Chapala.com Webboard

Guadalajara Dollar Store?

CorinneS

Hi all! First post here and on our way to our new home on the south beach of Lake Chapala. We’re staying the first night in Guadalajara to go hit up Costco & Home Depot but thought maybe first stop should be the Dollar Store for any goods that can be picked up there, for less. 
On another thought, I don’t know who remembers Ross or Burlington Coat Factory, but what’s the closest store to those, either Lakeside or in Guadalajara? 
Not only are we new, but the house we are buying needs pretty much everything. (Thinking about it makes me feel a little overwhelmed at the moment😬)

The closet thing to a dollar store in Guadalajara is Waldo's. Probably a waste of time for your needs.  In Walmart Lakeside on the north shore there is a small shop at the entrance that might be considered a dollar store.  On the south shore of the lake there is nothing but very small stores  in San Luis Soyatlan

CorinneS - take a deep breath, go through your new home mentally for what you think you are going to need.  Make a list.  My 2 centavos... Buy as much as you can NOB.  Better selection and better quality for just about everything you will need for your home. If you buy items NOB, just take them out of the packages for crossing the border so they don't look new.  You can bring household items with no problem, especially since you are moving here.   As far as Ross and Burlington Coat Factory? - HeeHaw. Nothing like that here.

You are going to find that Walmart and Costco in MX have the same names as NOB but much different products and prices. 

• Like 1

There is also the Regalo store across from the Ajijic plaza which many refer to as the dollar store. Has more variety than the small shop by Walmart. Also, this is Mexico so everyone needs to realize that everything that is wanted may not be available. I do not know if there is anything comparable to Burlington around here.There is also a Coppel department store in Chapala which may fill some of your needs.

"If you buy items NOB, just take them out of the packages for crossing the border so they don't look new. " Don't forget to remove all price tags, lol.