Chapala.com Webboard

Cockroach bite

I had the same experience recently in my house with a large bee that one of my dogs was trying to catch. I got a kitchen towel and caught the bee to take it outside but it stung me through the towel. I immediately got the Raid can out and blasted it. So much for trying to kind to insects!!! The sting went away in about an hour and the bee went into the trash can!!!

Are you sure it was a palmeto bug? I never had one bite me..it is strange.. In Alabama they would sometimes fly in my hair and i would pull.them.oout so i grabbed tjem.. 

Put vinegar or lime on it and some hydrocortison sd you shoulf be ok.

11 hours ago, fishcake said:

Just going to bed & large (palmetto) cochroach on my screen. I picked it off to toss outside & it bit/ stung me ... wow it hurts.  Never had this happen before & I am not afraid of bugs.

Any advise re bite?????

Weren't wearing your glasses were you. Be[e] more careful next time.

13 hours ago, fishcake said:

Just going to bed & large (palmetto) cochroach on my screen. I picked it off to toss outside & it bit/ stung me ... wow it hurts.  Never had this happen before & I am not afraid of bugs.

Any advise re bite?????

It was not a roach.

38 minutes ago, fishcake said:

Yes Jim.  Definitely a large cockroach.  I have had them around me all my life.  In Fl we called them Palmetto bugs.  Never had one bite me though.

What happens if a palmetto bug bites you?

Image result for can palmetto bugs bite you

Although they may seem scary, palmetto bugs do not pose an immediate danger. They rarely ever bite people. Palmetto bug bites are not serious or painful, but may leave a small, red mark. These pests can contaminate your food with bacteria such as salmonella because of their tendency to hide in unsanitary areas.

Always remember fish, ICE is your best friend for ANY bite(after you have washed it with soap and water to get rid of the bacteria) and the quicker you get it on the faster it works to help you.

22 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:
What happens if a palmetto bug bites you?

Image result for can palmetto bugs bite you

Although they may seem scary, palmetto bugs do not pose an immediate danger. They rarely ever bite people. Palmetto bug bites are not serious or painful, but may leave a small, red mark. These pests can contaminate your food with bacteria such as salmonella because of their tendency to hide in unsanitary areas.

Always remember fish, ICE is your best friend for ANY bite(after you have washed it with soap and water to get rid of the bacteria) and the quicker you get it on the faster it works to help you.

Apparently the author has never been bitten.  Do not believe everything you read Jim.  Even Mr Google makes mistakes

Yeah I have been googling it too.  Apparently they don't have strong enough jaws to penetrate human skin, but they can nibble on you when you are asleep.  When they nibble on you they generally are looking for places where you may have food crumbs or residues like around your mouth, hands and fingers.  But either way its still gross so always remember to wash your face and hands before going to bed at night guys.

4 hours ago, fishcake said:

Apparently the author has never been bitten.  Do not believe everything you read Jim.  Even Mr Google makes mistakes

??? So you think anyone who writes an article on something has to have experienced that thing themselves? What was not believable in the article?

When I was in early teens we uses to trap roaches overnight behind the grocery; a single night would yield a couple of dozen large ones. They were absolutely the best bait for bream a d crappie would sometimes bite as well. They seemed to out perform crickets which were just becoming commercially available. I put thousands on a small hooks and never got a bite. Of course my hands were quite a bit tougher in those days.

Sometimes I get what I call mystery bites in the night. I know they're not mosquitos because those bites only last 5 minutes on me thanks to immunity and the night bites last a day or 2 with a small red welt.. I thought they were spider bites but thanks to this thread,I now suspect roaches.

• 2 weeks later...