Chapala.com Webboard

wifi and landlines keeping u.s. phone numbers

I just got my permanent visa and will be arriving in LC on May 1. I will be keeping a u.s. address with my Denver based daughter for mail that she can scan and send to me via email and also (sneaky I know) in order to keep Vanguard which does't operate outside of the U>S>

I have a very old laptop and had a tech in to suggest what I should do -clean it up , take it with me and hope I get another year or two of use -get a chromebook - or  a newer reconditioned laptop here instead of waiting until I get to Mexico.  During the course of our discussion, he cautioned agai nst using unencripted wifi  for any banking information I may need to do with Scwab - he could somehow keep my Portland phone number by transferring it into a black box of somesort so I could use that number when I need a two step varification code which is now used here almost univerally.  He also said I could just take my physical  landline which is now internet connected with my computer through Comcast.  I do intend to get a mobile when I arrive with a Mexican phone number for use locally.  

That is the basic situation - the basic question is - what do most of you do when contacting your financial insitutions safely from LC - do you still have a US number and if so, how does that work.  Do you get a dedicated wifi code that you can safely use

I am mentally challenged about all things tech - and when talking to the "experts" they go on and on not realizing they are giving me far too much info for me to digest.  So a simple - practical - do this - go there - list of instructions would be very much appreciated.  This site has been extremely valuable to me - I found a great condo for six months - and the promise of another one in april 2023 for a long term lease - so this tech stuff is my biggest hurdle so far - the suggestion was that I get a reconditioned newer laptop here 

it all makes my head hurt.  dorothy Slater

Definitely replace your old laptop while you are up there, right away so if there are any problems you can address there.

We use a VPN based in Dallas for all our communications with the U.S.  We also maintain a legal U.S. address in TX.

Change your passwords for financial institutions often, use a different PW for each institution.  Get a good antivirus on your new laptop, I suggest PCMatic.

You are being way to technical.  We have Telmex which furnishes us wifi and a landline.  We never use the landline as the mobile phones from the states work fine here.  You can phone both the the states and make Mexican phone calls on one.  I use Cricket as a provider and have no problems here.  Laptops are cheap in the states now and I recommend you buy a new one in the states and bring here.  Selection of laptops is not great and they are more expensive in Mexico.

One of the main reasons to get a laptop in the U.S. is because it will have an English keyboard and an English operating system. If you have any computer problems here, you can contact Luis Algarin. He makes housecalls and speaks English (because tech can be hard enough without the language barrier). 332-340-7501 or landline 376-688-1354. Usually his assistant Kia Estrada does the housecalls but she is awaiting the birth of her daughter. He helped an 88 year old friend with a computer problem at her home recently.

• Like 2

good to know aoubt helpng an 88 year old - - she is even older than I am so if he can work with her, I would be easy - and yes I am going to get a computer here  - I have been convinced - BUT i do plan on  getting a mobile in mexico - and a track phone to use in the airport etc - I have only a little flip for emergencies here - Mexico is bringing me into the 21st centure - who knews - dorothy

Just a thought... you can get an "unlocked" phone of your choice in the U.S. with dual sim card capabilities. Use the U.S. sim card for your banking in the U.S. (inform them of your new number) and the other sim card you can purchase in Mexico. Phones are also cheaper in the U.S.

If I have screwed up describing dual sim card capabilities, I'm sure someone will post the info here.

i went to tmobile for their advice about buying here/there - they said i should buy there but obviously i need a "second opinion" - i started traveling when the only thing you needed to communicate was an american express office - what was it that edith used to sing with husband archie bunker  on all in the family - those were the days?   

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Just a thought... you can get an "unlocked" phone of your choice in the U.S. with dual sim card capabilities. Use the U.S. sim card for your banking in the U.S. (inform them of your new number) and the other sim card you can purchase in Mexico. Phones are also cheaper in the U.S.

If I have screwed up describing dual sim card capabilities, I'm sure someone will post the info here.

I think you've done a good job describing them. 😃 

Another option is just a cheap second phone. It's nice to have a backup in case of damage or loss. 

Amen to that Whipstock! Murphy's Law is alive and kicking here. So, following Whipstock's advice, keep your flip phone with your U.S. number and just buy a cheap flip phone here and use the Amigo plan on it. The Amigo card's are available at all Oxxo stores (that's a convenience store here). Ana can help you since she sells the phones, sim cards and will put your contacts from your U.S. phone into your new Mexican phone. She is opposite Chopsticks restaurant in the Bugambilia's plaza. Very accommodating and also speaks English. Best of both worlds and gets you functional in both countries without too much of a learning curve.

All good advice for you, except from T-Mobile.  You want to make your phone and computer purchases in the U.S.

Agree that having a dual sim card is best for your phone -- one from the U.S. for financial institutions and also one for here.   Or, you can get MagicJack with a US number and do your financial interactions that way ! 

Also, the TelMex landline calls to the US for personal use are free, part of your monthly bill. 

yes a friend sent me the ad - i asked the tech guy what was the difference between a chromebook and a laptop and he pointed out that the chrome book ,because it idoes not have a windows operating system  canot provide WORD or outlook - i don't use word much but do occasionally and outlook is my alternate email - is that what you understand - i read all the reviews and they all seem to think it is fine -most of my computer work is emai, reading or watching some mind polluting political stuff so i don't need anything that does everything - but the word and outlook is handy - d

19 hours ago, dottiejane said:

.... he pointed out that the chrome book ,because it.....  cannot provide WORD or outlook -

You have been given incorrect information. Chromebook has long provided support for Office products. Last year Microsoft did announce that they would no longer support.... meaning provide updates for.... these products BUT instead one can use them 'in the cloud with support. You will basically notice no difference.

Having said that I personally would just buy a refurbished Windows laptop in the US and bring it down.

If your financial institution requires a number to text a code to for certain transactions best get a US basic cell. I have a TMobile pay as you go that costs $3.00 per month. There is a small charge for texts received outside the US. I turn it on when I need to receive something.  Landlines that are VOIP such as magic Jack, OOMA,Vonage  etc are now being rejected by many financial institutions for sending a voice message or a call to verify. 

Since I don't know correct from incorrect information re computers et al, I appreciate the help given to me frlm all of you.  Part of the problem, I am finding, is that while a lot of the tech people know exactly what is going on in the US , the have no idea about Mexico - never having lived there.   -- Most , however, refuse to think that what they know about the US isn't translatable to Mexico.  Hence, I double check with folks like you - d

22 hours ago, dottiejane said:

yes a friend sent me the ad - i asked the tech guy what was the difference between a chromebook and a laptop and he pointed out that the chrome book ,because it idoes not have a windows operating system  canot provide WORD or outlook - i don't use word much but do occasionally and outlook is my alternate email - is that what you understand - i read all the reviews and they all seem to think it is fine -most of my computer work is emai, reading or watching some mind polluting political stuff so i don't need anything that does everything - but the word and outlook is handy - d

5 hours ago, dottiejane said:

If you use Chromebook you don't have to use Ms Word or Excel for the free Google Docs  and Google Sheets instead.