Chapala.com Webboard

Apology in advance.

I haven't visited everyplace local to Ajijic/Chapala, and prefer not to, so I am asking for personal experiences here. I can't Google what you know.

The prices of specialized dog food for a medical condition are, on MercadoLibra, hard to believe.

Am I, generally speaking, from your personal experience, better off buying locally or go w/M.L?

Unless you really thrive on attention, please send your nasty/sarcastic comments to me in PM. I promise t read them. What I am asking for here is personal experiences. This is, from what I understand, one of the reasons for these boards.

Thanks.

Have your preferred Vet give you three brand choices for the medical condition that your dog has. Then go google and find the most economically priced one that suits you and your pet OR phone around locally to find the same thing. Kidney problems means you need a food with limited protein. I would check with Lakeside Friends of the Animals since they will bring in a special food for your dog. Whatever works best for the dog.

• Like 1

Yes specialty foods (dry and canned) have gone up astronomically.  I have one cat on Royal Canin special canned so know of which I speak. Sometimes Lakeside Friends is the best price. (They already stock Hill's and Royal Canin.... not necessarily all options that are sold.  But kidney diets are pretty common so guessing they'll have those.) Other times it's Mercado Libre...... where you have to check ALL the listings for the specific product because sometimes ONE merchant will be offering a better price than the rest.   There are NO cheap options for these products unfortunately.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:12 AM, Eric Blair said:

I haven't visited everyplace local to Ajijic/Chapala, and prefer not to, so I am asking for personal experiences here. I can't Google what you know.

The prices of specialized dog food for a medical condition are, on MercadoLibra, hard to believe.

Am I, generally speaking, from your personal experience, better off buying locally or go w/M.L?

Unless you really thrive on attention, please send your nasty/sarcastic comments to me in PM. I promise t read them. What I am asking for here is personal experiences. This is, from what I understand, one of the reasons for these boards.

Thanks.

The name is Mercadolibe     Do you call Amazon  Anazin? 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have you considered preparing/cooking food for your dog? You can find recipes on line. For dogs that need less protein a base of either/and brown rice, potato, yam, lentils is often used and then building on as advised by a vet; peas, green beans, fish, lamb, (beef), egg, flax meal, nutritional yeast, fish oil. Most of these are inexpensive locally. I have found cooking my mutt's food is cheaper and healthier than buying ready made.