Chapala.com Webboard

Driving from the US to Lake Chapala

I was just wondering if anyone has driven from the US to Lake Chapala, and how safe it is?

I am considering driving from Laredo, TX to Lake Chapala in June.

Also, if anyone has a reliable contact for rental property in the area, please provide me their information.

Thank you,

Dante

1 hour ago, DanteNXS said:

I was just wondering if anyone has driven from the US to Lake Chapala, and how safe it is?

I am considering driving from Laredo, TX to Lake Chapala in June.

Also, if anyone has a reliable contact for rental property in the area, please provide me their information.

Thank you,

Dante

What is your idea of safe?

• Like 1

Be careful, as some of those drivers are old expats with poor vision, slow reactions, and a fear of hills and curves. Some are even afraid to stop to explore small towns, or visit a roadside restaurant, as they might be expected to be able to read a menu in Spanish, or even say 'hola', as etiquette requires in Mexico.

Enjoy your trip, and stop to smell the roses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Suggest crossing border at Columbia Bridge. Opens at 8 am. If you have a good GPS, you should make it to Ajijic in under 12 hrs. The route thru SLP and Lagos de Mareno is preferable to the route thru Zacatecas and Aguscaliente. There is an exit off the cuota on the north side of Monterrey to direct you to SLP. 

9 hours ago, tomgates said:

Suggest crossing border at Columbia Bridge. Opens at 8 am. If you have a good GPS, you should make it to Ajijic in under 12 hrs. The route thru SLP and Lagos de Mareno is preferable to the route thru Zacatecas and Aguscaliente. There is an exit off the cuota on the north side of Monterrey to direct you to SLP. 

That would assume one is overnighting north of Laredo.  Crossing in Laredo going south takes the same amount of time as Columbia. From my hotel in Laredo to Chapala usually takes 11 hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, geeser said:

You will need about $100 in MXN pesos for the toll roads Laredo  to Chapala. There is a nice hotel HSP Hotel San Pedro in the center of the toll road with secure parking 5-6 hours south of Laredo. Do not drive at night on Mexico's highways.

Last trip my toll pass registered $1519 and rates have gone up since then.