Chapala.com Webboard

No Water In House. Need help

Lexy

I got up this morning and had no running water. My landlord is away. His son tried to be helpful, but wasn't.

I live in Mirasol (Riberas). Can anyone tell my what I should do  tomorrow, Monday, when Simapa offices are open? Can I expect help from Simapa? If not, what should I do?  I would like to get on this first thing in the morning. I'd appreciate good advice.

Lexy

A few thoughts. If cleaning the filter doesn't work - excellent first step BTW: Do you have an aljibe with a lid you can open and look inside to see if you have water? That will give you some idea where the problem is. If no water, do your neighbors have water? That will tell you if it is just you or area wide.

Both have happened to us...the first happens every so often. The spot where water enters from the street (for us) has a filter on it right by the meter. Since we're at the end of the street, the little bits end up collecting and eventually clogging the flow. Since we're in CH, the workers will come, check and then empty it for us. It's a simple fix if you know what to do (but I don't). There is also a valve handle that someone turned on us one time. Check to make sure that it's not shut off there (if you have one). Also, if you have a tinaco, check that nothing was accidentally shut off. Finally, if you have an aljibe, make sure you didn't burn out the water pump. If you were watering the garden and forgot to shut off the sprinklers (or something similar), you may have run out of water and the pump kept going until it burned out. Hope you find out what's happening and get water back. I know it's a horrible feeling when it happens. 

1 hour ago, Lexy said:

I got up this morning and had no running water. My landlord is away. His son tried to be helpful, but wasn't.  live in Mirasol (Riberas). Can anyone tell my what I should do  tomorrow, Monday, when Simapa offices are open? Can I expect help from Simapa? If not, what should I do?  I would like to get on this first thing in the morning. I'd appreciate good advice.

(1) Did you check with neighbors? If not, do it now. (2) Get your landlord's son to call his father. Landlord is required to keep water coming to the house. If nothing else, maybe dad can tell the son what to try...... or else who SON should be getting in touch with.  (3) Simapa can check flow from THEIR lines to your connection. After that.........

Talk to Ferret.  She'll know more about Mirasol and water.

Thanks for your responses.

My neighbors all have water.

The aljibe has no water

Some of your advice sounds just right but I haven't a clue how to carry it out. Plus a very painful back at the moment.

Have emailed my landlord twice--and got no response. He's in Florida and has just about --abandoned would be the word.

Natasha, yes indeed he's supposed to cope with all this.

But my question is: Is this a problem I should take to Simapa in the morning? I'd love this to be a simple fix, but from a past problem with the water, it involved digging up the street in front of the house.

Lexy

Most likely you have a plugged line at your shutoff valve.  One thing I have done that worked was to shut the valve fully and then reopen it.

Do you have a water meter?  Those tend to get plugged as well.  

You can try calling Arturo, he lives right around the corner in Riberas.  3336612193

10 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Sounds like the pump is out to me...

Unlikely since the pump will be after the aljibe.  But if you do have a pump, Lexy, make sure it is shut off until the problem is fixed.  Otherwise it may burn out for lack of water cooling and lubrication.

• Like 1

Check the float (same as in toilet tank) in the aljibe. Crud builds up and it gets stuck in the up position. Move it up and down. Quick fix but good idea to replace with new one if that's the problem. 

• Like 1