Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Expat Experience


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

WHHHHHHHHAT!!!!!!!! Is this happyjillin or has he been hijacked from behind the 8 Ball!!!

Yes it's me happyjillin aka pedro kertesz and I even agreed with you for a change-eh! northtek is clearly a border promotion kinda guy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

 

 

I am Canadian! I migrated to San Diiego over 40 years ago. I know what typical Canadians are like. I know what typical Californians are like. Your small mindedness is apparent in this case.

My mind is larger[open] than a promoter of stereotypes like you. You know nada about Canadians it seems.

 

pedro kertesz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Fred Habacht said:

This one was easier than most......he just showed his ### more and more as he posted....near the end I though he was going to ask for gas money for his car.

That's a beauty-I can't stop laughing! GAS MONEY-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

My mind is larger[open] than a promoter of stereotypes like you. You know nada about Canadians it seems.

 

pedro kertesz

Apparently you don't know as much as you think you do. I know much more about Canadians than you do obviously.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Apparently you don't know as much as you think you do. I know much more about Canadians than you do obviously.

Yer joking right! You know more about Canadians than me,A Canadian, who has even been a politician in CANADA and pay taxes  there even now and nowhere else. TRIPLE SNORK!!!

guad reporter.jpg

links id.JPG

honorifico.jpg

pedro on the plaque.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I do not consider what I said as insult...just advise!!! At least spend some time here soaking in the atmosphere and getting a little experience with the history before coming onto a board like this where many us here have heard of these types of grand ideas before. Plus you are all over the place with your ideas and now we have to hear about all your problems with your wife's parents SUV and bringing your truck from Canada. First you were not looking for any funding and then you are realizing that this is going to be expensive. Then its about expats experience and then a sort of local travelogue. Now, I'm a guy who has been around the block a few times and this seems like an old fashioned fishin' expedition to me!!! 

That's fair enough, as I am sure my motives will be criticized, as everyone will see things with a different perspective than mine. I will have conflicting ideas, as unfortunately it is part of my particular creative prosses. I will often second guess myself. But with that, the primary message is an expat experience, what to do and where to go to make the most of it. As far as a fish expedition, not sure what you think I am fishin for, because outside of advise, there is nothing here to be had.

The truck is one area I will admit perplexes me, But all good now, as I found a solution anyway. so the concern is no longer there. I was hoping for advice, but as usual, there was none to be had. Just more of the same, people offering criticism but no actual advise.

But let me again clarify about funding, I have no intentions of looking for funding here. Also I have no idea what a "border promo" anyone care to explain?

Truthfully I have been chomping at the bit hoping to get things done, but I am finding out that in Mexico, there is a different way things are done, so it may seem as a hem and haw thing going on, but I can assure you that I am experiencing frustration as well as life here simply follows its own rules and I am learning to deal with it too.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Yer joking right! You know more about Canadians than me,A Canadian, who has even been a politician in CANADA and pay taxes  there even now and nowhere else. TRIPLE SNORK!!!

guad reporter.jpg

links id.JPG

honorifico.jpg

pedro on the plaque.jpg

WOWIE ZOWIE !

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Yes it's me happyjillin aka pedro kertesz and I even agreed with you for a change-eh! northtek is clearly a border promotion kinda guy

"Northtek is clearly a border promotion kinda guy" Ok, seriously, what is a border promo?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plus I think I need to lay a little truth on you guys that think I am here just to do some kind of hustle. I honestly could not care a less if this makes money or not, as this is what I love to do and would do it regardless. Secondly, the money that could be made here would be a small fraction of what I make back at home. So it is way easier for me to fly home, make money, then come here and enjoy it by doing something I love to do. 

So yes, it would be nice to think that one could make a living here, but lets be serious, the local economy here simply could not support the wages that Canadians and Americans are used too. 

Thirdly, it would be nice to recoup the money I spend, but that is also not a requirement, because even though I want to buy things that would add to the production value or make it easier, I also know that I should already have enough.

Lastly I think people need to get over themselves, as Chapala is nice, but being there doesn't make you anymore important than anyone else. So if you are just thinking someone is here just to grift you or take what you have, just relax and settle down, I do well enough on my own and just here trying to make the most of the experience, which for the first time is getting to do a show without having to worry about funding.

So chill people, if someone asks for your advice, then just give it, dont give into these paranoid beliefs that everyone is just out to get your money or dogpile just so you can pretend that you are some how a better person.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I think this is the longest thread about NOTHING I have seen here...and I have seen a few!!!

Given the credentials you have given, maybe I am expecting to much from you as this isn't really witty or creative, plus I get it , this subject is not your thing, but seriously, if you have no advice or constructive criticism, then why waste everyone's time with these derogatory comments. It adds nothing to the conversation and says that instead of doing something of value, you would rather just devalue what others are doing, so I have to ask why?

Is this a mean kids thing, in that you think it will make you more popular with the people here that have nothing to offer other than their mean spiritedness?

I mean seriously people, This site has a bad enough reputation for ill natured people, so you dont need to go that far out of your way to ruin the experience of people just because you have nothing better to do. Plus its no wonder they call us gringos here, as this site just showcases how entitled and self-serving we are as a people.

