like my husnad did to go to a ckd diet it is death. 

iDavita has some nice dishes and is basically written by us dieticians so at least it gas a tie to food people eat and like in the US  and you can doctor it with herbs and spices..

A diet has to be palatable if you want any hope to follow it for years.

I cook French, Arabic and Asian food  going way back and go to a Mexican CKD diet is awful and good luck staying on it. Davita inspired me and we made tasty food thanks to them so my husband stuck to thediet.fof years.

• Thanks 1

Actually, we saw 3 doctors about the ckd and doctors disagree.. the older doctor put my husband on cetolan and the young doctor pooped the idea.. and the other one said take it it will not hurt but I do not believe it helps.. so I guess you have to go to your monthly tests and moniter you kidney function very closely.

Mexicans are like the french they eat too many tortilla and we eat too much bread and it is difficult to do without them..as they are part of the way we eat. Mexicans eat with their hands and tortillas are like forks and knives and bread is for soaking up coffee , sauces. cheese etc , it is difficult to eat without them..

We all have bad bad habits at this point of that is what people enjoy let them enjoy it, they will die from it but we all are going to die so do what you enjoy and be it.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I worked with a nice man who was taking care of his wife.. He was the director of the wines for CHateau Lafite  which was a stressful job as well. His love in life was to get together with friends once a month and have a great dinner. He had a heart condition and his doctor told him that he had to cut out wine and rich food and his dinners.. he told me I live for these dinners.. so I ll die .. but I ll die doing something I love and sure enough he died a couple of years later of a heart attack.. My grand father had the same reaction and same thing happened.. Not evryone want to have a miserable life so they can live a little longer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

I had a dietitian that specialized in nephrology patients. She told me I could eat all the bagels I wanted, my weight has never been the same since. So much for "professional"  advice.

Not to mention that put two together in a room and you get two different opinions. It's truly a hard road to navigate.

• Thanks 1

I think balance is the key if you eat too much of one thing it will screw you up eventually. For the kidneys it is good to know the rules and follow them very strictly for a year but then you get the hang of it and then you can see that if you are craving of one item have it once in moderation and the analysis will not vary much..That is what I found out with my husband. I guess people vary but if you get tested on a regular basis you soon see what works and what does not.

• Like 3

I want to come back on this topic:

melon is okay on one site and is forbidden on another.....a vegetable omelette is okay on one site and on another says...do not eat more than one egg every few days.....so I sure hope I get it right. My wife is no longer able to help in the kitchen so that leaves just me to stumble along....I do appreciate the comments as it makes me believe I am not alone.

You're not alone, Fred. My eyes cross every time I try to research a particular food item. DIfferent sites say different things...and these are reputable sites (ie Mayo Clinic). I've also ordered several renal diet books and --surprise! -- they also contradict each other. The other problem is that there is so much hidden crap in most food. You can read the label and decide whether the sodium is low (usually isn't if it's a packaged item), but most labels don't list the potassium...so out comes the cell phone. I try to keep things as natural/basic as possible but you need something that feels like a treat to make it bearable....and on and on. 

Start out with the Davita site and find things that you enjoy and slowly make adjustments as you grow more comfortable. Hubs has taken the attitude that he'll follow the restrictive diet but if he wants a treat every now and then, he's going to have it. His attitude is that he's 75 and he's going to go from something, so why be miserable? He has regular blood work and appointments with the nephrologist, so we're honestly just winging it to find what works. 

I know the above isn't really much of a help or comfort, but just know that you're not stumbling alone.

• Like 1