Chapala.com Webboard

Riberas Water Quality

Posted comments suggest Riberas del Pilar plagued with water problems.   Such as sand in the well servicing Riberas, sulphur smell, service frequently shut down for repair, high water table causing back up of sewage and standing gray water.   
Are all areas affected?   What locations are or are not?  Thanks 

Nearly all homes in Riberas have a septic tank not a municipal sewer line. Never had a problem with it but I know what can go into it and what can't. The water IS sandy and a simple filter takes out nearly all of it. Wash filter monthly or replace and re-install. I've never smelled sulphur in the water either hot or cold. However, if you have a tank style water heater the cathode may need to be replaced. I have an on demand flow through water heater. I also have a water purification system for potable water under the kitchen sink. The municipal water doesn't deliver all day every day day which is why you need a tinaco and/or an aljibe, preferably both. The street water goes straight up to my tinaco and I use my aljibe only for emergencies... three emergencies both my fault because I forgot to clean the filter and it got clogged. Hope this helps. And I've lived in this house since May of 2016.

• Like 2

Most (possibly all) of the "standing gray water" in Riberas is not the fault of the water table but the allowed process of connecting the washing machine and dishwasher to a simple gravity drain to the street.  It is a mess and can start to smell funky if left standing.  It also eventually ends up in the lake.  The thinking seems to be that the actual septic tanks will then need to be pumped less often.  None of them have a leach field as there is not room to do that in most cases.  The advantage Riberas has is that since it is mostly lower in elevation the wells that service it almost never run out of water.  Many subdivisions (like Los Cumbres) that are way up the hill, are still not able to drill a well because there is not enough mountain ground water up that high.  They bring in water trucks to fill the aljibes.  Generally all wells around here have sandy water and everybody has a system in place to deal with it.  Some cotos and fracs have their own wells and do a little filtering before delivery to homes some don't.  During the dry months you'll notice more water issues as well levels drop.  One of the many charms of small town Mexican life that some folks aren't inclined to deal with.

Alan

• Like 2