  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Northtek said:

Plus its no wonder they call us gringos here, as this site just showcases how entitled and self-serving we are as a people.

If you actually are interested in learning about Mexican culture, Canadians  are not considered to be "gringoes" by any of the Mexicans I know and have talked to. Gringo is a term that refers to Americans. It is not used by  Mexicans to mean "foreigner". The term for foreigner is "extranjero". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

If you actually are interested in learning about Mexican culture, Canadians  are not considered to be "gringoes" by any of the Mexicans I know and have talked to. Gringo is a term that refers to Americans. It is not used by  Mexicans to mean "foreigner". The term for foreigner is "extranjero". 

I guess you do not know very many Mexicans 😉 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

If you actually are interested in learning about Mexican culture, Canadians  are not considered to be "gringoes" by any of the Mexicans I know and have talked to. Gringo is a term that refers to Americans. It is not used by  Mexicans to mean "foreigner". The term for foreigner is "extranjero". 

Here comes the Nun...with something even more off course, and a repetition of this ridiculous claim that she seems to be obsessed with...Who cares???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mudgirl is technically correct on terminology but way off on terms of usage.  Any english speaking person can and will be labeled a gringo or gabacho.  They don't ask to see your passport first.  Any light skinned European may be called a gringo even if they are speaking a totally different language than English.  Because to many Mexicans they might not always be able to distinguish which language a person is speaking while passing them on the streets.  Even Afro-Americans can and will be called gringos.  Chicanos too.  If they perceive you as looking or acting like an American than they will call you gringo.  Period.  And unfortunately Americans often times do the very same thing.  If you look or sound like how Americans think a Mexican should look or sound like, then you are Mexican.  It doesn't matter if you are really Guatemalan, Argentinian, or a Spaniard for that matter.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Mudgirl is technically correct on terminology but way off on terms of usage.  Any english speaking person can and will be labeled a gringo or gabacho.  They don't ask to see your passport first.  Any light skinned European may be called a gringo even if they are speaking a totally different language than English.  Because to many Mexicans they might not always be able to distinguish which language a person is speaking while passing them on the streets.  Even Afro-Americans can and will be called gringos.  Chicanos too.  If they perceive you as looking or acting like an American than they will call you gringo.  Period.  And unfortunately Americans often times do the very same thing.  If you look or sound like how Americans think a Mexican should look or sound like, then you are Mexican.  It doesn't matter if you are really Guatemalan, Argentinian, or a Spaniard for that matter.

Exactly...and when was the last time that you heard a Mexican refer to a person as an "extranjero" ???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoneyBee said:

I guess you do not know very many Mexicans 😉 

You guess wrong. I know plenty, have lived in Mexico for 20 years, and speak Spanish. 

Of course if a Mexican doesn't personally know someone, they might call anyone who is obviously not Mexican a gringo, but if they know that you are not American, they will tell you that you are not considered to be a "gringo".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dichosalocura said:

Even Afro-Americans can and will be called gringos.  

If they are American, they are gringos. The term doesn't refer to  the color of one's skin, it technically refers to American nationality.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

Here comes the Nun...

I know you think that's such a clever insult that you seem to use it to put down every post I submit (who's obsessed here?) but considering that I'm of 100% Jewish heritage, you might want to work on a more apropos insult.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

If you actually are interested in learning about Mexican culture, Canadians  are not considered to be "gringoes" by any of the Mexicans I know and have talked to. Gringo is a term that refers to Americans. It is not used by  Mexicans to mean "foreigner". The term for foreigner is "extranjero". 

Yes my wife's family is Mexican, so we joke about it often, But it has also come to mean more depending on the person, we as Canadians were not included before as we had a reputation of being polite. Unfortunately that reputation is slowly being erased by many people coming and acting like gringo's. Meaning those that flaunt their wealth or act like they are better. 

I joke with her mom and say I am her favorite gringo, as they would not consider me one. but I also have to walk a fine line as it easy to come off as entitled simply because there is a big difference in what people are paid here, so I try and be mindful of what I say.

I do my best to learn as I go along as my preconception of Mexico before moving here were way off. But marring a Mexican woman, well I am getting a crash course if I want it or not.

But I think there is a lot of things to learn, foremost is respect, as I try and respect everyone. They wont use the term gringo if they feel respected.

This is our biggest problem, respect here seems almost nonexistent, if you dont respect people here than I cant imagine it changes much when you go out into public. If it does change, well then, that just shows what kind of person you are. But if people act the same way in public as they do here, then we deserve the title of gringo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I know you think that's such a clever insult that you seem to use it to put down every post I submit (who's obsessed here?) but considering that I'm of 100% Jewish heritage, you might want to work on a more apropos insult.

exactly or at least be funny. As I think he thinks he is being witty, but it just comes off as derogatory and condescending. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

If they are American, they are gringos. The term doesn't refer to  the color of one's skin, it technically refers to American nationality.

 

 

 

 

Again, why are you so obsessed with this? This is a term used here by Mexicans that nowadays is mostly endearing and funny. In most cases It has NO relationship to nationality. Look at the name I use here, do you think that if I felt it derogatory I would use it??? PLUS I am half Canadian on my mothers side...so where does that leave me??? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...