Chapala.com Webboard

Duties and taxes on prescription eyeglasses shipped from U.S.

My new progressive lens from a local store haven’t worked well, so looking at ordering from U.S.-based online stores Zenni Optical or eyebuydirect.com. Does Mexico charge import duties & taxes on prescription eyeglasses shipped from the U.S.? And do these online stores add import duties & taxes, or do I pay to the shipper?

I realize Costco in Guadalajara is a recommended option for eyeglasses, but I don’t have Costco membership.

https://scc41.org/zenni-optical-ship-to-mexico/#:~:text=You can buy any product,they'll send it out.

You can buy any product from Zenni Optical, or any other US-based store for that matter, and have it shipped to your MyUS.com US-based address. MyUS will accept the order on your behalf. Once you're ready for it to be shipped to Mexico, they'll send it out.

You may also what to check with iShop and check out their rates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InChapala1 said:

My new progressive lens from a local store haven’t worked well,

Have you talked with the local store about it and had them check them, and also, how long has it been?    New progressives can take up to 2 weeks for the eyes & brain to adjust to them, and often can feel like they are not made correctly until then.      

• Like 1

Just did this in U.S. Sent my frames to VisionWorks in Laredo,  TX and they accepted my rx in Spanish.  I have them deliver my glasses to Ishop's Laredo address with my address on the box for lakeside.  It took two weeks for package to arrive at Ishop here and they charged me 300 pesos for the delivery.  

Lived in MX for 23 plus years and have purchased several pair of progressive lens, none have been correct so I don't even try anymore. 

• Like 1

The OP's statement local store brings up a question. Was it an Ophthalmologist or a optometrist?   Eyes need to be check by an oftalmólogo for problems. Usually there will be fewer problems with the actual prescription and production of the lenses when using an actual DR. de Oftalmología

I have had many progressive lenses done in Mexico and never had a problem. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great responses.

6 hours ago, Go Solar said:

Have you talked with the local store about it and had them check them, and also, how long has it been? ...

Local store changed the bad lens once. I'll try for another week before going for an order from another store (online or otherwise).

5 hours ago, ibarra said:

Just did this in U.S. Sent my frames to VisionWorks in Laredo,  TX ...

Wasn't aware of this option. Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Costco membership is not required to purchase eye wear. Just pick up a free one day pass at their checkout counter and you are good for one day of shopping. 

Didn't realize this. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

... Was it an Ophthalmologist or a optometrist?  ...

Eye exam was by an Oftalmología, then went to an optometrist to order the glasses. That could have been my error :(

I just sent my Rx and a new set of frames with plastic "demo" lenses off to a lens company in the USA. I wear trifocals. I CANNOT wear progressives. This lab in the US does make lined trifocals. Sent it off Tuesday at FedEx. DHL refused to take them as they were "medical " equipment. Remember, these frames have plastic lenses with no Rx, just what you see when you try on a pair in the shop. 

Yesterday I received a call from Customs in the USA. They said I needed some sort of certificate of attestation, a certificate stating the origin of the frames, and wanted to know the reason I was sending them there. Unfortunately, the call dropped and I wasn't able to reconnect.

I went to FedEx this morning to try and clear things up. She looked in the computer and it shows the frames are in Memphis. I have no idea what Customs wants or why. Ajijic FedEx will contact the Memphis FedEx office on Monday to see what is going on.

I wonder what they think I am sending new frames, a Rx, instructions and a note to a lens making lab for ? Seems pretty obvious to me !

Now I just hope I do not lose the new frames to the black hole of customs. 

Be careful.